Old 10-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #1  
Washington, DC

Default Day One

Today is Day One of abstinence from binge eating.

Thanks,
Elaine
ElaineR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:31 AM   #2  

Height: 5'10"

Hi Elaine!

Congratulations on your first day of abstinence from compulsive overeating - knowing you are getting better is just such a blessing. If you look down the forum you will see my one day abstinent post - As of today I am 13 days abstinent - one day at a time. For me, it has been wonderful - the freedom from food has been the best feeling in the world.

Anyway, post here as much as you want/need - let the people on this forum support you. It is good to see you here

Last edited by Malinki; 10-09-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Malinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #3  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations Elaine! You will be amazed how life changes. Welcome!

(And congratulations Malinki, as well! Two weeks is a big deal! )
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #4  
Washington, DC

Thanks! I appreciate your responses. I am now half-way into day two. I've been compulsively overeating for over 20 years and I am 100 pounds overweight. Something really has to change.

Thanks again,
Elaine
Old 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #5  
Washington, DC

Ok, day 2 1/2 of abstinence.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #6  

Hey Elaine,

Well done on your two and a half days of abstinence! How are you feeling?

Just keep going, one day at a time. You can do this with your Higher Power's (God's) help and the programme.

(Oh and thank you Sidhe!)

Last edited by Malinki; 10-12-2007 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #7  
Washington, DC

It is day three for me now. Thanks. BTW, I would prefer not to get references to "god".

Thanks,
Elaine
Old 10-12-2007, 03:54 AM   #8  

Sorry Elaine,

I didn't mean God in the traditional sense, or imply any specific religion or doctrine - my concept of Higher power certainly doesn't fit with any world religion. So I have changed God in my previous post to Higher Power - I didn't mean to offend. The Overeaters Anonymous steps themselves do refer to to 'God' (as we understand Him) several times - steps 3,4,6 and 11 for example specifically use the word. I really wasn't trying to push anything on you.

Congratulations on three days abstinent
Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #9  
Washington, DC

Hi Malinki, thanks I appreciate your response. Actually, the religious component of this program is a major stumbling block for me and I think I may need to find a different kind of support group. Higher power, god, whatever.. its all religous and I am not comfortable with it at all. I really appreciate your response though, that was very thoughtful of you.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252.2/220/200 1st goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi ElaineR,
Just a quick response. OA is NOT a religious concept but a spiritual program. Spirit is in all of us and it is our Spirit that frees us from the bondage of compulsion.
Religion is very different from Spirituality. A HP is really the spirit within all of us. That is why the program works for people from all religions and works well for Atheists too.
All of the postings here will not make much sense to you without the literature or going to a meeting. My hope is you believe in your own inner Spirit which is your Higher Power.
Hugs,
Bumps
Magic Flute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Smile

Hey Bumps,

I've always been rather uncomfortable with the thought of the 'religious' aspect of the Anonymous meetings. Your explanation really helped me to understand what is meant by 'higher power' - thank you!

Penny
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #12  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

20 yrs ago I went to my first meeting........I never went back until last week. I didnt go back because I felt that religion was pushed on me too much.

I have someone in my life that knows the program, isn't in any way religious and has made the program work for him for over 14 yrs.

Replace the words with Higher Power, entity.....what ever you need to give it up to something that is stronger than you. Ive only been at this 4 days, and been to 2 meetings. This is what Ive done to get over the religious feelings I get from it. It doesnt help that these meetings are held in church basements either
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 224/212/140

There are a lot of us who are atheists or agnostics in program. The program is great, I just learned to get over the use of those terms. In fact, I find myself using them myself now despite the fact that I do not believe in any God in a religious sense. I am someone who believes in "something more" but can't really put a finger on what exactly that is. Maybe energy, love, goodness, kindness???

For many, their Higher Power is the power of OA, the power of the group, the power of others in program, a universal energy, the Big Book, the steps, whatever works.

I guess the key is to just believe that there is more to this world/life/existence than yourself. After all, if we are our own higher power how will we ever recover? We've tried helping ourselves time and time again and that hasn't worked. We need more.

Best wishes whether you decide to stay with OA or not. Do your own reading, searching, and questioning and you'll find your way.
Ann72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #14  
eeg

S/C/G: 215/203/160

Height: 5'6''

I too was turned off at my first meeting because I thought it was "religious." I didn't come back until I was so desperate that I would sit through it. It was such a relief to find out that I don't even have to believe in "God" to find recovery in this program. I believe that Bill W., the AA founder, was an agnostic. I think it is in the Big Book.

Please give it a chance. It could save your life. That's the bottom line really. Compulsive Overaeting kills people everyday. For many people, this program has helped them have a quality of life that they would never have dreamt of.

If there are particular people who seem to be trying to push a religious doctorine, please know that this is their problem and you don't have to "buy it." You have every right to say, "I am not religious, I'm an athiest, so I am really not interested in talking about this."

Also, it is against our traditions to push any religion, so a person doing that is doing so not representing OA.

Emily
eeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 147/144/132

Height: 5'7"

Today is day one (of many day ones) of not binging, I have lost my OA group since I moved, and I have also lost my way to abstaining from binging, purging, obsessing over every bite, and weighing myself. So on this new day one, I want to start my abstainance from all of the above, I need to accept that I am powerless to food, but also that it is MY constant choices that I need to maintain my goals. So today I am deciding that I will follow my meal plans, relax and just take it slowly, and not weigh myself until I have gotten to 10 days and then after that no more than once every 2-3 days. does this sound like a good idea, any suggestions?
TheSunWillComeOut is offline   Reply With Quote