Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Back on Disability

UGH my fibromyalgia has been gettingi worse. I left work on Thursday. The pain was so bad. I don't even generally take meds maybe tylenol.
I went to my physiatrist who told me "you look good but you don't look good"
She gave me Lyrica, Ultram and Celebrex. So far I've just taken the Lyrica and Feel Like I'm in a cloud. I'm off work for a month to rest/get used to the Lyrica.
Day 1 hasn't been bad. I noticed the all emcompassing exhaustion was gone till around now so I'm just going to wrap up in a blanket and watch Xmas Movies with the kitty.DH worked all night and all day He's asleep down here b/c he was afraid to have me be on my own.
It felt like the floor was moving on it's own. Who needs thrill rides
ANyway I'll be posting more at least
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Why aren't you taking the Ultram and the Celebrex? Did the doctor want you to stagger the start dates, or are you just trying to "get by" with as little medication as you can? (I don't really have to know, just you to consider that getting the pain under control may be more important than "toughing it out" any more than you have to). My husband was prescribed Lyrica for his diabetic neuropathy, and the "thrill ride," lasted about 10 days, before the side effects subsided.

I have fibro too, and unfortunately have had to go on SSDI for it. When it was "just" pain, I managed at work fine, but when fatigue joined the party I couldn't work anymore (I was not only falling asleep at my desk, but in the car on the way to and from work - hubby had to start doing all the driving). At it's worst I was sleeping up to 20 hours a day (not just "in bed" 20 hours, but unconscious, sleeping 20 hours). I've got my fibro under "fair" control now except for flares that are triggered by extreme weather changes (I think it's barometric pressure, because it's not temperature). I have to keep a very consistent medication and sleep routine though, or I will suffer for it. Most days I need about 10 - 12 hours of sleep to function normally. That still seems like a lot, but it's a lot better than it was.

I take Tramadol (generic Ultram) and it's been a godsend for me. I never noticed any drowsiness or other "druggy" effects, but I have to take 1 - 2 tablets at least three times a day. At first it felt wrong to take medications before I felt pain, but so many of my doctors have said it, that it's finally sunk in, that when you're dealing with a chronic pain disorder, pain is a lot easier to prevent than to try to reduce or get rid of.

I also take amitryptiline (I think that's misspelled) at bedtime to help me sleep, because my flares are closely associated with sleep deprivation and insomnia. Celebrex didn't work at all for me, so I was taking relafen (an older NSAID), but had to stop taking it because it was causing asthma symptoms (it's possible that I won't be able to take any NSAIDs).

Once you've got this flare under control, you might consider asking your doctor about Provigil. It's an alertness drug, originally designed for narcoleptics. My neurologist says he uses it himself for long driving trips, because it is very safe. Supposedly it is not as harsh as most "upper" or "pep" medications. Some people do feel jittery on it, though. Over time it does lose effectiveness for some people if used regularly. I do know some fibromites who are prescribed it to take it daily, but I use it for "special occasions," such as a family wedding or some other occasion when a nap isn't really feasible. My neurologist prescribed it to "make good days better," stressing I shouldn't try to use it during a flare as a replacement for rest. I find that for me, if I take it more than two days in a row, I will get a flare as backlash. It isn't a cure, just one of the many tools I need to manage the disease.

Since the symptoms of fibro can vary so much, I don't know if any of this helps you, but I wish you the best in getting through this flare and getting your symptoms under control.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi Colleen:
Thanks so much for your input! I took the celebrex last nigh when the lyrica wore off. Its not a macho thing really I have lived with pain so long I tend to ignore it. I have cerebral palsy, erbs palsy in my right arm and the fibro since I was 15 I'm 31 now. My Mom said I had pain as a tiny kid too tho I don't remember.
I'm hesitant to take the ultram mainly b/c I get zonked from Kids cold meds and I'm wacked from 50 mgs of Lyrica.
DH had a firecall this morning my alarm was going off but I literally could't get out of bed b/c everything spun each time i tried. 2 hours later he was home and helped me out.
The first time (well third time really) I had a superbad flare whne I was 17 they gave me tons of druggy meds percs baclofen yadda yadda.
Funny story: I had never taken a percocet (I only took it this one time) I thought it would be like an NSAID. I'm sitting on the floor in my bedroom and I had a telephone that was a rainbow on a cloud. I took the pill and called my gf. all of a sudden my voice sounded like Minnie Mouse and I swear the phone floated! I could never be an addict!! The baclofen just made me feel like Pink Floyd's comfortably Numb.
I've Taken Relafen Feldene the whole fam of NSAIDS I have a sensitive stomach even before the bypass and couldn't take meds for years thanks to an "brilliant" doc having me on 4 meds that were high on the incident of gastric distress.
I'll definitely check into the Provigil...Does it make your muscles tight? I pass out in meetings (boss loves that) its been attributed to my asthma but I never thought it could be the fibro
Would it be ok if I PMed you from time to time. . .I don't know anybody Here who has my sitch.
What kind of foods do you eat? I know theres more inflammatory foods but i don't know what they are!
My Physiatrist blames the weightloss for my flare up and doesn't want me to lose more but i don't want to stop progressing while i can.
ARG!
this was something I didn't think I'd have to deal with. . . Why can't I ignore something and it will go away? J/K
sorry for the rant
Kierie
Old 12-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

good heavens, kier!!!!!!! please be careful - do what you need to!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #5  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I do keep life exciting Jiff