General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Default What do you all think of these? They seem controversial...

Hey all! I'm just curious how you all feel about 100 calorie snack packs? I've heard lots of people say they're bad for you. Then again, I've heard lots of people say they live by them and they think they're wonderful.

I'm on Phase 1 of SBD, so I can't eat any of them, even if I wanted to. I'm just asking, because I've had them in the past. I know if I'm looking to eat healthier, with lots of whole grains and vegetables, I probably shouldn't eat processed foods like that anyway, right?

So, what do you all think of them??
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I don't eat that kind of snack item. I did, I'd rather buy a bag of something if I HAD to have a sugar-laden highly processed snack and package it myself in a reusable container.

I see the value of them for people who want convenience, but for me, they are too wasteful, not a good value nutritionally or ecologically.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanmoomercows View Post
I know if I'm looking to eat healthier, with lots of whole grains and vegetables, I probably shouldn't eat processed foods like that anyway, right?
I'd say yes, if you are looking to eat healthier, it's best to avoid them and eat a whole foods diet!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

The only ones I eat are the popcorn and pretzel packs. For two reasons, first I'm a calorie counter and can't spare the calories for stuff that isn't real food that will fill me up, and secondly, I'm just as likely to eat four 100 calorie bags of oreos as I am one big bag so I just don't keep them around.

I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with them. I actually think they are a good idea for kids since they teach what one portion is rather than just grabbing a huge handful.

Sure, in a perfect world we would all eat whole grains and vegis all the time. I don't know anybody who actually lives that way. Nothing wrong with a little treat now and then and these packs force you to recognize just exactly what you're eating.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm with SoulBliss on this one. Ecologically, they are a bad idea. I have a scale and reusable containers. I make my own snack packs and take them to work with me.

I am also a calorie counter, so I try to choose more nutritionally favorable foods as my snacks.

I think for most people that look down on them it is because most of them contain highly processed empty calorie foods, which are not really weight-loss friendly.

Last edited by CountingDown; 12-08-2007 at 06:27 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I've never bought or eaten them. I've looked at them out of curiousity, but there are just too many ingredients in them! Many of the ingredients I avoid (like High Fructose Corn Syrup) and others I have no idea what they are.

I agree that the packaging is wasteful. If you eat a piece of fruit for a snack, there is very little or nothing to throw away and you can compost it. So whole foods are certainly better not just for your body, but the environment too.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My problem is that they come six 100 calorie packs to a box, I wouldn't be able to stop with just one bag. I don't buy them as I know it would be a control issue for me,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

I have found with many products labeled "100 Calorie Snack Packs" that the manufacturer also makes something less expensive and with fewer calories. For example, Jell-O sugar free pudding cups are 60 calories and almost a dollar less than the 100 calorie version. Also, Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop individual packets are cheaper, also 100 calories and contain a larger amount of popcorn. The companies are paying extra for the "100 Calorie Snack Packs" logo... and so are we!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #9  

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
I have found with many products labeled "100 Calorie Snack Packs" that the manufacturer also makes something less expensive and with fewer calories. For example, Jell-O sugar free pudding cups are 60 calories and almost a dollar less than the 100 calorie version. Also, Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop individual packets are cheaper, also 100 calories and contain a larger amount of popcorn. The companies are paying extra for the "100 Calorie Snack Packs" logo... and so are we!

wow good to know this tidbit
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 207/200.2/115

I get them at sams club, I eat about 2 a day
carlskl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 267/263/170

Height: 5"7

I actually buy these for my kids. I find it's a good potion control and they are satisfied with just one pack. I think they are great for school lunches.
miraclemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Most of the 100 calorie snack packs that I see on the market are not the best food resources in general. So if you are eating them often then I would question whether you are making the best food choices.

That being said, no foods should be completely off limits. I personally prefer to use a scale and measure out my own for portion control. But there are some things where this is not practical (i.e. popcorn) or where I have to admit I have no self control (ice cream) and in that case the 100 calorie items are a great solution.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #13  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

I Purchased the oreo, chips ahoy and peanut butter varieties back in July 2007. Over the course of the last 8 months I will have ONE package when I'm really craving cookies. I can make that one little package last for a good thirty minutes just by really taking my time and enjoying the treat.

I'm on the SlimFast plan but also count calories. These snacks fit nicely into a day...but as I've said out of the 18 packages (3 boxes) I think I still have about 5 or 6 left. I use them very sparingly and only when I really want cookies. I realize that there are much healthier snacks out there, but every once in a while I want "junk food" and I figure if that's what I consider "junk food" nowadays then there has been a major shift in how I view food/treats.

I also buy the Orville Redenbacher smart pop individual packs (100 calories) and sometimes on a "Movie Night" I'll have an individual pack of popcorn, a 100 calorie Cadbury thins chocolate bar and a glass of diet soda. It's amazing how something that's only 200 calories and fairly limited fat can feel like such a huge treat. I eat so much whole grains, vegetables, fruit and lowfat dairy that something like that always feels like I'm doing what I used to really enjoy (junk food with movies) but I'm doing it smarter!

Tamara

Last edited by tleef; 02-12-2008 at 11:04 AM.
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

I just don't get when or why 100 calories became the "magic number" for snacking. I honestly dont' understand that whole concept. If I want an Oreo cookie, then I have one. However at 170 calories and 7 grams of fat for 2 cookies, I'd rather have an apple with a slice of cheese (or even dipped in some caramel).

I dunno. I know they work for some people - but I just think when you eat these, you're fooling yourself into thinking you can eat cookies or chips or whatever on a regular basis.

That and I really do try to avoid processed foods as much as possible. I find that if I concentrate on a less chemical-laden diet, I naturally fall within my calorie range for the day without struggling. When I start adding "diet" foods and processed foods, I find my calories and fats and carbs get really whacked out and imbalanced.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #15  
Weight Watcher

S/C/G: 170/168/145

I've certainly picked up a few boxes in the grocery store to look at them, but haven't purchased these for a few reasons.

-They are expensive! Compare a box of the 100 cal packs to the box of the same item that it's mini-packaged. It's twice as expensive.
-They are not "green" We recycle a lot, and find that these mini packs are not helpful to the environment
-They are full of stuff bad for you, and don't contain anything that is good for you. I'm talking white processed flour, fat and salt.

I'm no saint, and certainly crave snacks anyone else. But for right now I'm trying to watch what I eat and save treats for special occasions. I cannot have those in the house, or one bag will lead to another. Doesn't matter if the bag is 100 cal or a jumbo party size bag.
HiHoHiHo is offline   Reply With Quote