Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #1  

Default Stranger to your board in need of advice

Hi everyone! I need advice about whether WW is for me, so I came to the experts!

I have been on LAWL/Pure Weight Loss for 2 1/2 years. I've been maintaining for the past 8 months after losing 97 lbs. (I'm now 5 lbs above my goal -- the max allowed in Maintenance.) I had done WW briefly a few years ago and it worked, but I just didn't stick with it.

My question:
I'm VERY nervous about gaining this back. I think LAWL worked for me because I'm the type of person who NEEDS restrictions to lose weight. Maintenance on LAWL is less restrictive than the weight loss phase, but I still LOVE carbs. I was somehow able to cut back on them enough to lose and maintain this long, but sometimes I just need (?want) more than is allowed. I'm wondering if doing WW at this point would help me to lose 7-10 lbs AND keep it off a little more easily.

I DO NOT want to (or plan to) abuse/take advantage of the way WW should work. In other words, I don't plan to use all my points for carbs; I know that doesn't work (unfortunately). I think I can incorporate what I've learned at LAWL (eating from ALL food groups EVERYDAY, especially fruits, veggies and proteins). I THINK I'm strong enough to make smarter food choices when given more freedom.

I know it's probably better to stick with one program, but I'm very nervous about gaining weight when I go over my allotted carbs for the day.

Has anyone had experience with this or does anyone have any suggestions? TIA (Sorry it's a little long.)
Old 11-05-2007, 08:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/191/155

Height: 5 FT- 5 INCHES

G,day and and first of all let me say on your amazing and inspirational weight loss 97lbs definately not anything to scoff at. OK I,m doing weight watchers and it is working for me the point system is easy to stick to, I hear you I love carbs to I,m a big potato chip nut I couldn,t stuff them in fast enough, but now I look at them as a treat something I have on Saturday night in front of the T.V. with DH but instead of bought chips I make my own with sweet potatoes, I still get my crunch and carb fix but in a healthy snack instead of empty carbs that I just don,t need. Sometimes a change in plan can help if your body has become used to a certain way of eating it is hard to keep up with the maintenance side of things I,ve been told by so many people that the effort involved in keeping the weight off can be harder than losing it. WW will help you get rid of 7-10lbs and keep it off by showing you how to replace bad carbs for good ones, there is plenty off help here and support and the WW forums are great for plenty of advice and tips WW for me is great because it isn,t a diet it is a way of life a change for the better learning that you can eat whatever you like but in moderation and learning how to turn your unhealthy cravings into healthy ones its true you can have your cake and eat it to you just have to know how to make it healthy. Don,t worry about your posts if they are long so what the people around here are so nice and always ready to give help and advice so just jump in. Take care and on you journey

JULS
Old 11-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hourglass View Post
I'm VERY nervous about gaining this back. I think LAWL worked for me because I'm the type of person who NEEDS restrictions to lose weight. Maintenance on LAWL is less restrictive than the weight loss phase, but I still LOVE carbs.
Carbs are not bad for you. Actually carbs are the brains most favorite source of energy. The key is getting them from whole grains, veggies and fruit more than simple sugars.

Quote:
I was somehow able to cut back on them enough to lose and maintain this long, but sometimes I just need (?want) more than is allowed. I'm wondering if doing WW at this point would help me to lose 7-10 lbs AND keep it off a little more easily.
W/W has what we call the 8 Healthy Guidelines to follow and they kinda give you some ideas on how to break down points with the Points Pies:

Points Pies

Balanced (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8-9 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 6-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day
Milk and Milk Products – 4-6 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Protein (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 5-6 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 9-11 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-1 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-4 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Carb (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 9-10 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 5-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 1-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 1-2 points a day

20-28 points a day

Quote:
I DO NOT want to (or plan to) abuse/take advantage of the way WW should work. In other words, I don't plan to use all my points for carbs; I know that doesn't work (unfortunately). I think I can incorporate what I've learned at LAWL (eating from ALL food groups EVERYDAY, especially fruits, veggies and proteins). I THINK I'm strong enough to make smarter food choices when given more freedom.
If you follow the 8HG it is hard to really over do it...for the most part your minimum daily points are taken up with them. However W/W does have another arm called Core. It is basically eating healthy and listening to your body for your satisifaction level.

Quote:
I know it's probably better to stick with one program, but I'm very nervous about gaining weight when I go over my allotted carbs for the day.
Weight loss is calories in vs calories out and maintenance is calories in = calories out (basically). If those calories come from carbs, or protein, or fats it really doesn't matter because a calorie is a calorie. However if you dno't have balance you can feel poorly even staying within a restricted caloric intake.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #4  
chocaholic....

S/C/G: 245/216/130

Height: 5'4"

great job on the weight loss. i hope i can maintain my diet and lose as much as you!
Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #5  

Thank you all for your responses!

Kelly, the 8 Healthy Guidelines seem to be really good reminders about how much to eat of each food group. From what I remember about points for ceratain foods, LAWL seems to be in the Higher Protein category. But there are on-plan ways to move into the Higher Carb category. So, the programs (depending on how you work them) may not be all that different. And as we all know, any plan will work, as long as you follow through with it.

Again, thanks for your help, and good luck to everyone on their weightloss journey!
Closed Thread