Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #1  
Mel

Default Lift and Chat! December 15 - December 31, 2007

Last thread of the year my lovelies!

I just got back from a scandalously inexpensive run to Ann Taylor Loft after training this morning. My dd has a friend who does PR work for Ann Taylor and Loft, and they sent out friends and Family coupons for 30% off the entire weekend, which could be forwarded to other friends and family! It included already marked down and special sale items. I made out like a bandit! I'm headed out later to a different Ann Taylor to see si if they have the pants and jacket I was looking for in my size.

Workout- I did a minor leg workout with my clients this morning. Nothing really heavy, but enough to really tire me.

Food- Getting back to normal after yesterday's chocolate therapy. It doesn't work.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

LYDIA - how's the little schmoopy?? Ugh - I've so been there! Last week in fact! DD2 started feeling icky Friday nite so Saturday am meant calling in to the doc at 8:30 when they opened to get an appt and try to get it all done before having to leave at 9:30 for a swim meet for DD1. I had missed the previous 2 for her being sick or bad weather, so I really didn't want to miss this one. (We made it) The good thing was, it meant all 3 of us would be on biotics at the same time, therefore clearing our house of the strep for once (I hope). Dh was the only one who didn't get it. No surprise at ALL to the moms in this forum, I'm SURE!

MEL: How dare you start the thread like that w/o providing a complete inventory as to what you got?!?! You are crueweeelllll! Now you will also have to provide links to their website or images as well!

Hope all of you who either had or are in the path of this snowstorm stay safe & warm.

Last edited by sportmom; 12-15-2007 at 09:47 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #3  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Morning Everyone!

I also hope that anyone affected by the storm is safe and sound. I, for one, am staying right here on the couch...until, of course, I'm forced out there to do a little shoveling. Wow...that's a lot of snow! I don't remember the last time we got dumped on like this but I'm thankful that it's Sunday and that I don't have to go anywhere today. It's a good day for some laundry, cleaning a putting some soup on the stove.

I had a surprisingly good food/exercise week. I was quite pleased to be down a couple of pounds. But then I go up and down so easily, it doesn't mean too too much. I had my company holiday lunch yesterday where I did fine but treated myself to the most delicious piece of strawberry shortcake. One of my favourites and I enjoyed every bite. The last day or two hasn't been too great but I hope to get right back to it tomorrow.

I hope everyone (and their families) are feeling better today. It sucks being sick.

Mel - Sounds like an amazing sale. I know Ann Taylor Loft is an absolute favourite of one of my friends. Oh, and hey, your email with that coupon must have gotten lost in cyberspace because I just haven't seen it! I would love to see some pictures though. I could really use some new clothes and maybe I'll get inspired.

Stay warm and healthy.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #4  
Meg

Elisa, how are those pesky shoulders doing these days?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hello all

I've been having fun with my kettlebells and I have one more week until my vacation. The clothes I bought a couple months ago a size smaller for the trip? They fit

DH even started picking up the kettlebells but I think he isn't quite sure about them, probably after seeing the bruises on my arm He does seem to like them though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #6  
Out there trying

Meg - thanks for thinking of me and asking! About the same, I'd say. Some days much better than others. It's been quite a while since I had one of those "can't lift my arms days". Mostly it's just certain types of strain. Like I went to put away a 2L bottle of diet coke and reaching up with it didn't feel so good. I'm still really focusing on trying to identify what exercises help/hurt. No, I still haven't made it to the doctor. Admittedly, I'm procrastinating but I have to go for a checkup anyway in the new year so I'll probably just wait and mention it then.

Now, it's time for some shoveling...unless of course that's bad for the shoulders!

Where's everybody else? Stuck in the snow somewhere?

ooh, you wait long enough to shovel and the sidewalk snowplow comes along!! One small positive of living on a main street!
Old 12-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #7  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

We got 2.7 inches yesterday when we were supposed to get only 1. Not like it matters, we're already up to 24 inches so far this December. The average for the whole month in this area is about 10. I wouldn't be surprised if we break the record soon. But enough bragging. I've got to look into going cross country skiing sometime after new year's.

elisa - I am a huge fan of puttering around the house and putting some soup on when it snows!

No gym this weekend, but a lot of other things taken care of. E-mail a few prospective musicians for the wedding, worded the invitations, shopped/made/shipped gifts, grocery shopped, etc. Might do a little UBWO here at home before I start dinner now, I've got to remember that I can still work out at home if I don't have the time/inclination to go to the gym

Is Christmas really only 9 days away?
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Neliebell, congrats on the size ahead victory!!! Woohoo!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:15 PM   #9  
Mel

BRAVO, neliebelle!

I did your "face the wall" kettle bell squats yesterday with clients- boy are they hard! I haven't lifted for a week, and was mildly sore from using about a 35lb bell. That's about 1/4 of my usual starting weight for squats Doing that exercise really forces you to use perfect form and ALL your muscles!

Ann Taylor Loft was so much fun that I went back today and bought a lot of clothes for my dd for Christmas. If they don't fit, she can exchange or return.

Sorry- no pictures and the website really doesn't show what I bought! Maybe pictures later

Hope all the snowbelt folks are warm! Elisa- I think shoveling is probably dreadful for your shoulders!

Mel
Old 12-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I am a huge fan of puttering around the house and putting some soup on when it snows!
It didn't snow here, but I did make some soup yesterday! Of course the temperature was right at zero, so that counts as much as snow. I just used the rest of some kale, braised it, added some chopped up leek and garlic, and carrots. Cooked that all down til it was tender, then added it to some white beans in chicken broth. The only spice I added was some herbs de provance (?) and some pepper. Yummy and filling.

Grocery shopping today, and then a CSA box on Tuesday, and I'm drowning in fruits and veggies again - a good thing! Got a box of clementines for under $5, plus $3 off a turkey, 2 for 1 eggs, and quart-sized yogurt for $1.69. (Oh, and a sale on chicken livers for the cat! ) We've been invited out for Christmas dinner, but I like to have a small turkey anyway. This one is only 10#, and it'll still last us awhile.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #11  
Mel

Good morning
Everybody panicking yet?

I slept through the night for the first time in a week and a half! No hacking!!! Got up early and did 1/2 an hour of "spin and knit" on the exercise bike. I'm frantically making scarves for the last few people on my list. Not yet up to real cardio, so at least I get some exercise an can multi-task

I'll attempt the gym for the first time in a week at lunch. Oh boy am I going to be sore

Stay warm and safe whomever is snowbound! Elisa, I do NOT miss living in Toronto right now, but as we always said, it's better than Buffalo

Mel
Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #12  
Out there trying

Well, I got to work okay, even with all the snow...but I haven't seen anyone else yet! Thanks to public transit, I'm safe and sound. And, thanks to my DH, I didn't have to do any shoveling!

I hope things get back to normal here and I can get to the gym at lunch.

Mel - love the "spin and knit" idea...now that's multi-tasking! And yes, who would want to live in Buffalo?? sorry to anyone I've insulted here!

Happy Monday!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #13  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Shoulder rehab

Just popping in to say that Krista Scott-Dixon has a shoulder rehab video on YouTube.

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/stumptuousblog.php

It's cold here, I'm getting my third (or so) cold of the autumn and winter but ... I did a very good 'push' workout this morning.

I'm still reading but most of the time I lack the brainspace to write.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:56 AM   #14  
Out there trying

Silverbirch - thanks so much for posting that link! I'm off to check it out...
Old 12-18-2007, 06:03 AM   #15  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Morning, ladies & lurker gents.

I'm up early this morning. Couldn't sleep for all the tasks rushing through my head. Of course, the heat-seeking missile of a cat sleeping half on my head didn't help either.

It's the last push before my gym closes for the break, so I'm determined to make it ever day. Yesterday I tried a back day for the first time since my elbow starting hurting in a tendonitis-y kind of way (about 10 days ago). Deads were fine. Yates rows were fine. Back hyperextensions were fine, of course. Pullups? Not so much. In fact, I think I identified the culprit. RATS!

Maybe a 2-week break will be a Good Thing.

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote