Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #1  

Default Work Out Suggestions

Hello,

I am in need of some suggestions for exercising! I basically have arthritis in both knees which makes it hard for me to exercise at this time. I know with time, I will feel better as i get some of this weight off!! In the meantime, besides water aerobics (which I try to do once a week), is there anything else that could help strengthen my body and get this weight off at a faster pace? Walking does not work because it is hard on my knees. If anyone else has this problem, I would appreciate any advice!! Thanks guys!!!
3meows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #2  

Height: 5'2"

Hi 3meows,
Sorry I don't know your first name.
My suggestion is to try and use a recumbent crosstrainer. I have been using this piece of equipment for a year and I love it. It is expensive to buy, but I use it at my fitness club. Since you are seated, it is easy on the joints. Friday, I was measured again and since I started LAWL and have been using the crosstrainer, I have lost 5 inches in my thighs. Wow!!!
I use it about twice a week and I am able to do other forms of exercise the other days. It is a good workout for the legs and arms and you can adjust the difficulty of the movement.
Here is the link so that you can see what it looks like - www.nustep.com. There are testimonials about it.
I am sure others will chime in with their suggestions.

week 38
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 48 lbs.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #3  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Low impact aerobics are always a good bet too. I actually ended up with more of a work-out from the neo-classic Sweatin' to the Oldies than I ever did from walking on the treadmill.

Also, if you want to tone, go get a stability ball. I sit on mine every night when watching TV, I'm getting a core work-out without the sweat. It's a wonderful thing.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #4  

Thanks Megan for the suggestions - I used to live by the Sweatin by the Oldies. I am a sucker for the songs and choreography. I should go back to those.
I will have to get a stability ball for watching TV.

week 38
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 48 lbs.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #5  

Ok, thanks so much -- by the way, my name is Fern!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #6  

Here is some info I found about sizing and other info on the stability ball.

When sitting on the ball, your thighs should be parallel to the floor. Most brands of stability balls come in several sizes, and generally speaking, adults 5' to 5'6" tall should use a 55cm ball, while those 5'7" and over should use a 65cm ball.

When inflating the ball, it is suggested that you use more air for a more unstable, or tougher workout, while less air is better suited to those just getting used to ball workouts.
You can use the stability ball to sit on to watch TV. The constant adjustment and readjustment that your body makes on the ball will work your core muscles.

week 38
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 48 lbs.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

If you are having knee trouble, and cannot do much standing work, or cardio work, here are my suggestions:

~Check out the website called Collage Video. They are a website that sells nothing but exercise vhs/dvds. They have a specialty section, and they have special videos there like chair dancing, chair exercise, etc. for those who have lower body issues. They also have clips of all of their videos, so you can see a 30 second clip before you purhase-so you can get an idea of what the dvd/vhs is like.

~Recumbent bicycle. If you could get one, they would be better for you than a regular exercise bike, because the way that your body is positioned takes strain off the knees and back.

~Upper body and abdominal strength training videos/dvds. Tamillee Webb has one that I own called "I Want Those Arms" and it can actually be done sitting in a chair the entire time. It has two separate upper body routines with weights-each 15 min. long. Since it focuses on biceps, shoulders, etc. you can do either section while sitting on a bench or in a kitchen style sturdy chair. If you have never done strength training, you want to be sure that you give 48 of rest time between workouts for the particular area that you are working-so if you did this, or an abdominal workout, you would want to do it every other day, instead of every day.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #8  

THANKS so much for all of the suggestions. I am going to try and get myself to the gym and start with the bike and go from there. I am also going to continue with the water aerobics!