Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #1  
8 yr Post-Op User

S/C/G: 287/194/170

Height: 5'5

Question Am I just lazy?

I have tried all diets out here, I have joined the gyms. I think I have no will power. I feel that with the surgery I will have to eat right and eat small amounts of else I will get sick. I have never been thin. I don't even know what thin feel like.
Being Simply Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I just had to pop in and tell you that no you aren't lazy. It can take many years for someone to find the thing that helps them lose weight. For me, I tried for many years and many diets and then one day something clicked and then I was able to start losing successfully but it has been a long learning process for me that has lasted nearly 4 years since that initial click and I'm still not at goal. For some people, they can get the click and reach goal/near goal in a short period of time. For other people, they may need the surgery to help them get to goal/near goal.

If you think surgery may be right for you, I suggest you do your research and make the right decision for you. Also, I would encourage you to continue to try eating healthier and incorporating exercise into your life.

Last edited by nelie; 10-09-2007 at 02:37 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
For other people, they may need the surgery to help them get to goal/near goal.
For some people health issues play a big part of their decision to have surgery and for some its a matter of life or death.

Yes, with surgery you will need to eat healthy and exercise, that is a given.

Personally.... I don't think your lazy, I don't think anyone who has surgery is lazy.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

hey there, Being Me - looks to me as if you've already had your 'click' moment - your atavar says that you're pre-op, which means that you're in process. you've made a decision.

and that also means THAT YOU'RE NOT LAZY!!!!! you may have doubts, concerns, issues. there may be second thoughts [like 'so many other people don't need surgery, why do i need it???']. but you can make yourself NUTS with thinking that way.

people without will power eventually give up on their weight loss journey. you have not.

now, having said that - what's on your mind - and i mean REALLY on your mind?

hugs - and welcome to the forum!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #5  
Losin' it forever!

Hi Simply!

I am waaaaay preop...just starting the process in fact, but when you said you don't know what it feels like to be thin, I was so there with you! I have been fat since I was six and though I have yo-yo'd for years, I have never had a substancial loss that I kept off for any length of time!

Now, am I lazy? Well, I work parttime, keep a very tidy house, do mounds of laundry every week (bedrooms are on second floor, washing machine and dryer in the basement) keep up with two boys, and don't get much help from hubby, who is more obese (When will saying that word get easier? Will it ever?) than I am and looking into the surgery as well. I don't think that is lazy! Yet, I get so frustrated on diet plans where the weight comes off so slowly I can't even tell a difference! I was very strict with myself for six months starting last winter; diet and exercise and though I dropped some pounds, I never lost so much as a clothing size!

So, I hear ya! But ya know what? I totally look forward to finding out what thin feels like, even though I'll be the first to admit that the unknown is a little bit scary. I have gotten so much respect for weight loss surgery from the boards I have frequented and from talking to others who have had it (I was thinking of bidding on an ebay item and the woman selling said in her ad that she had just lost 150 pounds. I sent her a message asking if she'd had wls and she emailed me her whole story. I love that everyone is so willing to share and be honest!). I know it is a tool and not a resolution to the problem, but I also know that my frustration in the past has come from very slow to non-existent results and that will not be the case with surgery. I can't imagine getting to thin for the first time in my life and ever wanting to be any other way.

You're almost there and we are all pulling for you!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #6  
8 yr Post-Op User

I think I am feeling a bit scared. I have so many emotions running thru me. I heard many people go thru these emotions before the surgery. I just dont want to die in the process. I want to be healthy, have kids, enjoy life as a thinner me.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #7  
8 yr Post-Op User

Thank you so much Barbara. I had my pre-op appt with my Dr. today and as I sat and waited for my name to be called I spoke to a couple post ops. One lady was only 1 week and 1 day post-op, another 10 days, 3 months and one had the surgery 13 yrs ago. They all encouraged me a whole lot. They all gave me advise and made me feel more comfortable with the surgery.