Old 09-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thumbs down Water - How Important Is It?

Water, how much do you drink? How important do you feel it is concerning weight loss?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...calculator.htm

Do other drinks such as diet soda's, Crystal Light, tea, coffee count as part of your daily water intake?

Your thoughts please!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Well, I think it's vital. I know when I don't drink enough, everything stalls. It's hard for me to remember when I didn't drink water through the day - and hard to imagine that I was that stupid! Since starting this journey, and upping my water intake (I drink 3-4 liters a day) I have not had a single bladder infection OR yeast infection - both of which were very common to me for the past fifteen years. Sorry if that is too much information!

That being said, I'm not good with just water - I live by Crystal Light. But I buy the singles and mix one per two liters, rather than per 500ml - it's just enough colour and flavour to fool me! LOL!!
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #3  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm trying my best to get water in as just plain water--but unless I'm physically thirsty (at which point, I'd be dehydrated anyway) or I'm working out, I have a hard time drinking it plain. I'm getting better at doing that, but it's a process.

Right now, I get about 50 oz of plain water a day (unless it's one of my high-intensity cardio days, and I usually get 100oz of plain water) and 50-100oz of water mixed with 42C (I think I'm getting that right...) "lemonade" mixture. They come in singles meant for 20oz bottles--but I use one per 50oz of water (1.5 liter bottle). They're sweetened with Splenda and list 0g of carbs. I always count it as one carb per package. The flavoring really helps me get enough water in. And yes, I do count that toward my water intake for the day.

Diet soda (not a staller for me, but I'm trying to wean myself off because I drink too much and drinking too much is expensive on a weekly basis for stuff I don't need!) doesn't count toward my water intake, nor does tea...
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #4  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Hi Kim!

I'm trying to drink about 4 to 5 bottles of water a day, each at 16.9 oz.
Think that's enough for me right now, since I'm not doing any type of exercise.
I love a cold glass or bottle of water!
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #5  

Well it's always been vital to me however as this cold weather sets in I'm finding it harder for myself to get it in. In the summer I feel like I can never get enough in. I never replace my water intake with diet soda crystal light etc although like WW says you can substitute 2 I think diet caffiene free drinks for water I think plain ol water is the best!
slimdownmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdownmomof2 View Post
I never replace my water intake with diet soda crystal light etc although like WW says you can substitute 2 I think diet caffiene free drinks for water I think plain ol water is the best!
AMEN!!! In my opinion WW "allows" a lot of things that seem questionable and I wholeheartedly agree...plain ol water is best!!

Some people are very sensitive to artificial sweeteners such as Aspartame and Splenda. You really need to read labels if you're going to partake in things like Crystal Light. Crystal Light is a confusing thing....the powdered kind you make yourself is sweetened with Aspartame and depending on what flavor you get, it can contain things like corn syrup solids & maltodextrin. And unless the tea's say they are decaffeinated, they do contain caffeine. The pre-made bottles of Crystal Light are made with Splenda. Be sure you read labels carefully.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 09-20-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #7  
On a De-fluffing Quest

S/C/G: 250/c sig/160

Height: 5'5"

I have a hard time drinking plain water and so instead I drink very diluted green tea or herb tea. I toss my cinnamon in this to get my cinnamon for the day. I like it so much it helps me to get in about 100oz or more per day.

My favorite teas:
Grape flavored Kombucha (although this has carbs so I just have a splash of it in my water in the am only)

Celestial Seasonings White tea w/apricot
Celestial Seasonings Roobios tea w/vanilla

I have a big 36 oz jar that I make one tea bag worth of tea in, and then I dilute it with cold water and add ice after it's brewed. Keeps it really simple for me. Sometimes I'll put a drop or two of stevia in, depending on the kind of tea. But alot of times, those fruity celestial seasonings teas don't need any sweetener for me.
MissyFluffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #8  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

My GP implied that water can mean the difference between Atkins being very good for you, to Atkins being harder on kidneys than it needs to be. I took that to heart: diabetics have kidney vulnerability anyway, no need to add to it.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Shellie,

I agree with your GP, water is essential for people doing Atkins, it flushes the system of ketones, which create added stress on the kidneys. Doing Atkins correctly requires drinking your water!

Old 09-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #10  
LC lifestyle

S/C/G: 252/230/150

Height: 5'2"

Fantatsic results and life style change. You are a real inspiration, thank you! I will be checking in if that is ok!
coolchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #11  
LC lifestyle

water is my challenge today. thanks for the insight.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #12  
LC lifestyle

I am sorry, but I am not sure about one thing. Why is cinnamon important?