Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default I'm a bit confused...pre-op diet or no pre-op diet, that is the question... LOL

I read here that we should follow our Dr.s requirements to the T and my doctor's office said no pre-surgery diet is necessary but don't gain weight... again, confused...gaining is what I do best!

I understand what they mean by the surgery being higher in risk if I gain too much and then there is the issue of the size of one's liver when you are having a Lap RNY and I will do whatever necessary to make it as easy and safe as possible.

I just don't want to "diet" at the moment... I feel like I am letting go of food one meal at a time...it's like quitting smoking, (10 years in March...woohoo!) it's the idea and anticipation of deprivation is the cause of most of my concern. Is this the wrong thing to do as long as I don't gain...well "too much"?

He said no pre-op diet and I want to "let go" of the thing in my life I hate the most and love to have...control of my food intake...in a slower way. I don't want to switch my obsessive tendencies from compulsively eating the food to compulsively controling my food, do I?

Thus the title.

Thanks for letting me air my worries here.

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Angela - many docs - not all of them - recommend losing 10% of your body weight before the surgery. with a starting weight of 326, that means they might ask you to lose 32 pounds or so. you've already lost 29 pounds!

sooooo, since every single one of us has different docs, different ISSUES, different weights. and your doc says that you dont' have to do a special pre-op diet, i'm thinking that as long as you continue what you're doing, and DON'T GAIN, you'll be fine!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:07 AM   #3  
carvinmom

S/C/G: 359/254/150

Height: 5'5''

hi angela, most important is follow your own doctors orders all the time... im so thankful i had a good surgeon and staff . i would like to mention though that one thing that helped me with surgery and a speedy recovery was my pre op readiness. i decided to put myself on a lowcarb low fat diet , not only for a safer surgery but to get myself ready for my new lifestyle after surgery. Theres things you just wont be able to have after surgery , for awhile, so why not practice now.. pop is one.. no carbination. i did a lot of research, reading and sip sip sip and chew chew chew before surgery!! I was ready when the day came and was in the hospital three days, came home and im in my third month now with very little problems.. ive only thrown up once!! I really believe praticing before surgery was the smartest thing i could do,start now... Find that protein drink you can tolerate .... theres so many out there to choose from.. and its your top of the list drink.!! Do exactly as they tell you and you will be fine... Get ready,make a new venture to better health , dont for get you little travel bag.......the date gets here fast!!
carvinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:15 AM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default Thank you!

both of you, thank you for your good sound advice...I agree and will try to follow it all to a T.

I have quit soda for the most part and do think about chewing my food more...I have a great protein powder I just found to be wonderful hot! LOL and I think the idea of changing my lifestyle now is a good one. Hard to let go of my years of overeating but I am SOOO ready to!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-17-2007 at 03:15 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Angela!!
Sounds like you are armed with info and ready! So glad you found a protein Powder! I do mine hot too!
Even now I count my chews and I do need to remind myself to sip It makes for a happier tummy.
Do you take Vitamins? Get in the habit that is the one thing I have to keep reminding myself to do!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote