South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 148/148/118

Height: 5'1" Hate being short!

Default New Member Confused About SBD

Hi,

I'm a brand new member with a few questions about the South Beach Diet. I just started it yesterday and am really confused.

What are the rules for Phase I? I feel like I am missing something. The book doesn't really break down the rules in a concise format.

Can you eat as much as you want off the Foods to Enjoy list or do you have to stick to the menus in the book?

What about diet soda, acceptable or not, how much? And what does "limited" mean-once a day, once a week?? Mu husband thinks it is 3x/day

The foods list in the 2001 book is different from the 2004 food guide such as with milk. Which do I follow? I am dying for some milk!

Thanks for the help!
lej2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Welcome, lej2b! For some information on SBD, check out the FAQ here.

If that doesn't answer all of your questions, please post again, and I'm sure we'd all be happy to help!

Note on the diet cokes: I drink one every Saturday now, but when I did P1 the first time, I drank one every other day. I'm not sure if the FAQ or book addresses that!

Again, welcome to the Beach!!
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #3  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Hope the FAQ helps.

You do not have to stick with the menus in the book, they are just there for people who don't like to plan for themselves. There are some wonderful P1 recipes in the recipe section. Don't forget to eat beans. The limited foods you can have 75 calories per day in those like sf hard candies, sf fudge bars, sf gum, those are the only calories you count.

I don't think the diet soda is limited, however, you don't want to drink that only. Be sure you drink your water and ask for help here. We all have the same goal which is to be healthy and skinnier.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #4  

Many things that used to be prohibited are allowed so be sure to check the food lists here in the FAQ section. Milk is encouraged (within limits) as it is a healthy carb. Welcome to the beach!
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

You don't need to follow the menus in the book, but you should follow the menu guidelines which are posted here...
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56861

Diet sodas are not limited, but caffinated beverages are limited to 1-2 a day. IMO, soda (or any other drink for that matter) doesn't replace water, and you can definitely overdo... I usually don't drink more than 3 a week and never more than 1 a day.

There have been some changes to the program since the book was written and the addition of dairy was one of the changes.. you should be having 2 cups of dairy a day in Phase 1 (it raises to 2-3 cups in Phase 2). Skim or 1% milk is fine as is Nonfat, Plain Yogurt.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote