Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #1  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Default scale question

Ok, as much as I would love to change my ticker, I have to admit I am using 2scales now and I cannot for the life of me figure out which one is more accurate.

The is a medical scale in the locker room at the gym. The kind where you move the bar over and tap it back and forth to get a weight. Then there is my evil digital scale which is quite tempermental. It always gives me different weights, even if I step on it three times in a row.

So which type of scale is more accurate? I am leaning towards the medical one, not because it is saying I am less weight but rather it just "feels" right. Are those tempermental as well though? Maybe I should make my weight somewhere between the two scales (there is a 3 pound difference).
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi Cat,

I have 2 answers for you:

1. buy a new home scale that is less temperamental! I'm of the 'weigh only in the morning, before eating, after using the bathroom and while nekkid' school of weighing, and for that, you need a consistent home scale.

2. Just pick one! It sounds as though the scale at the gym is more consistent and consistent readings, really, are more important than accuracy. It doesn't matter if it's one or two or even five pounds off, as long as it is always one or two or five pounds off.

For years I had an ancient scale that was somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds wrong. It didn't matter at all. If I lost weight, the scale would tell me; if I gained weight, ditto. I only got a new one because I wanted a digital scale that would measure in proper increments. The 'absolute' true number of your weight is less important than tracking your losses and holding steady during maintenance.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

What baffled111 said.

If you buy a new one, get a Tanita. They're fantastic and extemely accurate.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

There's only one scale that counts for me these days--at my Jenny Craig Centre! But I still sort of monitor things with my home digital one....but it is now "unofficial"....
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

The medical scale gives your true weight. You are weighing against other weights. All bathroom scales, digital or otherwise are spring scales which weigh against tension.

The bottom line is, no matter which you use, only use one scale or you'll drive yourself crazy.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote