South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Roasted Tomato Hummus

Ok, I just love my hummus - I buy it all the time, and a cup of it will last me about 3 days (I eat celery and hummus for lunch all the time, or put it on a ww wrap YUMMY!!!), but it's getting to be pricey! I went through my budget for the last month, and I've spent close to $10 a week on the stuff!

I've tried making it from scratch at home, but it never turns out great. Does anyone have a good recipe? Also, I love the slight tomato flavor in the hummus I get at the store - but haven't been able to get that right either. I've tried tomato paste, and sun dried tomatoes. Maybe tomato olive oil? I just don't know.

I would love to make it at home, I could do it for a lot less than the $3.79/8oz that I spend on it now!

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #2  
it's always something

Sounds delicious! Where do you buy it? Is there an ingredient label?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #3  

I buy mine at Wegmans - it's a large local store. It's a store brand too

Ingredients are:
Chick Peas
Water
Tahini
Roasted Tomatoes
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
Roasted Garlic
Salt
Pesto (Basil, Olive Oil)
Garlic Puree
Citric Acid
Paprika
Black Pepper
White Vinegar
Old 09-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I make bean pastes (not just hummus) all of the time, and it takes a little practice to get it right. Personally, I rarely make hummus, because garbanzo beans are a little dry, so to make it taste like good store brands, I have to add too much oil or nut butter (my opinion, someone else may have a better recipe).

Canellini (white kidney) beans, butter beans, even pinto beans either alone, or paired with the garbanzo beans give a much better consistency, in my opinion. I've actually tried this with a variety of beans. I've even used vegetarian baked beans.

I just drain the beans (but only rinse the beans with thick sediment, like red kidney beans) and put them in the food processor with my seasonings. The combinations vary, so I don't really have an exact recipe. The basic recipe is something like

1 can of drained beans (any type, even chili or baked - but check calories),

1 - 2 tbs of liquid (either from the can, or added - this can be catsup, salad dressing (vinaigrette or cream style), broth, tomato juice, milk...

seasoning (small piece of onion, celery, green pepper, tomato, garlic powder, salt, pepper....)

some of the combos I've tried.

garbanzo beans (or garbanzo beans mixed with a moister bean), tbs oil and lemon juice (or a light vinaigrette dressing), fresh garlic

Baked beans, 1 tbs catsup, and 2 tbs minced onion (this was actually in a low fat recipe book. Sounded horrendous, tasted really good.)

cannelini or butter beans, 1 - 2 tbs of reduced fat italian dressing, 1 tbs minced celery, 1 tbs minced onion (for any of these recipes, instead of mincing a vegetable like onion or celery, you can just put in a small chunk of the veggie and process in the food processor with the beans)

pinto beans, chili powder or taco seasoning (no liquid - you get refried beans, add a little tomato juice or broth and you get bean dip).

pink beans (they looked like a very light kidney bean), light ranch dressing, and 1/2 tbs of ranch dressing powder, onion and green pepper

navy beans, 1 slice crumbled bacon (or 1 tbs bacon bits), 2 tbs light ranch or mayo
Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 200?/191.5?/125

Height: 5'3"

have you tried roasting your tomatoes in the oven first? that might do the trick

kudos to everyone who is making their own....i'd love to make my own, but am haven't found a store around here as of yet that carries tahini. till then, it's store bought.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I substitute peanut butter for tahini and add some sesame oil. Works fine but don't use too much PB or it tastes like a nut spread. 2T is enough.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:56 AM   #7  

When I roast the tomatoes in the oven, they are still watery. Thats why I though the sun dried tomatoes would work.

Ruth - I've tried the sesame oil - ICKY. I can't do it. I made a batch of hummus, and didn't have tahini, so I just used about 2 or 3 drops of the oil - had to throw out the entire batch. It had a burned flavor to it.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #8  

1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
3/4 cup bottled roasted red peppers (drained and patted dry)
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 to 4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

Rinse and drain 1 can of the chickpeas. Place drained chickpeas in a blender and add red peppers, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper and cumin. Process until smooth. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with parsley.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #9  

Default Got It

Your hummus sounded so tasty that I consulted my foodie buddy that plans my menus for me weekly. I knew she would have a recipe. She is quite sure the taste comes from sun dried tomatoes vs. roasted.

Here is the recipe. I might just have to try this tomorrow.. Sounds yum.

1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
4 sun dried tomatoes
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 to 4 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and ground black pepper

Soak sun dried tomatoes in boiling hot water for 1 hour. Place in blender with either some of the tomato water that you used to soak the tomatoes or a combination of tomato water and olive oil (start with maybe just 2 T). It should look like a loose paste but smooth, so add more water/oil if needed.

Rinse and drain 1 can of the chickpeas. Place drained chickpeas in the blender with the tomatoes, add tahini, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper and cumin. Process until smooth. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
Closed Thread