Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/129/110

Height: 5'1"

Default Normal Weight Training VS Body Pump

I have been lifting pretty regularly the past few years. I hit a plateau, so I had a new training program made about a month ago. It's pretty hardcore and helped me bit my plateau (6 months was too long!!!).

Although I love my new training program, the other day I tried out body pump for the first time. I loved it! It pushed me harder than I could do just by myself.

So, my question is: Is it okay to substitute a day or two of my strength training program a week with body pump? What does everyone think? I usually aim towards doing weights three times a week and cardio 4-6 times a week if I have time.
meowies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:08 AM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

I totally agree that I work harder in a body pump class - in fact it's nearly aerobic. It certainly makes me do lots more squats than I'd do on my own I dont' do it anymore, mostly because they changed the times it's offered and it doesn't fit with my schedule

Can you substitute it for other weight training? Don't know.... Sorry.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #3  
Mel

Becuase bodypump is nearly aerobic, it is completely different from classic resistance training. You fatigue yourself and your muscles through high repetion and quick motion rather than progressive overload. They are great combined, but do give your muscles some recover time. Depending on your goals, bodypump mayy or may not be the right place. If you are already doing cardio and weight training, it's really just a little of each, choreographed. You won't get the full benefits of progressive weight training, but it is fun if you enjoy group exercise.

If you are already fit, it's probably not going to be a plateau buster other than the fact that you are getting MORE exercise. But if you enjoy it, it's great!

Don't forget to rest sometimes
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #4  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I don't really know much about the science of body pump vs traditional lifting, but I know this summer I did a few body pump style classes and rarely did traditional lifting, whereas now I'm doing the opposite. This summer I couldn't lose weight at all, whereas now it's coming off a lot easier. So I'm inclined to say body pump isn't as good as traditional lifting? But really, it's whatever gets you to the gym!
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote