Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #1  
Learning to Live

S/C/G: 235/235/160

Height: 5'5

Unhappy I flubbed up already :O(

Every Wednesday I take my daughter to Wendys for breakfast. It is just a special treat for her each week. Well I flubbed up already because I ate there also, and ate way more than what I should have. I am feeling very down on myself right now. I did go work out on the treadmill for the 10 minutes that my daughter was playing in her room which burned 30 calories. I am planning on getting on the treadmill every single chance I get today, to get some of those calories that I ate, off of me. Anyone have any suggestions. Thank you.
MrsTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Are you counting your daily calories?

Eating one meal at Wendy's won't necessarily mess things up for you - just be extra careful about the rest of the calories you eat today, and eat clean tomorrow.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #3  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Don't get down. Look at what happened and learn from it. That is what all of us do. Maybe this is a treat that needs to be changed. Find something else that would be fun for you and your daughter to do. While you are changing your eating habits, you could be changing your daughters too.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I see you're fairly new to 3FC. Welcome aboard. So glad to have you here.

What's done is done. I would just move on and forget about it. Stay on plan the rest of the day and everything will be just fine.

You mentioned that you take your daughter to Wendys as a treat. Perhaps you can come up with a different treat for you and her to do. Some healthy cooking together every Wednesday morning. Egg white omlettes, fresh orange juice, oatmeal.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there!

I agree--one mess up does not ruin a weight loss plan.

That said, you can't be going to MacD's all the time because your daughter likes a treat. That's sort of setting yourself up for bad eating. If you do take her, don't eat there yourself. Sorry, that's the only way I see it, because if you add up the calories in what you ate there, I think you'd see their food is way over the top...

Find better treats! I don't go with egg white omelets as a "treat" myself... but there are many better choices for both you and your daughter.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy Moment View Post
Don't get down. Look at what happened and learn from it. That is what all of us do. Maybe this is a treat that needs to be changed. Find something else that would be fun for you and your daughter to do. While you are changing your eating habits, you could be changing your daughters too.

I totally agree! This is not just a good time for you to do something that is GOOD for YOU, but also a time to help teach your daughter good eating habits as well! A yummy oatmeal breakfast with some skim milk & a banana..... and then treat time! A better "treat" might be some fun activity on the playground! A good time for her, and a little exercise for you... certainly couldn't hurt!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If there is one thing I could teach people, not just in weight loss but in the world at large, it would be the ability to take what has been done and cannot be changed, say "that wasn't ideal", and put plans in place to prevent it in the future. The most important part of this is, after planning to prevent it, there is no more guilt. It is done...finished. All you can do now is prevent it from happening in the future.

This wasn't flubbing up. This was a learning experience. Wednesday mornings at Wendys just might not work for you for a while. Now you've learned that, and you can put a plan into place to change your Wednesday routine. What about making french toast sticks with egg beaters and light wheat bread and dipping them into apple butter? Yummy french toast sticks would be a healthier way to start the morning, and you could enjoy them WITH your daughter. It may be time for some new traditions.

But please, don't consider this "flubbing up" - you ate something, and maybe you'd rather you didn't in the future. You learn from it, you plan around it, and you move on, smarter for having had the experience in the first place and ready to apply your new knowledge to other situations.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #8  
No description available.

Just a sec.

I need to find the link.

The link to the post that makes it clear that only perfect people may post at 3FC.....where is it??

This would be a very empty place if it was full of people who had perfect plans, perfect lives, and no missteps.

Forgive yourself. Move on. One meal in the grand scheme of things is not going to make or break your efforts.

Choose a healthier lunch. Be well.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #9  
Learning to Live

Thanks everyone. I think I found a new "Wednesday Tradition" they have a place here in our town, that has an indoor gigantic play yard. I think I am going to start taking her there on Wednesday's and making her breakfast at home (something healthy of course). She loves biscuits and gravy which is why I take her to Wendy's, does anyone know a healthy recipe for biscuits and gravy or is that impossible to be healthy?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For some reason, we tend to underestimate the difficulty of weight loss. It involves a lot of hard work as we learn to make many many new choises and learn new, sometimes unfamiliar behaviors and habits. It's like starting a new job, a job that requires much skill and training, usually "on the job" training. Perfection overnight is unrealistic, even if we think we understand or "know" what we have to do.

You wouldn't be able to go into a factory and start working perfectly on some machine you'd never seen before. Even if the job was just answering telephones, you'd expect to make a few mistakes in the beginning. You didn't learn to tie your shoes in one lesson.

Change is extremely difficult, and making tons of changes at once, while expecting perfection from yourself from the start, is pretty much doomed to failure. Every habit is a hard habit to break.

We're accustomed to a diet culture that tells us to count every failure, we expect to be perfect from day one. That isn't realistic. It isn't how the human brain or body works. You have to reverse that and count your successes. Progress, not perfection gets you to goal. Expecting to be perfect, means that each inevitable imperfection is seen as a failure and just one more reason to quit, proof that you "can't do it." All of which couldn't be further from the truth.

You almost have to look at yourself as both scientist and lab rat. When you see your lab rat self make choices that are not productive, your scientist has to (rationally and without beating up your lab rat or calling it names) change the experiment to help that little rat succeed. You both can do it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I make a "diet" biscuit gravy that my husband loves. I use light cream of mushroom soup (if your daughter doesn't like mushrooms you could use cream of celery or another light cream soup). Even regular cream soup isn't too bad calorie wise. I brown about 1/2 lb of lean ground beef with onion and celery and add about a cup crumbled soy breakfast sausage into it (Morningstar Farms, Boca.... any meat substitute sausage). I like it just as well made with only soy sausage, but hubby likes it best with a little "real" meat. When the meat is browned, I add the can of soup (it has to be condensed, not ready to eat soup), and then thin with skim milk until it's the right consistency.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/250/150

Height: 5"2"

cream of chicken soup makes an awesome breakfast gravy too....

but what i wanted to say is wednesday is just one day in your life... tomorrow is a new day, start over and try again... like they said, it's just like life in general, if you want something enough you will keep trying to work toward it, even when you slip up sometimes..... nothing worth having comes easily........... if you get on the horse enough times, sooner or later you will learn to ride
smills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Cambells (i think that's how it's spelled) makes an amazing sausage gravy (im a lover of my biscuits and gravy too) and for 1/2 a cup it's 70 calories if I remember correctly, and it's really good. Then I just get one of the pillsbury biscuits that you can choose how many you want to bake and I believe they are 130 calories. One biscuit with the serving of gravy fills me up! Everyone has their little slip ups, what matters is what you do after that. Are you going to let it ruin your day and eat everything in sight just because you had a little more than you would've preferred? Or are you going to keep your chin up and keep pluggin alone?
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #14  
Learning to Live

I hope someone reads this, but I have kind of what I think is a stupid question. Okay, so lets say for instance today, I did eat what I ate this morning. Now lets say my daily intake of calories I am supposed to have is 1600 and I go over that 1600. I know walking/running only burns so many calories, will that exercise still help me lose weight if I Happen to go over.. I know this is confusing how I am saying it but it's hard to get it out the way I mean to say it.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Are you asking if you can burn off extra calories via exercise? Yes.

Look at it like this - you have to have a calorie deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1 lb. You can accomplish this deficit by either eating less, exercising more or a combination of both.

3500 calories/7 days in a week = 500 calories per day.

Using me as an example - for my height, weight, age, gender, I need about 1800 calories to maintain my weight (I have found this to be true for me). When I was losing weight, I ate between 1400-1600 calories a day and did 45 minutes of cardio a day. That gave me about 500 calories a day deficit and I lost 1-2 lbs per week. This was a nice, safe, reasonable, not hungry, making sure I got all my necessary nutrition to lose weight.

When I was a lot younger, I thought that if I could lose some weight by cutting some calories, I could lose more weight faster by cutting MORE calories (basically, starving myself). This didn't go very well at all, I always ended up binging and feeling like an out of control loser.

Good luck with your weight loss journey - I second some of the other posters, with fast food so bad for us and so prevalent in our society, you would do your daughter a lifetime favor by not linking it to treats and not encouraging it even on a weekly basis (but take that with a grain of salt, I'm not a parent!).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote