General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Question Question about sleep study?

I am finally going to go in and have it done! I scared my youngest stepson the other day.........I fell asleep waiting in the car for my DD to get done with dance class. I thought that I had been snoring, woke myself up a couple times within 20 minutes. I asked DSS about it cause he was looking at me funny and said "no, but you quit breathing for like 2 minutes!". I said that I didn't think that was possible, and he said "well it was a really long time like 2 minutes and you freaked me out and couldn't finish my story!". (he had been working on a short story)

I woke up not because I was snoring, but because I was gasping for air
Anyway, my question was how much the sleep study itself cost? I have insurance, but I want to make sure that what doesn't get covered will hopefully be covered with what we have left in flex benefits!
Thanks
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This varies tremendously from area to area, so you really have to call the center where you are having it done and ask. In central Wisconsin, my insurance was billed $2000 (in a hospital), but in central Illinois where I had my first one done (in a sleep center), I think it was nearly twice this.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks! I just got done doing a google search, it really does vary quite a bit. Ridiculous! I need to find out how much my insurance will cover I should probably call them first, it looks like I won't be able to get in for the study for awhile anyway.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:17 AM   #4  

Howdy,
I would highly recomend you make that phone call. My husband works for a sleep disorder center. What he does is schedules the appointment and verifys insurance info. Regardless of where you are, I feel confident the organization your doctor directs you to will have the same or similar procedures. Sleep disorders are serious, and there are many negative ramifications for bad sleep. Praying for you. Julie
riknjewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #5  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Yeah, I second & third it depends/varies on your insurance. I am not sure what the cost was for DH to go as we didn't pay a dime for any of it. The insurance paid it all, thank goodness. He also had to have surgery on his nose and that too was covered.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

I'm having a sleep test on the 16th of this month. I stopped breathing while asleep during a colonoscopy. My neck was bruised for a week where they grabbed it and opened the airway - that was enough for me to get my butt in gear and have the test done!
LOri
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #7  
Fun and Fantastic!

S/C/G: 264/256.4/140

Need to get it done. I finally did it. Other than feeling like Darth Vader at night, it is the best thing I have done.

Waiting on my new mask to get in. Make sure you find one that fits you well and doesn't rub your nose if you neep a CPAP.
PsychoMom is offline   Reply With Quote