Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default M&F Hers - December - LOVE the cover!

Actually bought it as a vote of confidence for them to do more like it. I like to see this strong woman getting ready to rack some weights (my interpretation). Not just a tiny dumbbell. Anyway, we used to do these issue discussions, didn't know if anyone was interested. I thought this one was particularly well packed with some WL routines and a big article on protein. BUT on pg 45 and the squat photo - is it just camera angle, or aren't her knees really extending over her toes??? Maybe there's no other way to go that low than to do that, but I thought that was a big no-no. Like I said, it must just be the camera angle, but what do you guys think?
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:47 AM   #2  

HI,

I too like this magazine. I've always heard it's a no-no too. I think it's the camera angle. I have a friend who's a trainer... I'll ask her.
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:42 AM   #3  
Meg

Fran, in a timely answer to your squat question, Alwyn Cosgrove published an article in the 10/19/07 issue of Testosterone mag called Leg Training Myths Exposed. One of the issues he examines is keeping your knees behind your toes during squats and lunges and he concludes:

Quote:
Keeping your knees behind your toes when squatting or lunging is a little better for your knees, but much, much worse for your hips and lower back.
It's worth reading the whole article and checking out the study he cites.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:45 AM   #4  
Meg

Here's the cover photo that Fran is talking about :

Too bad it's not a 45# plate.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #5  

LOL Meg, I always look at the dumbbell weights they use in the photo layouts too! I noticed they were only doing their arms with 10# in this issue. I must be really really strong under all this fat!
Old 10-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #6  
Meg

Fran, I'm sure you're very strong under the fluff!

I have to believe that the fitness models who always get photographed with 8 and 10 pound DBs use a lot more weight than that in reality in order to get those awesome bodies. Maybe magazines think that smaller DBs make a "prettier" picture? Or that heavier DBs would scare off their readers?
Old 10-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #7  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

I love Alwyn Cosgrove I have a couple episodes of The FitCast with Alwyn as a guest that I listen to every once and awhile for inspiration and because his Scottish accent is dreamy He's very no-nonsense about what he believes...and I wish I lived in California so I could work out at his facility!

Last edited by Azure; 10-28-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #8  
Meg

He's my hero too. I was fortunate enough to attend a workshop he gave in NYC and walked away with my head spinning from all I learned. If you don't already read his blog, be sure to check it out: http://www.alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com/
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Maybe they go with the lighter weights because they have to pose for a longer time than we think? but, hmmm, I wouldn't mind having that body.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I think Pat is probably right...I've heard that a 1 page photo shoot can take several hours.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Fran, in a timely answer to your squat question, Alwyn Cosgrove published an article in the 10/19/07 issue of Testosterone mag called Leg Training Myths Exposed. One of the issues he examines is keeping your knees behind your toes during squats and lunges and he concludes:

It's worth reading the whole article and checking out the study he cites.
My guess its like many other things and you have to look at what your own weak spots are. If you have good knees and are prone to back problems, vs if you have a good back and weak knees...
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #12  
Mel

I've heard the explanation for the lighter weights used in the photo shoots is exactly what Pat suggested. It sometimes take an entire day to shoot the 4 photos for and "Exercises You JUST MUST DO!" 2 page spread. Try doing a one arm tricep overhead extension with a 25 pounds db for 4 hours! I'm sure those bodies are built using heavier dumbbells than what's shown in the magazines!

As for the knee issue for squats and lunges, I've read the Cosgrove article and several others. A powerlifting squat generally goes knees slightly over toes to protect the back. I worry a lot less about it unless I have a client with knee problems and then there are so many alternatives to traditional squats that I'm inclined to stay away from them.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:53 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'd better keep an eye on the magazine rack when I go fetch some groceries this week
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #14  

I was thinking about you Susan when I started this thread!!!!

Last edited by sportmom; 10-29-2007 at 06:14 PM.