Old 10-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs down Vent, Rant, Ugh!

I babysit during the day. I watch a little boy whose dad works with my husband. Last week, the little boy's (I'll call him David) mom came in to drop him off and she was complaining about the nurse at the health department. She said that the nurse went on about how David is overweight and not getting enough vitamins, etc. So, she chalked it up to the nurse being stupid and not liking David. So, I just listened. But, I could have told them the SAME thing as the nurse and I'm not anywhere near being a medical person.

All that they bring David to eat is either: A) Beans 'n weenies (he only eats the weenies) B) Ramen Noodles or C) Spagetti O's. For breakfast, all they ever send is cereal in which you can SEE the sugar coating on it. That's it...that's his menu when he's here 5 days a week!!! And, they never bring him milk because they said he won't drink it..... he'll only drink juice. They were so proud of this juice that they found him because it is 20% less sugar than other juices. But, I started wondering if he only drinks juice why isn't his poo runny ALL the time (I know my kids can only have a cup of juice of day or their diapers get runny) So, I inspected the package for the juice, I found that on there it says that there is less than 10% fruit juices in it. It's basically sugar water...but at least it's 20% less sugar. I know that the mom doesn't "cook" all they eat is boxed meals..... and I guess that if David doesn't eat what she makes, she gives him CHEETOS for dinner because that's all he'll eat sometimes!!!!! They don't even TRY to give him veggies because THEY don't like veggies. David is a full year younger than my son yet he weighs more. He doesn't get any vitamins (I know that sometimes Doctors can prescribe liquid vitamins for kids) and he's constantly sick. Yet, his parents get offended because someone implys that their son is a little overweight and needs more nutrients. They both (the parents) are trying to lose weight with WW.... and I know that WW is about eating healthy - but they don't try to get their son to eat healthy. Just because Cheetos is all he'll eat doesn't mean you should give him Cheetos. If he gets hungry enough, he WILL eat something other than the Cheetos.

Whatever I make my kids for lunch (I try my best to make them balanced meals.... fishsticks, carrots, bananas one day - baked chicken, broccoli with cheese, apples the next...or grilled cheese sanwiches, peas, peaches etc.) or breakfast (eggs, toast & all-fruit jelly or oatmeal) I'll try sitting some on David's tray before I give him any of his food. He won't even try ANY of it..... won't even look at it. But if I put his beans and weenies in front of him, he goes to town like a little oinker after those weenies, or Ramen Noodles (aka a couple of noodles with a salt shaker full of salt).......
They'll send him Graham Crackers for a snack.... now regular Graham crackers are fine... we give them to our kids every once in a while for a snack..... but David's graham crackers have actual sugar granules all over the top of them.... why? why not just regular graham crackers??? why do you have to get him the ones with the extra sugar all over the top of it????????

I know it's not Davids fault. But, I get so aggrivated and angry with his parents because they are setting him up to eat like this for the rest of his life. I KNOW how hard it is to be fat.... and I feel awful for him because that's where he's headed with his life. David's moms brother (Davids uncle) is well over 600 pounds, Davids Grandma is over 300 pounds. But, they just don't get it.

I want so badly to inform them of what they're doing to him.... but - I certainly don't want to offend them as they are our friends as well. I know that we aren't "perfect", but at least we realize what happens when you feed a kid stuff like that. The BEST time to teach a kid about veggies is when they FIRST start eating them..... I HATE sweet potatoes, but I sure as heck gave my kids all the sweet potatoes that they wanted when they were infants.... same goes with all the other veggies out there. Just because I don't a certain veggie doesn't mean I want my kids to follow suit.

Okay, I think that's all for now... I just had to vent.
LondonJulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

It does amaze me how ignorant some people are of basic nutrition. My mom babysat the son of a thin, pretty, barbie-clone (with about as much brains). The boy was 4 when my mother started watching him. I was in college at the time and saw him a few times on weekends. The poor little guy was only about half the weight and 2/3 the height of other kids his age. Both of his parents were very tall, so this seemed a bit odd. And he was the only little kid that I'd ever seen with bags under his eyes.

My mom told me tons of stories but the one that stuck in my head was shortly after he was enrolled in all-day kindergarten. She would send him to school with one carton of low-fat yogurt (80-100 calories). He didn't eat it one day (gosh, I can't believe he wasn't hungry enough to eat the yogurt and the container) and forgot it at school. When she came to pick her son up in the evening, he told her about this, and she said "that's ok, you can eat it tomorrow." (Um, no refrigeration at school). She was dieting, and would have a salad for dinner, and so that's what he'd get too (with no protein on the salad).

I remember mom saying the woman told her that she couldn't believe the growth spurt in her son since she started bringing him. My mom isn't one to keep silent, so she gave the woman several earfuls over the years that she watched the boy. The woman dismissed it all, and thought that my mom was full of (well, you know) because my Mom was fat, so she certainly didn't know as much about nutrition as she thought. My mom stopped telling her what the boy ate during the day, because she'd just cut back on his dinner to "keep him from getting fat." He was so hungry at first, that he would beg for food all day, even after eating, and would hoard it by stashing it in his pockets for later.

Mom thought about calling social services once she figured it out, but by the time she realized what was going on, the boy looked pretty healthy (though still a little small) and Mom was afraid they wouldn't believe her, and the woman would get mad and just take the kid out of daycare and he wouldn't even get the decent lunch Mom gave him.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #3  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

Height: 5'5"

That's a tough one. David's health vs. alienating his mother. O the one side opening her eyes is important for David, but if in doing so she gets angry and moves on to someone who will agree with her that both the nurse AND her babysitter were speaking out of turn- it won't do anyone any good.

One small suggestion would be to see if you can make an arrangement with her to feed him whatever you are making for your children for his meals and snacks. (or you provide healthy alternatives to his sugary ones). Would she be willing to pay a bit more for you to provide the food? After a while you could mention how much he likes the apples & cheese for his snack, etc. Then it could be infused into a conversation about WW, healthy foods, and how he may like to eat the foods they are eating, (assuming they are eating proper foods and not just filling their points with junk too???)

Spaghittios just gross me out!!! I remember a boy my sister was babysitting and all they would send is a can of them every day.... his diapers were sooooooo gross... lol. ok ok enough of the repressed memories....

Good luck to you LondonJulz. I hopw you can wake those parents up soon.
iwmonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 AM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Both of these stories are so sad! I had my own food battles with my parents as a teenager, but as I age and have a child of my own I'm *so* thankful that they taught us kids to eat balanced meals, and they never restricted how much we ate (well, except on treats).

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwmonn View Post
One small suggestion would be to see if you can make an arrangement with her to feed him whatever you are making for your children for his meals and snacks. (or you provide healthy alternatives to his sugary ones). Would she be willing to pay a bit more for you to provide the food? After a while you could mention how much he likes the apples & cheese for his snack, etc. Then it could be infused into a conversation about WW, healthy foods, and how he may like to eat the foods they are eating, (assuming they are eating proper foods and not just filling their points with junk too???)
That was why I try feeding him what our kids have for their lunches. I don't mind making extra if he'd eat it. My mom had actually suggested that, see if he'd eat what I made for my kids. It's like if it's not obviously coated in sugar or if it's any color other than "beans 'n weenies" beige - he won't even TRY it. I've tried putting stuff on a spoon and he clamps his mouth shut and turns his head. I've tried putting it on his tray so he could do it himself.... he just stares at it like "what on EARTH am I supposed to do with THIS?"
I doubt they'd pay me anymore than they already are. They don't have him in a regular daycare because it's too expensive (and because regular daycare wouldn't let him carry around his juice cup all day and constantly be drinking out of it...... I don't let him either, but they don't know that ) I'm fairly sure they don't eat salad and veggies. I think they just fill their points with junk food. Oddly enough, they were the ones that gave us their WW material once they were sure that they "had it all down".

I mean, don't get me wrong, we don't deprive our kids. If we go out for the day as a family - we'll go out and eat pizza or get a cheeseburger. They've had Rice Krispie treats and my son is as much of a fanatic about chocolate as I am. At my moms house, he and my mom would share ice cream. So, I'm not trying to be snooty... "my kids only eat foods that are NUTRITIOUS". Because they are kids, and like us, they get treats once in a great while. But, to me, does it not seem like a form of child abuse? Like Kaplods said about the little boy her mother watched.... it was obvious that his mother had a warped sense of nutrition with her son....not giving a child enough nutrients, vitamins, etc...... and raising them to become obese is really unfair to the child. He has no choice in it. Sure, if when he becomes a teenager and has a job and can buy his own mcdonalds, burger king, and krystals burgers..... that would be his decision... but right now, as a BABY (he's not 2 years old yet), these kids are completely dependant on mommy and daddy to make the right choices for them (in EVERYTHING...what they eat, drink, what they learn, etc)

On the other hand, I feel like an enabler because I feed him the things his mom sends him. And, I don't want to do that. So, do I just say "don't send him any food, I don't want to take part in raising your son to grow up fat"??? It kills me to have to open up another package of Ramen Noodles and let him eat them...slap a can of Spagetti-O's in the microwave for him) When I worked at daycare, mommy's couldn't send their baby's their lunches (except for infants who still ate babyfood). Lunches were made for the kids at the daycare center. If the kid didn't like what was on the days menu (including a cup of milk for lunch) and refused to eat it, then the kid just wouldn't eat. Simple as that.

So, if it comes down to it, I may just not watch him anymore. Luckily my kids don't beg to eat what David eats.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #6  

Maybe because I was a fat kid (well, after the age of 4), I think there are issues besides the risk of obesity. Not to diminish the concern over obesity, but I while I may have been overfed (or just underexercised), I wasn't undernourished. There are so many diseases of poor nutrition that he could be at risk for (rickets come to mind from lack of calcium).

One suggestion I can give, is rather than trying to encourage him to eat anything, is to subtly make his food less attractive than the good food the other kids are eating. It may sound kind of cruel, but just giving him his food with neutral emotions, but giving the other kids their foods as if they were special, amazing treats. "Let's all cheer for celery and light ranch dressing, Yeah!!!" Jealousy may encourage him to try some of the healthier snacks. This may work now or may take some time or work better when he's a little older, but by 3 it usually works wonders.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #7  
Remember Why I'm Here

I spent a few years working in a daycare. The parents sent lunches, but were given a list of foods not acceptable- sugar, cake, candy etc.... the reasoning at that time was more along the lines of sugar highs lead to inevitable crashes, and the fact that the kids with the more "boring" lunches were helping the others eat their lunches instead of their own...

I love kaplods thoughts about making his food look less appealing.

Maybe you take the tough approach. You be allowed to feed him nutritious food or she finds another babysitter. Start maybe by using the same foods but healthier versions (make the beans in your kitchen & add some turkey franks), Ramen noodles in a veggie broth instead of the salty packets they come with???
I don't know how close friends you are with her, but I'm sure you don't want to hurt her feelings or make her feel you're attacking her choices. Maybe tell her you're kids are feeling they want to eat what he's eating and in good conscience you need to "healthy up" the choices.... little by little, day by day he may go for this
Old 10-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #8  

Thank you for all the wonderful advice!! I am going to have to suck it up and talk to them though, somehow. I'm not necessarily a confontational person. We aren't "best friend" close, but we do hang out often.

OH, and I took a sip of his juice today to see what it tasted like. You know those Ice-E-Pops you put in your freezer.... it tastes like those. Sugar water.... tastes good and sweet, I can see why he likes it but it certainly doesn't taste like fruit juice of any kind.

Last edited by LondonJulz; 10-02-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #9  

A lot of times you can difuse the situation by making it someone else's fault (rather than hers or yours).

You could do things like tell her that you wanted to get some of the "low sugar juice" that she found for your kids, and you were so mad to find out that it didn't even contain juice at all, and how wrong it is that the company can mislead parents like that....

Or tell her things that you "recently" found out (though you may have known all along) and how you had no idea it was so bad for kids....

The indirect approach may work better. Or at least warm her up for the day you ask her to stop bringing in stuff that you don't want your kids to eat. She may think you're becoming a "health nut," but might be less likely to see it as a personal attack.

Not that there's anything wrong with the direct approach, but if you hate confrontation, the indirect approach can sometimes help you avoid it (though it is a lot more work, and sometimes requires a little acting ability).
Old 10-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #10  
Remember Why I'm Here

I'm definately the indirect approach kinda gal! I've recently taken over as the manager of the store I've worked in for 5 years. With an owner who will actually back me up in my decisions. Now, I'm one of THEM to my co-workers and last week I started acting like one. One of the techniques I use is to make things "nobody's fault".... like the customer who told the owner how his sandwich was so nasty and soggy .. (I made the decision not to keep tomatoes on the premade sandwiches and I knew the deli girl would have a problem so I just blamed it on an unknown customer- no face lost) and now we only do tomatoes by special request. Oh and I had a day old sandwich yesterday for lunch and it was unbelivable how fresh it actually tasted without that tomato. Thursday I have to deal with er fingernails. It's really hard being a boss to a friend.

Anyways, I think the idea will kind of be the same. I am really interested to hear how this goes for you (and david).
Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

You could tell her too that slight changes would help. Like adding veggies to the beans and weenies, or switching to Juicy Juice (it is 100% juice and oh so yummy), try also being sneaky.....he liked cheetos....go for carrots. Maybe since they look the same he will try it. Also as Rachael Ray always says if you cover the veggies with stuff the kids won't know. He likes ramen noodles...make your own version with healthier noodles and veggies. Honestly, if he is drinking and eating nothing but sugar that could potentially rot out his baby teeth through to the regular ones. Not to mention all the health problems. It's so sad when they have trained him to eat like that.

My mom used to babysit for kids before she had us and she said she had one little boy like that and she made him try the stuff. She wouldn't give in and eventually he would try it. What was crazy was he had never touched grass before in his life (he was 3 or so years old) So my mom was outside with the other kids barefoot and she took him out there and he started screaming. She just slowly introduced him to things and it worked out.

From a psychology standpoint the idea of making the good food look amazing and the stuff he is eating look just average that is a really good thought. It's reinforcement. If you make the stuff you made look absolutely amazing for your kids and you and then his stuff just look ho-hum he will eventually want to try it.

Hope this helps....I have no experience with children however I am nearly a BS in psychology. Good Luck
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Gosh... just read this, and I find it SOOO sad. He is eating food that is not only nutritionally void but FULL of high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, etc. She is setting him up for a future of ill health, likely obesity, and very likely type 2 diabetes.

I wonder if you could anonymously submit them to the show "Honey, We're Killing the Kids." They are an ideal case for the show because the kid's health is in dire risk, and the family needs to totally overhaul their eating.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #13  

It's an interesting idea, but not very practical. I think the odds of getting social services involved would be much greater than the odds of getting them on a tv show. They're not going to accept am anonymous nomination when there are thousands of people trying to get on the show. Besides, they'd probably out you on the show for more "dramatic" effect.

Besides, while I do like watching the show, I believe their tactics are more entertaining than effective. I wonder how many people maintain these changes after the crew leaves, or even makes more modest, but permanent changes.

Change is difficult and "bootcamp" style changes have a pretty poor history of long-term success. It's good entertainment to completely makeover these families from day 1, but that isn't a change that most people are going to stick with. They're going to revert to old, comfortable habits very quickly.
I'm not just guessing here either, I'm going by the research (My master's degree is in developmental psychology which covers the physical and psychological development of the human being from birth to death, including learning, language, and behavior)

The show wants you to see kids kicking and screaming at the dinner table, so they make such drastic changes that even the parents are going to be skeptical (at best). When working with kids (and even most adults, even us here) is starting with small easily doable (and therefore painless) changes, and working slowly, but steadily towards progressively more advanced goals.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhighlan86 View Post
You could tell her too that slight changes would help. Like adding veggies to the beans and weenies, or switching to Juicy Juice (it is 100% juice and oh so yummy), try also being sneaky.....he liked cheetos....go for carrots. Maybe since they look the same he will try it. Honestly, if he is drinking and eating nothing but sugar that could potentially rot out his baby teeth through to the regular ones. Not to mention all the health problems. It's so sad when they have trained him to eat like that.

Hope this helps....I have no experience with children however I am nearly a BS in psychology. Good Luck
They used to have him on Juicy Juice... then they found this stuff and was roped in by the "less sugar" thing... I don't think that they even thought about the fruit factor....

Funny you mentioned the carrot switch-a-roo for Cheetos. I actually tried that the other day. We had some of those tiny baby carrots. So I put one in front of him. He got so excited, picked it up, looked at me with a very disgruntled look, put it back down and stared at it like it might kill him.

Everyone on here has degrees in some form of Psychology. I used to want to do that for the LONGEST time. It was always my favorite subject in school (high school and college). I took it twice in college.... I aced it both times... I just enjoyed it so much the first time I wanted to do it again...lol
Old 10-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

That's silly about the Juicy Juice thing, the sugar in it is coming from natural sugars in the fruit. Some people. There are times I know you have to say that's there kid it's not my place, but I don't think this is one of those cases. They are setting him up for such a bad future. I dunno.

Too funny about the carrots, I actually thought there might be a chance he would try it.

I enjoy Psychology quite a bit and sense there are so many different areas people can go into it's growing more and more popular. I am pursuing a BS right now and then I'm going to go on to get my MS in behavioral psychology to work with dogs.

Hope you find a way to help
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote