Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #1  

Default Protein shakes...

Although I have NOT had WLS...I know you folks are the experts on Protein shakes? I am thinking of trying Body for Life Myoplex ones and wondering if they are safe because they contain Creatine? Any info. is greatly appreciated.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #2  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

Don't know about the Body for Life Myoplex but if you are trying to lose weight look for a 100% whey protein with low sat fat, low carb and low sugar. I currently use one that is 120 cal, 3g fat (1g sat fat), 3g carb w/1g sugar and 23g protein. I use a scoop in my oatmeal or cereal and will have a protein drink either before or after a workout. Hope this is helpful.
brn2bthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #3  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I second brn2bthn's recommendation. Creatine will make you retain water, which is probably not high on your list of goals. A lot of "muscle builder" protein powders have extra, and usually simple, carbs in them that you don't need unless you're trying to gain weight.

To narrow down the search a bit more, try Next Nutrition's Designer Whey. (No affiliation, just a happy consumer.) The chocolate flavor is 100 cals, 18 g. protein, 2 g. carb, 2 g. fat; the vanilla has 90 cals, 1 g. fat, 2 g. carb. and 18 g. protein. Also comes in strawberry and plain/unflavored, but I've never tried these flavors.

Designer Whey mixes well with plain water, warm or cold. I also like it mixed with nf yogurt as a dessert. Or, you can put it in protein "cookies," though these may be higher cal than your plan allows.

(In case anyone is interested, the protein cookies are just equal parts oatmeal "flour," made by grinding uncooked oats in a Cuisinart, protein powder, and some kind of nut butter. You can add fruit, spices, change out nut butters, substitute applesauce or banana for some of the nut butter, etc to your heart's content as long as you end up with a thick dough that sticks together when you roll it into balls or press it into cupcake papers. Store the cookies in the freezer; they take only a few minutes to thaw.)

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Kim do you have nutritionals on that?
Skinny4Baby I like SPirutien Shakes they have a great texture the sugars arent bad and they taste good!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/195.5/130

Height: 5'3" - On a tall day.

I like Worldwide Pure Protein shakes. The vanilla cream is my favorite flavor, but chocolate and strawberry are good, too. They are not something I would take often, as they have 160 calories, but they only have 1g total fat (.5 sat. fat), 2g total carb (1g sugar) and 35g protein.
10Again is offline   Reply With Quote