Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default cravings for sinful desserts

Hey guys,

Have a question. I don't know if this is typical of seasons (from summer to winter) ... but I found when I started losing weight seriously for the first time this summer, it was a breeze to inhale veggies and healthy stuff, lol.

I find that even though I'm still exercising, keeping track of my calories, losing weight, etc-- that I'm beginning to crave desserts I've forgone since starting to lose weight...

I still include small portions of chocolate (the Hershey "60 calorie per stick" is a goldmine) or other desserts like caramel rice cakes in my daily food blog and whatnot-- but I'm finding that I'm beginning to crave the really big CALORIE stuff like cheesecake

So far it's manageable, since if I really, really, really want cheesecake, I'd actually have to get off my big 'ole butt, go out to a bakery or grocery store, and go through the motions of buying a cake, etc--

Any tips on how to beat the cravings that you don't act on yet?
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't know. I just live with them. I've been craving cinnamon rolls for about 3 months. One thing I believe firmly is that whatever sinful thing I am craving, looks and smells better than it tastes. I actually know this to be a fact because I love how cinnamon rolls smell but I know that the taste won't live up to the smell.

I also believe that about cheesecake. It looks great, I have great memories of eating cheesecake but it never seems to taste as good as my memory of it.

What you could try to do is make a low calorie substitute for whatever you are craving. Or make something that is similar and may fulfill the craving.

Personally, I just try to live with them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

teawithsunshine - I second nelie's suggestions.

Also, in a controlled environment (with people who understand your healthy lifestyle, for instance), maybe you could have a small piece of whatever you're craving? Savor every single bite, really focus on how it tastes, and drink plenty of water afterwards.

This works for me because the longer I want something without having it, the more tempting it seems. If I actually have a bit of it and then wash away the sugar rush with water, I can calm the beast, so to speak.

Good luck!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #4  

Height: 1.67m

One thing I was thinking when I read your post was that maybe you are eating the wrong things for you at this time? I don't know how your diet looks, but is it possible that you are including too much cereal etc? I know for me some foods can be healthy but still trigger foods. Unless you know for a fact you are really happy with your diet, maybe try including some more healthy fats, and cut down a bit on the fast acting carbs. I think as winter and colder times approach its important to get a little more fat in the diet than during the warmer season.
If this doesnt help, I suggest you plan a day around getting that small bit of cheescake. If you stick to your calories I don't really see that as being a big problem if its a one time off.
Either way, good luck, and well done on sticking to your plan for so long!
timkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

I get cravings really bad sometimes for sweets. Yum! And then it's an endless spiral.

I'm about at the point of not having anything in the house unless I can eat the entire package of it without going too overboard. I am really bad at portion control on sweets, and believe that one package/bag = one serving. This is really bad for Halloween calories! Or packages of cookies!

I like the Smart Ones desserts. Cookie Dough is my favorite! And restaurants are starting to get 'mini desserts', that have like 300-400 calories in them, so a small splurge. I went to a restaurant that's Seasons 51 and had the best chocolate mousse ever for under 400 calories. It was amazingly chocolate.

But I guess I just try to get one serving and eat that and hope I'm too lazy to go out and get more. If I buy a whole thing of ice cream, I could eat it in a night, swear.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #6  

Default Cooler weather does bring out cravings

I think you're right teawithsunshine. I think when the weather gets colder, and the days get shorter, we do crave different foods. I start thinking about comfort foods and feel more like baking. I think it's ok to treat myself every few days with something I really enjoy, like a chocolate chip cookie or some other treat.
cmakela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You can live with them, or find lower calorie substitutes for the cravings.

Here is some advice:

~Try to eat little processed starches early in the day. If you must have bread, rice cakes, etc. try to have them later in the day if possible. Have a higher protein and fruit/veggie breakfast-like eggs and fruit, etc. If you have refined carbs early in the day, when your body processes them, you crave more simple carbs. Having them later in the day makes you less prone to having the cycle throughout the day so many times.

~Think of ways to have a similar taste for less calories. If you crave apple crisp or apple pie, cut up an apple in slices with the skin on. Sprinkle cinnamon and Splenda over the top. Microwave it (covered) until cooked through-checking every 30-45 seconds or so. It will give you an apple pie filling sort of taste/texture for the same calories as a plain apple. It is also a dessert that is much healthier than a 100 calorie pack, etc. with no refined carbs.

I have heard of members here taking a whole grain tortilla, spraying it with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray, and sprinkling it with cinnamon and Splenda-then heating it up. I would imagine it would be a good substitute for a cinnamon roll or an elephant ear at a carnival.

So, I guess my advice is, to eat healthier with less processed food through the day, because it will help combat cravings, and in the evening if possible, find a healthier, lower calorie substitution to what you are craving.

Good luck!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #8  

I think you should have a piece of cheesecake and move on. For me when I don't indulge my cravings they become stronger, and when I want cheesecake and cheesecake nothing but cheesecake will do. Eat clean high protein, high vegetables (count your calories) save some calories, and make space in your menu for your special and keep on rolling.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote