Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Talking WLS doesn't work on it's own, Its how you work it!

This week I have been super vigilant! I've counted my calories made sure I got in all my protien 60+ grams per day depending reincorporated protein shakes into my diet.
Most Importantly NO Carbs outside of veggies.
My ticker is lying. on monday I was 143 just too ashamed to change it
as of today I'm 137! I'm sure alot of that is water. I'm also more energetic not so tired and having control over cravings.x

I was convinced I ahd messed up my window of opportunity and would be here forever (ie the 140s) Turns out I just had clean up my habits

WLS doesn't work on it's own, Its how you work it!
YAY
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Protein supplements?

KO: I've been reading many peoples bios from many different sites and a good number of them don't incorporate protein supplements and say that they aren't to drink anything except milk with over 10 cal. How in the heck do you get your daily protein in if you don't use a supplement? I really don't like them (supplements), but without them I don't see how I can meet my goal of 78 grams. Why is it so important how we get the protein in, if just as long as we get it. If at one setting you are suppose to eat between 1/2 to 3/4 c. there is no way that it can be done just by eating. If you or anyone else has a better way, please let me know about it. I'm ranting and it is your thread. SORRY!

By the way, congrats on the 137!! That is wonderful! I know a lot of people that count the calories and it does work. I'm now trying to log and measure every thing that is going into my mouth because I know that somewhere down the road, hunger is going to come on big time and I want to be prepared. I'm encouraged by your progress!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Rant away. Truthfully without the protien my body was breaking down. a lot of what I've been eating is cottage cheese 10 grams for 1/2 cup Garbanzos 7 grams 1/2 cup string cheese is i believe 9 grams for 1 oz eggs are 6 or 7 grams per
the canned shakes have something like 15 and I'm still waiting on my unjury which i believe has 25
I couldn't really tolerate the shakes at first (soy ones were ok but anything with whey made me sick) Now I'm fine with both kinds
so I mainly did eggs/cottage cheese and string cheese and luncheon meat
I do get hungry now
last night I had black beans and pinto beans in salsa topped with shredded cheese for dinner
This AM I awakened hungry. for the first time in a long time. Eating the crap it lingers in your system and bloats you out.
My sister's solution to longer term maintenance She is 5/5 years post op is prepackaged food cottage cheese 1/2 cups the cups of apple sauce and NSA fruit anything small
I think I diversified what I Was eating too quickly (gotta love hubris) I want to try to make the protein jello one of you talked about when I get more cash

If we go out to eat I'll order an appetizer for an entree or something I know is a small entree (we're pretty known at the places we eat at) if we go for mexican I get black bean soup while my tablemates have the chips they're kryptonite for me.
Japanese is all about sashimi or tofu for me
Nan you're going to find the right mix for your body!
protein vities and water (still working on the water here!)
I'm definitely no expert! this time last week I was binging on vanilla wafers from the machine at work. It's all a learning curve! I want my curves at my goal weight!! and I want to make sure I've incorporated the tools enough so its second nature to stay there!
ok sorry for the novel!
Kier
Old 11-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #4  
Buffalo Girl

S/C/G: 220/209/128

Height: 5'1"

Does anyone know if there is a protein supplement that isn't soy or whey based? They make me sick as well - I've looked around on the web but haven't found any so far.
GrammyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

I saw this post and had to respond. I took care of a woman last weekend who is 4 years post op from her R&Y surgery. She looked like a wraith, she weighed 97lbs! I have NEVER seen someone as sick as this woman. She hasn't followed ANY of the post op protocols. She hasn't attended ANY of the post op meetings or met with our nutritionist. She has constant diarrhea, bloody stools, you name it. We are feeding her with TPN (IV nutrition) and she will probably have to go to a long term care facility until she is strong enough to go home. She is only 50 years old and looks like she is 70 years old. This has been bothering me for the past week and I wanted to post something about it, but I don't want anyone to think I'm judging them. I just want people to understand that this surgery isn't a magic wand. You HAVE to make a commitment to a life long change in diet, and supplements. I am seeing more and more people who are more than 2 years post op and nearly ALL of them have complications....almost all due to not following post op protocols. It's so sad. Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I had to get this off my chest.
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Just like with any life change there are ways to do it right and ways to do it wrong.
Grammy I don't know of any other types of shakes, but I know Cottage cheese has good protein. This AM I had 1/2 cup of black beans with salsa and melted 2% cheese that came out to the similar calories and protein to my atkins shake
Old 12-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #7  
Buffalo Girl

S/C/G: 220/209/128

Height: 5'1"

Thank you, KO - I need to learn to explore options and not be so black & white about this stuff. I think it's called "getting my creative cells to wake up and jam" (LOL) I'm hoping that lapband surgery allows one to be a bit more liberal than the gastric bypass with all its dumping problems. (It took my DH a long time to figure out what he can and can't eat - so much hidden stuff in processed food (even soup, bread, etc.)
GrammyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default I'm done whining now!

Thanks KO. I've thought all weekend about how I want to do my food the rest of my life and I've had an epiphany!!! Everytime I have an epiphany my DH gets scared!! I can cook, I can read, and I'm not stupid. (Last one is debatable!) I can't eat the same thing over and over because it gets so stagnant for me. But, I can eat the things that I can cook with protein in mind. So this weekend I decided that I wanted Chinese food. With the exception of the soy sauce, I don't think there was any sugar in anything that I cooked. Beef strips cut so thin you could see through them, lite tofu, all the veggies were blanched before hand and a cornstarch-chicken broth gravy. All were fresh ingredients except the water chestnuts. I had about 2/3 c. and was really satisfied and felt I was actually in control of what I was eating, not something forced on me to meet the protein standards. I couldn't eat the green onions, will have to chop them really, really, small next time. And with all of that my fiber need was really, really met. I did start the day with a Mattrix Hot Choc. Today I'm fixing Pumpkin Ricotta Spaghetti Squash. A thin layer of spaghetti squash; layer of pumpkin, ricotta, parm cheese salt and pepper; thin layer of squash and a white sauce with parm cheese and mozzarella cheese. I've cut the butter is this one from 1/4 c. to two TBSP and using skim milk. I've got to set down here pretty soon and try and figure how much protein in the whole dish and then proportion it out. This will be my supper with DH and I will have cottage cheese for lunch and maybe a Mattrix choc. Wendy's frosty later on. I've been freezing ice cube trays with skim milk; I seem to be tolerating milk better than after surgery. I also made a Lite Vanilla Soy Milk Eggnog yesterday with SF pudding, splenda and vanilla extract and will be putting a scoop of unflavored protein in that to increase my protein intake. First time that I have used a soy product. It was different and tolerable. One cup has 6 gm. prot and 88 calories without added prot. I've decided not to eat anything white except milk. I've only had one slice of bread since I've started this whole process and it was Ezekial bread and I'm not so sure about it yet. I had my first wedding reception Saturday and they had lasagna! I ate the guts of the lasagna, 1/2 cup of steamed beans and my first two bites of salad. I have really missed salad, it was field greens, but two bites took tons of chewing and I don't know if it was actually worth all the chewing! LOL! I've just got to keep my head out of my_____ and start using it and stop making everything so darn hard and being such a whiner about everything. So what if I do have to use prot. supps the rest of my life, at least I'm having a life and I couldn't say that before the WLS.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

nancy!!! congratulations! you've got it!!!!! you're doing what it takes - adding protein, reducing fat, and figuring out how to limit carbs to the ones that we REALLY want.

and don't worry about the salad thing. it'll come. darlin, you're not even two months post-surgery - veggies will get easier. promise!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #10  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Nancy,
Good Job on the menu choices. You definitely have more ambition than I have to figure out substitutions for all that you cook. I guess I'm just lazy!
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:19 AM   #11  
carvinmom

S/C/G: 359/254/150

Height: 5'5''

im two months out now and working with my new lifestyle. have had some problems with a staff infection i got from hospital and that set me back... i still have not been able to exercise. i have lots of pain in back and hips and trouble walking yet. everyday is different but i do get my protein in and have gone with the veggies and still enjoy my soups,applesauce,gabanzo chili,wafer meat, and low carb , low fat everything. still struggling with the water but getting better... im actually reading a good book on how food effects the body... and want to strive on healthy choices from now on. Right now im keeping myself focused on keep trying and one day at a time..
Reading the posts u all are doing so well, great going!!!
carvinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #12  

Default Hi Ko and everyone

Ko that is awesome,keep up the great possitive attitude.I think that is one of the keys to making it with surgery.

It's great to see everyone edoing so great.

My surgery is getting closer now.Jan 14th 2008 wow amazing,it's finally going to happen.

take care everyone
Happy Holidays
Kim e
seabreez2000 is offline   Reply With Quote