Old 10-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

Default Please tell me I'm not the only one....

Okay. Hubby and I were talking about this last night. It seems like since the colder weather has come around, all we want to do is EAT! For the past few months, I've had no problems at all sticking to my WW stuff... eating healthy... and when I'd feel a need to snack, pop a piece of gum and be okay...

The weather cooling down a lot lately... and my eating habits have been heating up. Hubby has been the SAME way.

I thought I remembered reading an article a long time ago that it's in our DNA somewhere to "store up" for winter and humans tend to eat more when the cooler weather comes in.

Has anyone else noticed this about themselves? Has anyone heard the same thing about "storing up"?? It's about to drive me nutso!!!!
LondonJulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #2  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I do notice that when the weather gets colder and the leaves start to change colors, I automaticly think chile or soup.......as to sooth us or something. I guess it is a learned thing. I want to make chile!!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Yes to both questions. My thoughts turn more to things like gingerbread and molasses cookies, unfortunately--wish it were soups and chili.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi Julz,
I was back at WW this week and we discussed the samething. After being ask, my leader talked about it being natural instint to "store up" food for cold weather.

It has been part of my problem, I not eating things that are horrible for me just to much of even the good things.

Hopefully this will pass soon. I have done better this week, now if they would just stop bringing Halloween candy at work.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:57 PM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

absolutely! you're "hibernating" that's for sure -- and there aren't as many yummy local fruits and veg overflowing the supermarkets, and meals are getting more "hearty" definitely!!!

I'm trying to picture this winter going differently for me-- yes i'm hibernating along with everyone else, but secretly, inside my little cave I'm going to be working out at home, and eating well -- so in the spring when we all emerge people will turn around and say "what the heck happened to YOU??" hehehehe

that's what I'm visualizing anyway!!!

to keep my hands busy this winter i've learned knitting(!? does this make me an old lady now???) and i have a stack of crossword puzzle books, etc.

I think you'll be ok because you recognise that things are changing and get a handle on it -- it's when you don't even NOTICE what's going on that you wake up at 300 lbs...oh wait that was ME
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #6  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

This has been happening to me too, I feel like snacking more, went off plan because of it. I really can't find something I like that I can snack on more than one of.. In the summer I can snack on a bunch of blackberries, or blueberries, not in winter. My dd birthday is next wednesday and I know I will eat cake, then thanksgiving is coming up , and I so feel like baking. I am trying to do searches for healthy food, today I made a really healthy stew, I just saw a great baked Ratatouille recipe on tv and am thinking of making this soon, also. Winter is going to be a challange, I am just going to have to do it and accept the difficulty.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #7  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Julz - Just move to Florida like you want to and then.... no cold weather.

Actually it's a brisk 55 degrees down here today, and to seriously answer the question, yes, I do want to eat more. To combat this I'm eating a lot of hot soups. I just finished two huge cups of Progresso French Onion Soup (look, I could do a BL commercial with Bob or Jillian) and my stomach doesn't register that the combined total of both cups was only 100 calories. Instead it thinks, "wow, I ate 2 cups of yummy soup, I'm really full". I think it's a trick with volumetrics, but it could be the sodium in the darned soup.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #8  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

seriously hibernation comes to life in my town (and it's how I pushed past the 300 mark ugh!). We have snow cover for 6 months a year with the temp getting below -40 because we have over 240 days below zero. woo sub arctic! I need to stay on top of my daily calories but I'm motivated!
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #9  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Man, for these past few days, I've been wanting to SNACK like crazy! Perhaps it is the weather. Hmm.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

You're not: I noticed too, I started my diet in April 2006, lost 30 # between April and October, then plateau'd, and plateau'd, AND plateau'd, and I didn't have any more progress again until just last month (I've lost about 10 # since July ), and I felt I was a little more inclined to cheat during the winter months
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #11  
hara hachi bu

Trazey!!! You are on such a roll! Great attitude!

Valpal, you've trumped me. I always cop a "poor me" attitude because of my 45-degree latitude, but I'm guessing you're not going to feel sorry for me.

And I've noticed a shift, too. I stopped doing the 5:00am gym. Dark AND cold? No, thanks. I don't notice an increased appetite, but I have been craving the comforts of home ... crockpot meals ready when I come home from work, rearranging furniture so it's away from the windows, and making my house feel "inviting" with puzzles, books, and music. Ready to hibernate!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Oh yes, I definitely start wanting to put on my winter fat around this time of year. Even my skinny SIL says she usually puts on a lb or two in the fall. I also want to eat more the week before TOM. Hot stuff is a huge help for me too - nonfat lattes, sf hot cocoa, lots of different flavors of tea, soup... It doesn't fill you up for too long, but it helps kill the urge for a while.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #13  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

Oh no, you're definitely not alone.

There's no more summer fruits to munch on, it's cold enough to chap a polar bears' backside, it's too dark, and I well all start to drag a little.

When it's cold out, my body just isn't satisfied with a salad or some stir fry veggies. I'm certainly a conundrum.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Oh yeah, Im right there with u. Cold weather makes me want to eat, eat, eat.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #15  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I am NOT going to let myself go off plan because the weather is changing! I know it's something I've done for many years and this year is going to be different. There are very low calorie and delicious meals to be had, including soup and chili. I am also going to concentrate very hard this winter on my exercising. I just might start spending two hours in the gym.

I sure hope all that big talk I just did sticks.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote