Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #1  
Made of Starstuff

Default New + Exercise Question

Howdy everyone Quite new here. New to the forums on a whole, new to this group of lovely people! Wanted to say "Hello" ^.^

While I'm at it, maybe someone here has some advice about starting a new exercise? Here's the thing, I've got a lot of weight to lose (as one can tell by the ticker). I'm nervous about joining a group of people to do something. For example, I've been interested in learning more and perhaps trying out yoga, but I want to be able to learn it properly, and I'm not sure I'd feel so comfortable in a class full of people who are trendier, hipper & skinnier than I am. (After all, I'm just a pudgy nerd. ) Have any advice? Tips? Words of encouragement? Been there done that? I sure could use it. Thanks!!! (>^.^)>
Old 09-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

Maybe you could rent or check out a video from the library and practice at home first? Once you have some of the moves down you won't feel so much like a noob when taking the class?

also, keep in mind, these people may be trendier, hipper and skinnier - but they all started out somewhere and you'll have to too!

welcome to the group!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziness View Post
Maybe you could rent or check out a video from the library and practice at home first? Once you have some of the moves down you won't feel so much like a noob when taking the class?

also, keep in mind, these people may be trendier, hipper and skinnier - but they all started out somewhere and you'll have to too!

welcome to the group!
Thanks I'll have to keep an eye out for a video or two. You're right, maybe then I won't feel like I'm in Outlands asking how to cast "heal" on someone... *snort* >.>
Old 09-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #4  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

Welcome, Faerie! I'm rather new to this all myself, but I have been doing yoga a bit longer than any of this other fun stuff like counting calories

When I started yoga, I started with yoga for larger (normal) women. I ordered online a book by Megan Garcia entitled Megayoga and her DVD Yoga: Just My Size.

This was a great start and pretty soon I moved up a notch and ordered more advanced DVDs.

I have always felt weird in classes, gyms, and other places, too. Not so much my size, but it's just how I am. I dunno, maybe if their was a gym that blasted TOOL and had nothing but intelligent, tattooed, pierced, ex-junkies, who would want to talk politics and literature (not Oprah and Good Housekeeping) while pumping in a place that used energy saving bulbs and recycled plastic water bottles....I'd go there. So, my little at home exercise space as worked perfectly thus far.

Good luck on your journey! Joining this site is a great start!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

LOL Thanks for that Ollie ^^ I totally agree about gyms!
Old 09-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/221/170

Height: 5'4"

I hate the gym scene! Hate it with a passion. I would much rather walk/do dvds alone, I like my own company better than all those fake, overly judgemental people. I'm just sayin is all...

Funny thing is my Rambo husband digs the gym scene, especially after returning from a deployment. However after about 6-8 mos, he returns to normal and avoids it like the plague. I guess it's from having only weight lifting and missions to do while deployed.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:30 AM   #7  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I'm a big fan of DVDs too... I've lost 52lbs so far just walking and working out at home. You can watch clips at collagevideo.com and sort by skill level.

I'm a big fan of the Turbo Jam DVDs... but there is something out there for everyone!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Sweet Thanks all for the video ideas!
Closed Thread