Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Start Early, Quit Early - Eating Schedule

I am starting this thread to provoke a discussion on the topic of when to eat during the day and how when we eat affects our weight loss efforts.

Did anyone see Bob Greene on Oprah when they discussed when to stop eating for the day? He and Oprah agreed that the single most important thing that a person can do to promote weight loss is to choose a time at night beyond which a person will not eat. I know that Bob Greene promotes this in his book The Best Life Diet, but for both Bob and Oprah to call it the single most important thing is telling.

Now, I have heard Oprah say that she does not eat part 7:30 pm.
Personally, I try to stop eating even earlier than that. There are some people I know who stop eating at 5:00 pm. I will admit that for some of us this early time is not possible.

It makes sense that the food we eat has to be either burned as fuel, stored as fat, or just plain eliminated. For our bodies to burn the calories we have to have activity. Most of us do not burn much in the way of calories as we sleep or else we wouldn't be trying so hard to lose weight. So it stands to reason that the earlier we eat in the day the better off we are. I have also read that we should start eating within the first hour of getting up so that we get our systems revved up. Hey, low fat yogurt is quick and easy to start off the day.

What do you think? Is anyone else trying to follow the early start, early end eating plan?

start LAWL 12/27/06
red plan until 4/16 - 20 lbs lost
gold until 7/27 - 38 lbs
plan 2 now - 46 lbs
total 46 lbs.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #2  
WonderWoman

Height: 5'5 and a half!

i don't really follow the cut off time rule at all when it comes to eating. i try to be conscious of when i'm having dinner but that's about it when it comes to times.
i do however, try to eat all my starches and fruit before 3 or 4pm. that way all i have for dinner is protein and veggies.
JLem311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #3  
Katy66

Height: 5'6"

I don't really follow the rule but have noticed when my schedule works that way I lose more. Guess I need to be more deligent about it.
Katy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #4  
DixieChick

S/C/G: 175/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Lynn: We can start a challenge and see if this works. I usually save my fruits for my evening snack and try to eat them about 7:30 to 8:00. I can see where not eating past 7:00 would be both beneficial, but also dangerous for us who have to have something to hold us over and if we have already eaten our allotments for the day...... Could possibly OVEREAT. But I'm up for trying it to see if it is beneficial.
aguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/171.8/150

Height: 5feet 4inches

I will try to stop eating at 8pm during the week cause I am in bed by 10pm... but on the weekends will stop eating at 10pm cause in bed around midnight. But I usually snack on low fat yoghurt (4 oz) with fruit, or if I know I am going out for coffee with girlfriend, I have a bisoctti (1fr + 1S)
Is that bad?
QueenLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #6  
Cathy

S/C/G: 222/198.4/142

Height: 5'1

I dont eat anything past 7 pm. I try to add everything by supper so that I only have my protein and veggies left for supper time.
Catway8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #7  
DixieChick

Ladies; I got everything in by 6:45 last night. Had to keep myself occupied so as not to nibble after that though. Good luck on trying this. We will see if it works.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

When I first started at LAWL I was eating an evening snack and was not losing that well. I took the evening snack off and don't eat anything after dinner and that is usually at about 7:30. I go to bed at 11:30 - 12 ish and my COD yelled at me for going so long without eating. I stuck to my guns and don't eat anything for 3 hours prior to bedtime and am losing better.

Seems to work for me.

Roberta
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #9  
Laurie

Height: 5'8"

I try not to eat anything after 7:30 and the last thing is usually my last lite for the day. My center told me to try to get my fruits and starches in before 3:00 and that way I am only having protein and veges for supper. Seems to work for me.
chiquita623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #10  
LAWL: Gold -> Blue Plan

S/C/G: S:158/G:139

i recently went to a registered dietician and she said it doesnt matter so much as to how late you eat, as much as it does WHAT youre eating.. she says they typically say dont eat late, because the average american is eating pizza, burgers, and other fattening food for dinner. but if we are eating lean proteins, veggies, fiber-filled starches, it doesnt matter how late we are eating them. i typically dont go to bed till around 1am, so i generally will eat a late dinner (8pm or so) and a snack around 10pm.
ooodsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #11  
DixieChick

This just goes to show every COD seems to have their own opinion on this. My COD had me to stop eating my lite for my last evening snack and also told me to stop eating my starch that late (8:00 p.m.). I guess it just depends on the person they are working with. I am going to try to not eat anything after 7:00 and see if I see any results.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:14 PM   #12  

I am trying to follow this advice because, I believe, that it makes sense for me. It may not make sense for everyone especially those who are working late into the evening or on a work/school schedule. I am an early bird person.
I also believe that we each have to pattern our weight loss to cater to what our body needs. Tweaking the plan - listening to our bodies by trying different things.
I also plan my eating so that by my dinner all I have left is my protein and my vegetables.
If you want to try this, make sure you have a back-up plan. I suggest having ff sf jello cups on hand since they are a freebie. Or hot tea is also good to fill you up.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:21 PM   #13  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

In the first few weeks that I started this plan, I had SF jello and FF coolwhip EVERY night while watching T.V. Well, that is back when I watched T.V. every night....and, those nights are comming back again I love watching T.V. at night. It seems like it is my only downtime. Anyway....SF jello was not a freebie yet at that time, but my COD told me that it was really the best choice to make for an evening snack, as it is almost calorie free and fat free. It really got me through some tough times. Maybe I ought to try that again. I really do much better when I get my exchanges in when I am most active. I am rarely bored, so that is usually not an issue
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:45 AM   #14  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

Lynn, I really wish I would make more of an effort to follow his advice. I have such a random school schedule that it makes it very difficult since I leave for school early and often don't get home until after 9pm. I try to pack a whole day's worth of food but usually leave a veg and a protein for when I get home. I think I could really benefit from consciously trying to find a cut off point. Sometimes my "extra" starches or fruits come in when I get home late and am hungry!!
I've heard the expression, "a calorie is a calorie no matter when you eat it" BUT with our highly structured diet, allowing our body to rest and digest may really be beneficial.
I think I may start by really remembering to eat all starches and proteins before 4pm and then working towards a "stop eating" time!

Thanks for the suggestion!
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #15  

Amylou,
I think with your long daily schedule it would be hard for you to follow this eating patten. If you do, I would recommend saving a half a dairy for a snack in the evening.