Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #1  

Default Where to go from here :?:

Well I've just gone of yet another diet/eating plan/way of life and have been doing my usual "eat everything I want/enjoy since I haven't had it" thing. It's only been 2-3 days and already I feel miserable and hopeless. I'm so tired of this yo-yo'ing that I do but can't seem to stick to anything and make it a part of my life.

I have been on WW the longest, rejoining MANY times...too many to count. Back in 2004 I got down to my all time lowest at 161 and felt fabulous. Then came marriage and a slow weight gain to 200-ish. Then came preganacy, gained 25 lbs. which came off w/in 2 weeks of baby. She's almost 1 1/2 years old and I've been stuck at 175-180 for the past year. Fat has a darn good memory because it loves being at this range, and doesn't want to budge. I think I've damaged my metabolism and now my body is holding on to every little ounce.

I've been successful. I know I can do it but my negativity gets in my way. I've been going to WW meetings, but have been following more of a low-carb/Atkins plan, which I just have to admit to myself although the theories sound good it just isn't for me and I can't hold to it for life. WW has worked for me too, but I have been seeing the same leader forever and she's old (80, yes 80!) and let's face it her meetings have much to be desired. I've heard the same stories over the last 4-5 years and she pulls out her same 2-point bologna sandwich every meeting to show people. I'm so tired of it and it does nothing for me. I live in a smaller town and there's only one other meeting site the next town over that she used to lead also. I've heard she's not at that one anymore so maybe I'll try it. Problem then is that I have to take my DD with me, which means I'm spending all my time trying to keep her entertained and quiet and don't get anything out of the meeting. The time is too early for any family to watch her.

I am at my wits end. I know the things I have to do. I know I need to get my arse in gear and start moving. I know I need to have a plan to stick to, otherwise there's too much wiggle room for unplanned choices. I just wish I could get it into my head and do it. I want to lose 20 pounds by Feb/Mar before I start trying for my 2nd baby. I also just need to get my eating habits in gear to be good role model for my DD and the next child that comes along. Why can't that be enough of a motivator???

I think for now I am going to start counting calories. I don't know if I want to keep my WW membership anymore. I am just at a crossroad right now, and I know I can't be in limbo forever as it will just undo my efforts.

Ugh. Thanks for listening!
amilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Amy!

I'm pretty sure that WW has an online program. Maybe given your current circumstances, if you want to stay with WW, you could give that a try?

If you go with Calorie Counting, boy, there are a TON of resources here for you. Tons of recipes, ideas, and support everywhere.

You -will- adjust to your new way of eating if you persist. The first week is often the hardest...this is a transition for your body, and it needs time to acclimate. Be strong - you can do this! Make the DECISION that this time is the last time, and COMMIT to changing your way of eating and moving for good.

If you aren't enjoying the foods you're eating on your plan, why not branch out? The 100 lb club has a thread - 101 things to do with chicken. That is almost a third of a year with a different low cal chicken recipe each night. Giving your taste buds new experiences might keep you from falling into a "I eat the same things and I'm SICK of them" rut.

What about exercise? Are you moving? Can you try different, exciting things? When I first started, I committed a few hours every weekend to some sort of new, physical activity - we rollerskated, went on paddleboats, canoed, went white water rafting, hiked, and went to a local rock climbing wall. Can you branch out and try new things? You might even find a new hobby!

Most of all, keep reading and posting. When my motivation flags, 3FC will almost always get me back on track.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

amilou,
Congratulations on getting down to 175-180! We are about the same height and I'm working on getting below 180-- arrgh!!
Calorie counting is the only thing that has worked for me (lost 55 lbs after college, and all my weight so far after baby).
One thing that has really worked well for me is keeping a food/exercise journal so I can look back over the past few months to remind myself that no matter how slow it may seem, I'm still losing. I was getting discouraged because I wanted to be below 180 by now, and I picked up my journal the other day and realized I had lost 6 lbs in the last month! That was motivation enough to get excited again!
This website community has been so helpful in the month I've been a part of it.
You can do it!! Just pick what works for you and stick with it!
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #4  

Thanks you 'chicks' for responding! I know the things to do, I really do just need to "Just Do It". Today I am doing a lot of reading, mostly from the maintainers, and I'm writing out a lot of thoughts and plans.

I have enjoyed WW meetings in the past, and I've always been pro-meeting for support. Just having my toddler with me turns my focus completely away from the meetings. WW online doesn't appeal to me much, I have all the info and I've found their message boards to be clique-y and not always supportive. This is the place I will come for support!

Tomorrow I re-start. I will plan tomorrow's meals and get them ready tonite. I will journal and start entries into my blog again. Exercise will start again as soon as my cold/flu is on it's way out...I am having bouts of dizziness with this and it's making me loopy .

Mom2mollie, I saw a post of yours the other day and noticed we were close to the same stats too! My DD is almost exactly 1 year older than yours. I will be watching for you around here and hopefully support one another along the way!

Off to plan, plan, plan.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Amilou - you might try taking some over the counter motion sickness medicine (like Bonine) for the dizziness. I get dizzy with pretty much every cold I get because my inner ear gets out of whack from congestion, and my doctor told me to try Bonine to help with this. Motion sickness meds work by shutting off the balance signals you get from your inner ear, so if that is the problem, they'll fix it.

Definitely see your doctor if it continues, though! And hope you feel better soon!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post

Most of all, keep reading and posting. When my motivation flags, 3FC will almost always get me back on track.

I never realized your motivation flags. You are always so supportive and upbeat.

Amilou, just reading what Manda wrote gave me some more encouragement. It'll work for you. Perhaps you can go to the library and get some workout videos to do at home. In fact, I think they have some out there whereby you workout with your baby. I used to lie on my back with my knees in the air and put my kid on my legs and just lift her. She thought it was fun and I got a bit of a workout.

I went to the library and rented all different types of workout videos until I realized that I was constantly rechecking the WATP (Walk Away The Pounds) videos. I went to Walmart and bought 1. It wasn't very expensive. Since then I have a library and vary my routines daily. I posted on here that I'm finally getting support at home. Every other day my DH, boobalah, works out with me. Since he's only beginning, I have to go back to the 2 mile ones with him.

You can do it. I, too, tried the low carb thing. I guess I'm one of the few people around whose numbers went up and my doctor had a fit! I did lose weight but the cholesterol, triglycerides and BP went up. I then tried a low fat diet. Can you say BORING! Then I went to plain ole calorie counting. It's slower than low carb but I eat some of everything. Some things have to be a "treat".

Have you set up Fit Day? That has been very helpful for me.

You can do it. You are worth it.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 161/156/140

Height: 5'10ish

Hi Amy, I just PM'ed you because I also live in the central valley. Anyway, like you said you know what you have to do and it's just a matter of doing it. I've always known that I had to cut out bread, rice, and sugar, but never had the courage to do it. I had to cut it out because they are trigger foods for me. I can be doing a great job, eating right, exericising and then try to reward myself with pizza or a candy and BOOM, I'm back to eating whatever I want, whenever I want. I still eat carbs, but in the form of vegetables, fruits, and dairy. Doing this has boosted my energy levels and I feel really really good. I really haven't lost anymore weight than I have already, but I'm looking toner (from lifting weights) and feeling better. If WW and Atkins aren't working for you, try something else, I think weight loss is a lot of trial and error. Keep at it and don't give up, you can do it!
JamieY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 161/156/140

Height: 5'10ish

Oh, one more thing, I don't know if you have a jogging stroller, but I finally broke down and bought one, a double one and it was the best thing I ever did. The kids love to go on walks and I get my workout in without having to leave them with a babysitter. They're worth the money.
JamieY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

amilou, I did the WW meeting thing years ago and lost 50 pounds, which I gained back. That was my fault, of course, not WW's. This time I chose to do WW without going to meetings, which means simply that instead of counting calories I counted points. I found it easier because I just got used to the point value instead of the calories. For support, I use 3FC, and quite honestly I've found more accountability and support here than I ever found at a WW meeting. Not that there aren't great WW leaders out there, because there are, but I just found that it worked better for my schedule (and finances) to do it this way.

Regardless of what you choose, I wish you the very best and I hope you continue posting here for support. I honestly think that was one of the most important factors in my success.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 258/139/105

Height: 5 ft 1

I know you said you live in a small town, but do you live anywhere near a Tops chapter? Tops stands for Take Off Pounds Sensibly. You can follow any plan you want with them. You weigh in and attend meetings weekly. It's cheaper than WW too. They also have a website tops.org. I can see why you would get tired of hearing the same stories all the time at WW. I wish you the best of luck
ann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #11  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Hey I just wanted to say goodluck! I am pulling for you.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #12  

Thank you everyone for the advice and support! For now I am going to start going to the Tuesday meeting in the next town over, which a friend goes to. I think the change will do me good. I've started logging my food into ***********; I've found they have more foods than Fitday does.

Will keep the board posted as my journey/battle continues!