Old 11-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default getting in the recommended fruit/veggies/protien/whole grain servings per day?

USDA's Food Guide Pyramid recommends 2-4 servings of fruit and 3-5 servings of vegetables daily. 2-3 servings of dairy. 2-3 of protien. 2-4 servings of bread and grains.

How do you get this all in and still maintain your calories?

I tracked for today and I'm at about 2 servings of fruit, 2 servings of veggies, 4 servings of carbs and 3 of protien. I guess thats not that bad... just two more servings of veggies and i could probably stay under 1300 with that but still today was an awfully GOOD day for me and i totally missed all dairy servings! if i included those i dont see how i could stay under 1900? Anyways just curious if you all chucked out these guidlines while on an eating plan or incorporated them and if os how. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by readyfreddy; 11-15-2007 at 06:00 PM.
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

Hi I really don't know about me. I think I eat too many carbs and fruits and not enough veggies and proteins. It seems like a lot of food when you look at the guidelines doesn't it?
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #3  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Guidelines are just that... guidelines Sometimes I don't get all my protein or all my carbs. Sometimes I don't get all my veggies or dairy. But I think that every day I come pretty close to that balance, so that is good enough for me!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #4  

Check serving sizes. What they think a serving is most likely is not what you think a serving is.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #5  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

a great "dairy" product with low calories are the no sugar added yogurts, i think you can get them for 40 calories each
also cheese strings they are 60 calories each and really yummy!!!
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

yeah i love string cheese! i get the part skim that are 80 cals but i always have them in the fridge!

im pretty good about serving sizes... i've worked with a dietician before so i feel confident that I am estimating pretty darn close. Also when I look at the websides their servings are in line with what i'm counting.

i also agree its abotu overall balance. ... not just day to day... but I think i'm not doing a great job of that overall balance. i know on average i eat way too many carbs and prots and not enough fruits and veggies.

thanks for the suggestions ladies! i think im going to track it for a while with my calories and just see what my spread is like.
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote