Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Default Back Questions

Hey Everybody... It's been awhile since I've posted. Mostly I accidentally lurk and just read hehe..I've not been losing much weight due to the fact I've been having back pain and have not been exercising due to that. I finally went to the doctor about it and I got my results of my x-rays this morning that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my back. But my doctor recommended doing back strengthening exercises and just wearing very good comfy shoes which I will get better at. I've already ordered a beginners' pilates video since I've heard that is very good for your "core" muscles meaning your abdominals and back and it helps strengthen that area. Can anybody else out there give me some more suggestions and maybe about weight lifting?? I would like to weight lift to help strengthen my back but am only able to do so at home. I cannot afford to go to a gym yet. Are there any good websites that could guide me??

thanks all!
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I have back problems as well. X-rays showed nothing. Finally, 5 months later (and after spending lots of money on physical therapy that didn't work), I couldn't sit in a chair without crying and finally saw a doctor who ordered an MRI. Turns out I had two bulging discs in my back. It was also then that I found out that exercising HELPS. It builds your core muscles, which in turn help carry your weight instead of the discs which help the discs heal. I started off slow, just with walking. Anyway my point is I don't think you should stop exercising unless you are in excrutiating pain when doing so, but if that is the case I would go back to the doc or see another one and ask about an MRI.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Good to see you here.

Your doctor should have given you a pamphlet or other information that has back exercises you can do to begin strengthening your back. I would say you should not even consider weight lifting until you have done some milder strengthening exercises first. Even Pilates may be too strenuous.

Here are two of many sites that list beginning back exercises:

http://www.back.com/articles-exercises.html

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_r...m?Thread_ID=17

You can search for more... Also, I completely agree with the very good shoes. Some people think their knees, back, etc. have gone "bad" when it's just that they are wearing lousy shoes.

Good luck! Take it easy to start!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Here is my favorite weight lifting site, it's got a little video to show you how to do each exercise and it breaks them up into sections, so just look for back exercises. Good luck!

http://www.shapefit.com/training.html
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Modkittn- I'm deaf and unfortunately I can't do an MRI due to the fact I have metal in my head from my cochlear implantation surgery. But my doctor did say to try all of this first and to come back and he would do more tests if necessary. But thanks for telling me about the MRI. I hadn't even thought of that.

Jayell- Thanks so much for the websites Jayell.. My doctor did say to really baby myself with doing any weight lifting exercises or back strengthening exercises until my back gets stronger. He just wants me to walk and get stronger.And Yes whenever I wear a comfy pair of shoes it really greatly helps with my back, hips, knees and etc..And I find I don't feel sore and achy at the end of the day and have as much back pain. It's amazing how many people don't think about their shoes! All of my girlfriends think I'm crazy and too picky for wanting cute but comfy shoes.

LeedaRenee- Thanks so much for the website! That's exactly what I needed.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #6  
hara hachi bu

I'm not sure what kind of back problems you have, but I had some upper-back pain for years. I went to a physical therapist for it and they gave me some of those big rubber bands to use. They also recommended rolling up a towel and placing it between my lower back and my chair when I sat, to provide extra lumbar support. As it turns out, my back problems went away when I lost 50 pounds.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Height: 5'4"

I love this place. Seems like somebody else is having the same or similar issues! I had upper back pain, physical therapy was great.

I have leg pain/numbness that turns out to be from my back, my back doesn't hurt. Go figure. Physical therapy made that worse for me.

I can do an elliptical machine for 35 minutes a day, no problem. I get tired and sore, but no leg/back problem. I can ride the stationary bike and sometimes my sciactica has a fit and gets itself into an uproar, sometimes no problem. But I cannot, I simply cannot, walk. No way, no how, everything from the waist down completely goes nuts and that's it. Take a seat, darlin', you're going to be there for awhile!

Keep track of the symptoms and if exercising relieves them or makes them worse. If your back doesn't get better within about two months get back to the doctor and push for the next step. I'm going on my 7th month, trying to get to the right doctor for each step of the process is not the fastest thing with my insurance. My next step is an epidural (it helps reduce the swelling to stop the nerve pain so the back can heal) -- then I can see the trainers and get the program to tone the core and get the back healthy again.

Do yourself a huge favor, get resolution faster than I did. Even with insurance it can be done faster than I did it. Somewhere around month #6 it gets real old, becomes a real drag and can be depressing as all get out. Avoid that part if you can!
kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Once you get medically cleared, you could consider a single session with a personal trainer (many trainers will come to your home and show you good home-based workouts) until you are ready to hit the gym. Or alternately, if you have access to physical therapy visits from your insurance, you might ask the therapist for some good exercises you can do safely.

My favorite back exercise ever is the deadlift (stumptuous is a great site, isn't it? funny and informative!), but depending on where your back needs strengthening and whether or not your issue is muscular or a disk, it might not be appropriate for you.

You can do a deadlift using simple dumbbells, or you can go out and get a barbell and a few plates. No fancy bench or gym membership required!
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote