Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #1  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Question Ischemic Colitis

Hi all.

I don't know if anyone has this disease but I was in the hospital for the past 5 days and was diagnosed with it. I now have to follow a diet for the next few days at the least that goes against EVERYTHING I've ever learned: WHITE BREAD, PROCESSED FOODS...it's making my head spin (and not tha tI am all that hungry anyway).

It was a scary experience and one that I prefer not to go through again. Anyone have any experience with the disease?

Thanks for sharing!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

JENN ~ my aunt has/had Colitis; she also had to watch what she ate for a long time. She mentioned 'SPICY' and 'ACIDIC' foods a lot to me; that they caused a big problem for her. I think your special diet is to help your insides heal (less irritation); and it may only be for a while. I know that my aunt is much better now and she eats things like bran muffins and whole wheat breads again (although not exclusively; but a mixture). Her favorite breakfast is oatmeal.

She suffered with cramps (pain) and diarrhea a lot as well from her condition. We have a similar intestinal disorder that runs in our family; almost every single member of our family has had it. My problem is that even though the horriblY painful diarrhea left (YEAH), with bulking up with whole foods, I sometimes have the opposite problem (bloating and slower BM's). I am working on remedying that new issue now ~ LOL!

So, as I stated earlier, this may just be a temporary measure until your body (intestines/colons) has time to heal. I hope you are feeling better soon. ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-22-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:34 AM   #3  

Jenn, there is some info on the net about low carb diets being better for colitis.

I don't know if it would help in your case but you might want to google colitis and low carb diets and see what you can find.

I can't put up any links, I think it is because I am new or perhaps that is the rule here.

Last edited by tapper47; 11-23-2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: left out word and misspelling
tapper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #4  

OK, THANKS to you both.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #5  

hi jenn i was missing your posts on alli thread..sorry to hear you have been sick and in the hospital . i hope you get better soon...are you still on alli or did you have to stop because of the illness....sue
got2gethealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #6  

got2get: I stopped alli when I had the flu 4 weeks ago now. I started South Beach a week before I got sick. When I hit Phase 2, I was going to continue with Alli. The doctor told me not to do ANYTHING until he sees me again.

Then I have to meet with a dietitian and see what I can work out. Thanks for the support!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #7  

Smile

I also have colitis and diverticulosis. After having diahrrea for 4 months and countless testing they determined that there was nothing they could do except for me to watch my diet. I have been having bad spells on and off since fall. I have an appointment with a dietician finally. I have been logging everything I eat and writing the carbs, cals and fat for each one to take with me. I am realizing by doing this what triggers the relapses. Whole wheat bread kills me. I can tolerate white bread, potato, but can't tolerate spaghetti sauce. Veggies I can eat, but the run through me quickly. I was on weight watchers for 2 weeks and gained 7 pounds and was in pain the whole time. The best diet I tolerated was the Atkins, but it got so boring. I may have to resort to it again after I see the dietician. Hope you find relief soon. I know how painful it is.
tobeslim4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:03 AM   #8  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm in the process of being diagnosed with some sort of chronic bowel or intestinal disorder (doctor's not sure what yet, exactly), and I feel your pain -- both literally and, um, dietarily! It's horrible. Can't exercise, either. Ughhhhh, so frustrating. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice, but I can offer sympathy!! Hope everyone in this thread has a happy tummy weekend!

Last edited by maalisse; 02-16-2008 at 01:03 AM.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #9  
Fighting PCOS

S/C/G: 185/179/145

Height: 5'7"

I spent some time in the hospital in October of 2005 and was diagnosed with Ischemic Colitis, as well. I had been taking Naproxen for around 8 years at the time and was told to stop taking that as a result. Other than that I didn't have any diet changes. They DID withhold food from me for 4 days while I was hospitalized, though.

I'm sorry you all are going through this, too. It sure isn't fun.
Art_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/227.4/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Ibs

So sorry to hear of all your tummy troubles! I had IBS for years before I diagnosed myself! Docs know so little about it! They have meetings at local hospital once a month and I will go this month. I found out from reading what I can and can't eat. Many good books in library. No coffee, fats (that leaves out peanut butter, caffeine, roughage, (only cooked veggies or fruit) although I can eat a small salad at end of meal without much trouble. Acids (spaghetti sauce!!!) I wonder if I will ever get to feel better. I am seeing a new doctor this Wednesday. If she can't help I will ask her to refer me. Also, get colonoscopy done. They found pre cancerous polyps. I am doing Weight Watchers (and losing! Hurray) but need to get off the fiber breads. With this plan we can eat what we like.(flex plan) Good luck to all. Avoid all stress!

Lizabeth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 245/229/140

Height: 5'2"

With Colitis and IBS one of the biggest triggers has nothing to do with diet but more to do with Stress and hormones. They can both aggrivate your system and cause a flare up. I know I have been hospitalized twice for it and both times were also very, very stressfull times in my life.

So find a way to relax and watch what you eat. Drink lots and lots of water.

The best medication I have found for it is Bentyl. It works quickly, stops the cramping and lets your system calm back down.

Hope that helps.

HW: 250
CW: 235
GW: 145
Sorcha is offline   Reply With Quote