Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 12-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #1  
Token Vulcan

Red face My lowest cholesterol ever...and other NSVs :)

About 6 years ago, I reached my highest cholesterol number, 226. In the following years, I was averaging around 150. Not bad at all, I know, especially considering I was eating a lot of McDonald's, snack food, cheese, etc. Anyway, I've eaten a lot of things this year I never had before or hadn't eaten very often...soy milk, Special K, hot oatmeal, Laughing Cow light cheese wedges, Lean Cuisine, bananas, various 100-calorie-pack snacks, etc. And I found I actually LIKED it!

Anyway...even though I'm not at my goal yet, I'm ending the year 35 pounds lighter than I started it and as of this morning my cholesterol level was 112. I guess I've been lucky because even at my highest weight I didn't have any serious medical issues, not even high bp, but, at the same time, I think that also kind of gave me, in my mind, a license to keep doing the McDonald's thang, ya know?

I think the best part of what I've been doing this past year is that "what I should do" and "what I want to do" reached a truce. Heck, sometimes they were even the same thing. I modified what I was eating to include some healthier, lower calorie options and I allowed myself to indulge my snack cravings in smaller, often pre-determined portions. I even learned that I could have fun exercising and doing it at my pace.

All in all, it's been a good year.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

BRAVO!!! You've done an amazing job! Isnt it great when you have proof from the doctor that you are doing the right things?
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #3  

I am in the same boat as you trekkigirl. I have high cholesterol. Mine is 277. I am so scared that I am going to have an heartattack at such a young age. My father had suffered a heart attack around 10yrs ago, he is doing good right now, but what a scare! I am happy to hear that your cholesterol had went down by just eating properly and with modification. That is what I am going to do also. I am going to get out of denial about my high cholesterol and just face reality that I need to change my diet.
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #4  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

CONGRATS!!!
You are doing great!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

How wonderful! I haven't had mine checked in a year. I don't know if I want to know the number. It was up there. However, I, too and 35 lbs lighter and moving more. Maybe I'll have a physical after the first of the year when the insurance kicks in.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote