Old 09-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #1  

Smile I'm New and looking for support

Hi everyone I'm new to these boards. I am a 24 year old nursing student looking to lose about 30 pounds. I also have 6-weeks til I have to pass my PT test for the National Guard. I'm looking for support, and possibly a diet buddy. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do first. If possible can someone give me some advice on diets and exercise programs? Thank you so much!!
Amber
Newlywed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #2  
Taking It Back

S/C/G: 199.8/189.2/134.2

Height: 5'6.2"

Hello, and welcome to the boards! We all have different diets and/or exercise programs, but I think almost everyone will agree that it is important to drink lots of water and get plenty of exercise.

Myself, I am not on a strict diet. Rather, I am cutting down on fast foods and junk and adding more fruits and vegetables to my eating. I do the Tae-Bo exercise videos, because, for me, they give me a great feeling of strength and I feel very proud after I complete one.

If you want to follow a specific diet, let us know a little bit about preferences. Do you have a bit of a budget that you can spend? Would you prefer to have prepackaged meals, count calories/points, or modify what you are usually eating?

The same for exercise. Would you prefer videos? Do you like something slow and controlled like yoga or pilates? Something aerobic? Would you be willing to visit a gym? Do you prefer to do outdoor things like biking or hiking? Would you feel comfortable at an exercise class? Do you have any equipment?

I would recommend adding a ticker to your signature if you get a moment. They are a nice little tool that shows you your progress and I think they help to encourage you to work harder. Also, I recommend taking a few "before" pictures. It is not a fun task, but just think while you are taking them that it will be the last time you are ever at that weight.

Last edited by Nadia; 09-20-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #3  
I'm Big, God is Bigger!

S/C/G: 289/275/200

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the board! I don't post much, but I sure do come here often for support. I hope you find the same. I use a website that really helps me. http://thedailyplate.com
you can do alot on this site. You can count calories, find out how many calories you should consume a day if you want to lose so many lbs. a week. I love it! Hope to help and good luck with everything!
rachelfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #4  

Smile Thank You

Thank you all so much for replying. Well as for my preferences I eat pretty healthy already my biggest problem is snacking, and well Ice cream. This is my plan, please tell me what you think...My plan is to start weighing and calculating my calories and fat, and also start drinking more water. I drink way to much diet soda right now, and though it is calorie free its still not as good for me as water. Then for exercising I am t hinking about getting out and walking/jogging in the mornings before school, and then start going back to the gym and doing some weight training. What do you think? A big problem for me is motivation to workout, especially since I am busy like 24/7...and ideas for motivation? I do have to pass my PT test which should be motivation in itself, but I'm still have a tough time...Thank you again for your suggestions!!
Newlywed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

Hi and welcome! I'm a 24 year old student too!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #6  
Taking It Back

S/C/G: 199.8/189.2/134.2

Height: 5'6.2"

Amber, have you been to http://www.fitday.com ? They have a nice calorie tracker. The last time I was there it was free, but I am not sure if it still is. It is nice accountability if you do it like you are supposed to (by entering every single thing you eat), but can also be frustrating for the same reason.

My mini motivation is always music. If I am feeling bored or lazy or such, I put on some upbeat songs and they almost always turn my mood around enough to get me going.

You might want to check with your gym about a few sessions with a personal trainer. S/he can customize an exercise and diet plan for you to follow. Also, they usually will measure your fitness at the start and then again after a few months.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote