Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 159/TICKER/110

Height: 5'1

Default WATP- How does it work?

I keep hearing pretty good things about this dvd but can't figure out how it's actually done. Are you really walking around you living room or just walking in place. Are there other exercised incorperated with the walking? I'm just trying to figure out if I wanna buy it or not. Thanks ladies!
ShyShy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #2  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I love, love, love WATP. You may want to go to Collage Video and check out "Leslie Sansone", that way you can watch clips before you buy it.

It's walking in place, but she adds movements to intensify your workout. Kicks, sidesteps, double sidesteps, grape vines, Kick backs, knee lifts, and so on. Most of her programs also use a booster...weights, stretchie band, ab belt, etc. I love Walk Slim, I think it's my favorite of hers so far. Check it out!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

It's mostly walking in place, occasional walking a few steps forward and back, plus side steps, knee lifts and kicks on all the programs; on quite a few (Leslie Sansone has several series, the earliest from the late 80s-early 90s [the era of big hair and spandex] is called Walk Aerobics, Walk Away the Pounds is a more recent series and Walk Slim is her newest, and I have several others that don't look to belong to a particular series) there are hamstring curls as well, and some of them have even other maneuvers that I admit aren't so easy for me. Some call for weights and resistance bands ("stretchies"), which I have, and steps which I don't. Leslie also has some one-off videos with kick-boxing (I can't do that at all), yoga and pilates
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #4  

ok, sounds interesting, I'll go check out a clip. So I'd have to also but the stretchies?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #5  

OK I watched a couple of clips and it looks pretty cool and someone please correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like stuff I can just do wtihout buying the dvd's. It seems as though I could just do it while watching my fave tv program or something adding in some arm movements with my dumb bells and incorporating side steps, lunges etc. I could be totally wrong though, because I did only see a couple of short clips.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #6  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyShy19 View Post
OK I watched a couple of clips and it looks pretty cool and someone please correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like stuff I can just do wtihout buying the dvd's. It seems as though I could just do it while watching my fave tv program or something adding in some arm movements with my dumb bells and incorporating side steps, lunges etc. I could be totally wrong though, because I did only see a couple of short clips.
You know, I decided to try this once or twice, and it just didn't get me the cardio workout. Leslie's programs are paced very carefully to make sure that you're going the right speed, and I just couldn't get it right on my own, lol. Perhaps you could, but I'm just not that talented. Weights, sure, but I can't do cardio without a DVD; just doesn't work for me.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I got the 3 and 4 mile express from walmart and it included the stretchie band. I absolutely love it...it is definately an amazing workout. On top of that it was only $15. So just figure 2 different cardio workouts and a strength training all in one. Works for me!
Rhighlan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyShy19 View Post
ok, sounds interesting, I'll go check out a clip. So I'd have to also but the stretchies?
Some sources have the stretchie bundled with the videos, but you can also get stretchies separately from the Collage Video catalog or from sporting-goods stores, I got mine in a 3-pack @ Sports Authority.

One more thing, she always says you don't *have* to have the stretchies/weights, on some of her videos she specifically has one instructor doing the program without the weights.

Last edited by ANOther; 09-26-2007 at 06:14 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:10 PM   #9  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Hey shyshy, I have several of Leslie's walks and lately have just been doing it on my own while watching tv. I wear a heart rate monitor to be sure that I'm getting into my zone. I got really bored with doing the same walks over and over and anything over 30 minutes, I just lose interest. Now when I do it while watching tv, the time seems to fly by. I'm not Leslie-bashing by any means. I love her and her workouts, but to answer your question, you can do them on your own. You just need to be sure you're getting in an aerobic zone. I've done so many of her workouts that I know the pace that I need to do.
Best wishes, Donna
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #10  

Well hello ladies, I just did it, I did my own version of WATP I guess you could say, I did it for 30 mins while watching DR. Phil. IT WORKED!!!
I got out my old arobic step and just started walking in place, adding some side steps, leg lifts, dum bells, squats etc. I made sure my heart rate satyed up and I got a good sweat going. In no way am I saying that the WATP dvd wouldn't give just as good or better workout I'm just saying I got a very effective IMO workout doing it all by myself, it was actually a lot of fun too and I liked how well the time flew by becasue I had my eyes on the T.V.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #11  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Shy, Great job! Keep up the walking! I like Leslie's videos too, but I think they would get old if I did them all the time. I mix them up with aerobic dance dvds. But, walking is still my favorite exercise I like the walk slim series - the interval training really makes me feel like I got a good workout.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote