Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs down I'm stuck...

So, where do I begin? Hmm, I've been here for a couple years on and off. I've never really been able to stick to any plan (even if that plan is to just work out 3 days a week and watch my portions). It doesn't matter how easy it is. Even if it doesn't pertain to weight loss, I still have a problem finishing things. I always have these great ideas/plans, I start out with a bang, and then I fall.

I don't know what to do anymore. I did SO great over the summer. I was so happy with myself...I lost 11 pounds, getting me down to 138...only 1 pound away from a "normal" weight. If I had kept at it, I could have been down to my high school weight by now. I know it does no good to go over the "what if's", but it's hard not to. And this SUCKS. I'm now back to almost where I started. I've gone back up to 145 pounds (I know some of this may be water weight...at least I hope). This may not seem like a lot to some, but I feel so frumpy and I'm wearing the same 5 outfits over and over again cuz all my other outfits don't fit well anymore, or they make me look even fatter. And I REFUSE to buy bigger clothes again.

I feel like such a failure. I can NEVER follow through with my plans. I have a plan in place, but that's the thing...it's still only a plan. I've had this plan now for about 2 weeks and I still haven't gotten off my butt to do anything. I keep meaning to go to the YMCA to renew my membership with my boyfriend, but we either never have time or at that moment we don't feel like going.

My eating is the worst. I don't pig out because I'm hungry...so "not eating enough" isn't the issue. I'm just bored or I feel like it's time to eat so I eat even if I'm not even hungry. It's like a mindless thing. And a lot of times, even when I know something is unhealthy or I shouldn't eat it, I ALWAYS talk myself into eating it anyway. "I'll start tomorrow" is my excuse. Only tomorrow never comes..

I'm at a loss here. I guess this post was mainly a rant. But if anyone has any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated...thanks for listening.

Last edited by LaBonita; 11-06-2007 at 02:13 PM.
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

First, take a deep breath. So you've teetered on the edge, you've looked over, and you've decided you ARE NOT going to go off of it. Great first steps! Now let's talk about the plan.

Ultimately, you need to make some DECISIONS, hopefully based on a solid COMMITMENT. Each time you go or don't go to the gym, it is your decision. Each time you eat anything, you decide what it will be and in what quantity. Those things are all in your hands. Having a plan is all well and good, but it doesn't DO anything on its own...you have to COMMIT to following it, and support that commitment with your decisions.

The good thing is, ultimately, both of things are in your control. The bad thing is that, a lot of the time, the decisions are awfully hard to make. Deciding not to pull out an extra snack when you're not hungry, or not to eat out for dinner that night - those are hard decisions to make. But only you can make them, and having an iron-strong COMMITMENT to following your plan will make them easier to make at first, and even EASIER over time.

So you've already decided you're not buying new clothes...so the question is, what can you commit to? Can you commit to going within the next 48 hours to sign up at the Y? Can you commit to going to the gym 4 times in the next week?

Post your commitments here, and then decide to follow through. You'll be on your way to your goal in no time.

Amanda
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

You're not a failure! You're here, looking for advice. You have accepted that you need some help--that's the first step.

Why don't you try writing down some specific daily or weekly goals. Then check them off as you achieve them. After a couple of weeks, add in some more. In no time you'll see results.

Read the quote in my sig. You are not a failure!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! I remember you! I'm glad to see you back!

Now, don't you use those words like "never." Maybe in the past you didn't stay with something, but you can change at any time. Yes, you can.

Think of all the things you do every day that are automatic. Probably you brush your teeth. Probably you comb your hair. It's likely that you find time for a shower every once in a while. Right? So that just shows that things can become like habits. What you want to do is form some new ones.

Since you tend to "forget" what your goals are, here's some ideas to change that:

1. Make a loose plan of what you can eat for different meals. That is, for breakfast you might have a choice of three different menus. For snacks, a choice of several combinations. And so on. Like this:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup cereal and 1/2 cup 1% milk with banana,
OR 1 soft boiled egg with 1 piece of whole grain toast and 1/2 apple,
OR a smoothie made with protein powder, 1% milk, and 1 serving of frozen berries.
Snack: 1 piece string cheese with 1/2 apple,
OR lowfat yogurt with 6 baby carrots,
OR 2 oz. water packed tuna with 6 crackers.

See how that goes? These are just ideas--you can figure out the foods you like and can eat, and those you can pack to take with you, etc.

2. Then make a shopping trip to make sure you have those things in the house.

(Now, maybe you have done this in the past, but that doesn't matter. The past is gone. Doesn't exist.)

3. Every day, try to pin down what you're going to eat at each meal and snack time. Concentrate on just getting through that ONE day by eating what you have. If you can't plan every meal, don't worry--you can figure it out later because you already bought your foods!

4. Make each individual day your goal. Don't think about a week, a month, or anything longer than that. Just get through the day. Or if needed, just get through the next meal! One step at a time!

5. Log on here and let us know how it's going!

Good luck! You can succeed!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Great advice! I agree with the idea of The Plan, The Shopping Trip, and One Day At A Time. I might add The Purging (of the junk food). See how simple? And see what a good game I talk? Too bad I am not perfect

Last edited by gailr42; 11-06-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Wow, thanks so much everyone for the advice! I'm definitely going to be thinking up some goals, and then making a COMMITMENT to follow through with them one day at a time. I know it's easier said than done, but this is a start. I'm starting to see a little ray of hope. Thanks again! I'll definitely be trying to post more often as well!
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote