Old 11-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #1  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

Default I could use some suggestion here, ladies

So this Saturday night I am having my second date with this nifty boy, and he's coming over to my house and I'm supposed to be cooking dinner. I know, it sounds strange for a second date, but I love cooking, and he asked if it would be OK, and I didn't have any real reason to object.

But I'm sort of at a loss for what to make. I want it to be healthy, but I don't want it to look (or taste) like health food. I want to make an impression, and I just figured that some of you lovely ladies might have some suggestions.

Neither of us are allergic to any foods, and the only thing he doesn't like is pork. I'd very much appreciate any ideas you guys could give.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #2  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

How about some chicken shiskabobs, just marinade some chicken breast with teriyaki sauce, add then cut chicken into big chunks, then chop some green and or red peppers into big pieces, some onions, some mushrooms, maybe some pineapple and skewer these on a stick. You can bake them in the oven for like an hr on 350 and they will be a good healthy option. My hubby requests these often, they are a fave of ours for date nite too! You can always make these with beef too. Maybe have a side dish of brown rice or a salad and he should be impressed. Maybe a glass of wine with dinner and how about some fresh strawberries dipped in a bit of chocolate syrup for dessert. Pretty romantic I think too.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/193/135

Height: 5'4"

How about Chicken Piccata
1.Pound chicken to about 1/8 in. thickness, lightly dredge in flour (I know flour's not a good thing, but you only use a little) Saute in olive oil.
2.Remove chicken from pan when done.
3.Saute Thinly sliced onions (or shallots) & minced garlic (in the same pan that you cooked the chicken in)
4.When onions & garlic are done add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of white wine (don't worry about the alcohol it will cook out, it's just for flavor) & the juice of about 2 lemons (depends on how juicy they are, you'll have to taste test it)
5.Simmer till liquid starts to reduce by about 1/2
6.Add the chicken back to the onion / garlic / wine / lemon and simmer. Sauce will thicken a little.
This receipe is for about 1 1/2 pounds of chicken, you'll have to adjust if you make more or less. Also amounts are approximate as I never measure anything.
This cooks up really quick, the preparation takes longer than the cooking. Make sure when you pound the chicken (it can be thicker that 1/8 if you like) that you place it between some plastic wrap and pound with the flat side of the pounder so you don't tear the meat. If you don't have a pounder use a heavy frying pan to pound it. Also pound from the inside out to the edges.
Serve with rice and maybe asparagus or whatever vegetable you like.
Time for a change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I was going to break out my showstopper pork recipe...ah well.

Stuffed chicken breasts -

Take two large chicken breasts, and pound to about 1/3 inch thickness. Combine 2 oz of light goat cheese with a pinch each of salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Spread half the goat cheese on each of the chicken pieces. Top with a layer of towel-dried roasted red bell pepper slices (from a jar, packed in water), leaving a small amount of goat cheese slathered chicken without the bell pepper at the edge. If you like, lay basil or spinach on top (makes for great visual appeal). Roll the chicken, "sealing" with the edge with no bell pepper. If they don't seem secure, slide in a toothpick.

In a large saute pan with cooking spray over medium high heat, sear off all sides of the rolled chicken breast. You want a nice golden brown. Finish in the oven (in the saute pan if it is ovenproof) on 375 degrees until the chicken is cooked through, 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven, let rest for 5 minutes, and slice each chicken breast into medallions, revealing the rolled contents.

I'd serve this with some couscous and a bright green roasted veggie. In lieu of the couscous, you could roast cubed butternut squash, mash it, and mix in a tbsp of Trader Joe's pumpkin butter along with some salt and pepper. It is delicious!

Last edited by mandalinn82; 11-07-2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: left out a key ingredient!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I'm getting hungry.! All these recipes sound delicious and pretty easy, too.I was going to suggest roast chicken.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #6  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

Amanda--I could always pretend it's not pork "That's just beef, your taste buds must be off, here, have more wine!"

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys. I may have to mull it over in my tiny little brain for a while and decide.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I love Rachael Ray and she always tries to do healthy meals so I'm gonna post some recipes that I saw on her talk show that I thought looked yummy

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php...55,256,310,311

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php...55,256,310,311

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php...40,45,46,47,48

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php...40,45,46,47,48

Then I typed healthy recipes in google and found others that my boyfriend thought looked good too

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Raspber...en/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quick-L...en/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fabulou...as/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/World-...s/ViewAll.aspx

Hope this helps!
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Wow, we all posted at nearly the same time! When I started no one had said anything
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

A classic roast chicken is always good. I have a trick for getting gorgeous crispy skin, and it is a little unconventional...I can't believe its not butter spray! 4 sprays per part (ie, on each drumstick, breast, thigh, etc) is AMAZING.

I posted the whole recipe in the 101 things to do with chicken thread.

And my showstopper pork recipe is basically the chicken recipe, with a pork tenderloin. Works just as well with chicken breasts, you'll just have two rolls instead of one big one.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #10  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

I made an apple cider chicken that was awesome. I posted the recipe on the thread 101 ways to make chicken..... if you cant find it and you want the recipe just send me a Private Message... ( :
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

They say the way to a mans heart is through his stomach, this just may do the trick

I make a yummy Chicken Marsala or an equally delicious lemon chicken If you'd like the recipes let me know. That served with brown rice and a red leaf/mango/strawberry salad. Maybe a first course of some butternut squash soup. Warm homemade applesauce for dessert - heavenly.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek6 View Post
I made an apple cider chicken that was awesome. I posted the recipe on the thread 101 ways to make chicken..... if you cant find it and you want the recipe just send me a Private Message... ( :

Mmm...apple cider is so gooooood.....

To drink afterwards, I suggest warmed apple cider with some white zifandel wine added in....cheap stuff is fine, you don't need an expensive wine. You put it in a pot on the stove, it's about 2 1/2 parts cider to wine, throw in a couple of orange slices, and a couple sticks of cinnamon. Set on low heat, stir occasionally, enjoy!

OMG, so tasty!!!
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 AM   #13  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Hehe Sara, the wine is good but if I'm not mistaken you're only 19, right? Maybe hold off on the wine for a couple of years...
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Let us know what you decide and how it went.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #15  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Let us know what you decide and how it went.
Yes, please!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote