Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/168/150

Height: 5'2

Default Menstrual cycle and weight loss question

This may be a dumb question but how exactally does your period effect weight loss? A little personal but to get the facts, I need to be truthful I weigh myself everyone Monday and today I started my period. Will this effect my weight even if today is my first day of my period? If so how much will it effect it? I'm curious if I should skip a weigh in when I have my period? I don't know!
MaryO25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

It depends on the people. Some can gain up to 5 lbs of water weight in the first day of their period. others like me will barely gain 1 or nothing and not even bloat. I'm not sure if this should warrant totally skipping a weigh-in, but what you could do, maybe, would be to weigh right before, then on the first-second day, see if there's really a noticeable difference, and then keep that in mind (so that you don't fret out about having gained fat when in fact it's just water). Although this works better if your periods are very regular, else it's way trickier, I think.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

For me, it definitely seems related to water retention. I consisently gain about 3-4 lbs the week before my period. The extra water weight is gone by the time my period ends.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #4  
Proud Mom of 6

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'2"

Like Kery said everyone is different. I don't usually see much of a gain aroud my period. My "bloat" time is about 10 to 12 days before my actual cycle. I wouldn't skip a weigh in - just start tracking and be aware of when your body may have a little up number and don't get discouraged during that time.
lovinlifex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #5  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I don't gain, but I do stall at the same weight every month for about three days leading up to my period, and at least a couple of days in... but I always have a 2-3 pound drop as my cycle ends, so I can live with it, and now expect it.

Best thing to do is just chart and see what happens to you over three or four months. Good luck!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #6  
v

S/C/G: 94/87/55

Height: 5"1

hi mary
i normally gain about 3-5 lbs before and during my period! it goes off after my period is finished! i dont get weighed every week but every month at my nurse! but i can tell coz i feel bloated and after my period all my clothes r a lot looser! but its also differs for different people!
keep it up and we'll get there one day!
butterflykim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #7  

Smile Water retention

I can't speak for everyone but for me I always see a couple of pounds of weight gain during my cycle. I figure this is water retention. I always feel bloated and this feeling is reflected on the scale. It's not usually much maybe a pound sometimes two and that's it. Hope that helps you.
OneXSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep - everyone is different.

I gain 5 lbs 2 days before. They drop off 2 days after it ends. It doesn't discourage me from weighing - in fact, knowing based on the 2 lb gain when it is going to start is great.

As long as you don't let the normal water weight get you down, there is no reason to skip. I just wouldn't expect much of a loss during (but after you may be surprised!)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/168/150

Height: 5'2

I really appreciate all your responses!!! It's very frustrating when all week you watch what you eat and don't cheat not even once and your all excited and when you get on that scale you see a tiny change. I'm like great my period and a 1.6 lb loss. My 1st week was almost 8 lbs 2nd week no loss but no gain and 3rd week 1.6, guess I can look at it this way...some loss is better than no loss!
MaryO25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #10  

a 1.6 pound loss is great for one week! A healthy weight loss amount is 10% of your overall weight - so you should not lose more than 1-2 pounds per week or you might be losing weight too quickly. And people who lose weight more slowly are more likely to keep it off in the long term.

The 8 pound loss in your first week was probably related to water loss and maybe a bit of body shock. After your body begins to lose weight, it freaks out and tries to keep you from losing any more, thinking that you're starving, which could account for the lack of loss your second week. I always lose a lot the first couple weeks when I go back on plan, and then it evens out.

Anyway, about 1.5 pounds per week sounds like you're doing just perfectly.
luey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:45 AM   #11  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

It's weird for me. I find about a week (or a little more) before my period I eat really well. But a couple days before my period I begin to feel bloated, despite the usually healthy, smaller portions I'd been eating. For the first couple days I feel heavier but my weight/measurements etc are the same. Then I just suddenly feel a lot lighter (mayber third or fourth day) when my period is ending. And I usually have a pretty good loss, not just in my weight, but in inches as well.

'Course I've only had steady periods for about six months here. I had about three years of zero periods/birth control pill so we'll see. BC pill did not work for me at all. I'm pretty sure they led to some feelings of depression in me, and I think my body took a while after ending them to get back into proper cycling.
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #12  

today I am 160 - I am 3 days away from my period.
After my period I weigh around 4-5lbs less than I did before. I also feel like my face is puffy and lethargic, I can barely get myself to do my required work!

You may/may not have a weight spike like me. I am keeping my ticker as is because "this too shall pass!" :P
chickyboo is offline   Reply With Quote