Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #1  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Treadmills are boring :(

I've been using a treadmill for a while, and actually got off track recently, and hopefully I can get back on track, but i've found that when I'm bored, my endurance goes way down and exercise is far more torturous.

And I can't keep distracting myself in the same way, because my brain is a tricky little devil. So I'm hoping to stockpile methods of distraction that I can cycle through.

So far, I've got:
Listening to music (works, but as I don't own any cd's involves commercials EVERY FIVE MINUTES)

Singing while walking/jogging (very entertaining, although the actual quality of the singing goes way down when you're trying to jog at the same time )

Watching TV (Visually as well as aurally distracting, but my TV is screwy and can't change channels, and the 5 am news is just not very interesting)

Let the suggesting of distraction mechanisms begin!
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Any way you could prop a book on the handlebar-like thing and read?
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Eek! If at all possible, get off that DREADmill and jog/walk outside! I haven't been on a treadmill in months. I like them because they're easier on your knees, but only for a short run of 3 miles or less. Otherwise, I'd be pretty bored! The only thing I use to assuage the boredom is an iPod, so I don't have good suggestions other than -- get outside if you can!!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #4  
it's always something

I love love LOVE my treadmill
I have an ipod loaded with just the right mix of music to make walking fun. The music I choose for the treadmill is reserved just for it, lol, so I don't get bored of the songs while walking. Plus I have a fan to blow so I feel more comfortable.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Lisa. It's not that bad! I quite like the treadmill!

For me, music is the way to go (although if I could watch tv or movies, I probably would). It might be time to give in and buy a cd or two, or to download some good workout songs from the web. The music helps to keep you moving, moving, moving, and also, it's distracting.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
The music I choose for the treadmill is reserved just for it, lol, so I don't get bored of the songs while walking.
Me too. I have a special folder of songs that I ONLY listen to while I'm doing cardio. Mainly because the songs are atrocious (Britney, Beyonce, et al) and I don't think I could bear them if I wasn't in a high state of cardio vascular exertion.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #7  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I throw a movie in and watch the first hour while I run one day, and the rest the next time. I love my treadmill, but there's no way I could stand to watch TV running - too irritating! - and I cannot read while I run - just not coordinated enough!

I always wear my iPod when I run outside, but if you can throw in a film, why not try that?

Good luck!
Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Books on tape from your library, or - if feasible, an Audible subscription - download books on your mp3 player. I discipline myself to listen ONLY while exercising or cleaning. I get so much more done that way!!!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 314/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I have mine next to my computer and TV. I do the "watch it now" on Netflix. I find a TV series that I like and watch while I walk. A dvd is good too. I also like the idea of watching part now and part later.
Supersub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #10  

I'm addicted to audio books. I listen to them while I'm walking, cleaning, cooking, driving, shopping, putting on make up... Basically all the time that my body is engaged but my mind isn't. I only don't listen while I'm running--I need the music to help me to stay energized.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Don't get me wrong...I "like" treadmills. I just would NEVER choose a treadmill over running outside. That's partly because my runs are much longer now than they used to be. If you're doing a 10-mile run, you're certainly not going to do that on a treadmill unless you're a true glutton for punishment!!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I too listen to music but I also download podcasts to listen to. There are podcast on all sorts of topics. I mostly get mine through the iTunes store (free) but there are others around if you look.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #13  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Change something every few minutes. If you break your workout into smaller intervals, instead of just running/walking for one long time at one pace, it will be more interesting, the time will pass faster, and you'll get a better workout.

Run intervals for 15 minutes. Run fast for 1 minute, walk for 1 minute, run fast for 1 minute, walk for 1 minute, etc. etc. The 15 minutes will fly by and you'll burn as many calories, if not more, than if you were running at a steady pace. I've read about several studies that showed that people running intervals lost more fat than people running at a steady pace. I've been doing this two or three days a week for months and it never seems like it takes 15 minutes. I run 8 one-minute sprints in the 15 minutes and I count them down as I go (1 sprint down, seven to go; two sprints down, 6 to go).

Change the incline. Start at 0 and increase it by one every two minutes until you are at the highest incline (at some point you'll have to slow the pace to a walk). Then drop it by one every two minutes until you are back to 0. Incline work is great for your butt.

Do things other than running or walking. My trainer has had me shuffle sideways and bear-crawl on the treadmill. Bear crawling must be really good for you because it is one of his favorite exercises. He has me do it during almost every workout (although not usually on the treadmill). If you try these, start at a very slow pace (1 mph) until you get the hang of it.

Try walking with light hand weights. Do curls, shoulder presses, or lateral raises while walking.

Or try this treadmill workout from Health.com.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 10-02-2007 at 11:07 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #14  
hara hachi bu

I can't read books on my treadmill (too jumpy), but I can do magazines. My mom always gives me stacks of magazines so there's never a shortage of things to read.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:31 AM   #15  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

podcasts and music on my ipod. i have tried to read but it makes me almost seasick because I'm bobbling up and down and the words seem to fly off the page. I haven't tried a movie yet but I have done the occasional tv show. When I run at the gym they have 4 tvs for me to choose from lol.

If I run outside, which rarely happens, I use my ipod for music and the scenery keeps my mind from being bored as quickly!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote