Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #1  

Default nursing & diet

I am looking for someone who may have had a similar experience of nursing & dieting. My DH and I started the "Fat Smash Diet" today (Celebrity Fit Club Diet) and I feel horrible. My son is 10 mo. old and I'm still nursing. My Gyn. says I can diet if I want to, but now I'm not so sure it's such a good idea since I feel so terrible. Headache, shaky, bloated, dizzy, stomachache. Has anyone ever dealt with something like this? Is this diet bad since I'm still nursing?
amy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:11 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Listen to your body. Go easy. Studies have shown again and again that the benefits of breastfeeding extend well beyond the first year. You could try WW breastfeeding diet which works great for breastfeeding moms.
lettingslenderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You can diet while you are breastfeeding, but you have to be careful about what kind of diet you are doing. Also, your diet will not be as strict as someone who is not nursing, because you are making food for your little one.

On Fat Smash, do you know how many calories you are eating per day? A nursing mother needs 1800 minimum by most doctors, and La Leche League information.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #4  
resident lactivist

Fat Smash is way too low-calorie. I'm not sure about it having enough cals for non-nursing mamas. Chances are the reason you feel horrible is because you are short-changing yourself.
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #5  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I had great success with WW and nursing. I started when DD was 4.5 months old and have lost about 75 pounds. We're still nursing here at almost 15 months old. I'd suggest a WW type diet, they allot an extra 500 calories for nursing moms.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Diet, but not to extremes. It is not necessary to be extreme.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #7  

Hi! I have am in a rut too! I do not know what happened...My daughter will be 9 months tomorrow and I am BIG still! With my other 2 the weight melted off......and I have been nursing her the longest.......What diet????

Also, if you are feeling bad BE CAREFUL.....anything you do affects your milk...So I was told....I was even told that if I get over scared or emotional that can curdle the milk....I do not know how much truth that holds but I do believe that your milk is based on the nutrients you put into your body......

LOL with that being said my daughter is getting whole fat B. milk..
willba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't think that it is possible for your milk to curdle while it is still in the breast. However, the better your diet, the better your milk.

If you do not get enough nutrients, some of the nutrients in your own body will go to the milk, just like during pregnancy. If a mother has a really bad diet with little nutrients, a lot of it will be zapped from HER so the baby will get what it needs. Not good for the mother...

I had my third, too, and Saber is 1 now and I am not yet at goal. I was actually the MOST ACTIVE during my third pregnancy, exercise wise, than I was with the other two even. But, it was my third baby, and I was almost 10 years older than I was with him than with my first. That makes a difference as well.

There isn't anything wrong...it is very common for it to be harder as we get older, and after the third or fourth baby.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote