Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #1  

Question Use 35 extra points or not

Does anyone lose more or less when you use all the 35 extra points I'm trying to figure out want to do.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Every person is different! I would say that experimentation is good. If you use them all one week and gain or maintain, use less and see how it goes the next week
Old 09-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

I usually end up using about 24-28 of my 35 pts. Every week is a little different but if I'm on program, getting my Healthy 8 Guidelines in and getting some APs in, I can lose anywhere from 1.5 to 3 lbs a week
Old 09-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #4  
Starting over Spring 2011

Height: 5'10"

Hi, I am very interested in this, too. I feel I would be VERY hungry if I did not use all my points, and usually my activity points as well, but my loss has been very slow. I am also taking med that causes weight gain. But I think it would be too hard to cut down on points. Maybe it could be done in a small way?? I know everyone is different. There are people at my meeting that lose much faster than me and don't use any extra points, but I don't know how they do it. Good luck! I will be watching this post, also. (I am losing ---have lost 13 pounds in 15 weeks, so I guess what I am doing is working---just get frustrated with the rate of loss. )

Last edited by tkdkathy; 09-17-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #5  
Reluctant Adult

My own, personal approach to the bonus 35 points is to use them if I need them and not worry about them if I don't. I never count activity points. Like Rosegarden, I usually use up between 24-28 of the bonus points per week.

My weight loss is steady, 14 pounds in 8 weeks, and I'm sure I could increase that rate of loss by giving up the bonus points. However, since I'm in this for the long haul and need far more practice in becoming flexible with food and lifestyle changes, I've decided to accept the slower rate of loss and enjoy food -- including 35-point-bonus food -- more, as I need it.

Lori is right -- everyone is different, and you need to discover what works best for YOU! Best luck.

Rae
Old 09-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

If I use flex points (more than a few) I gain for the week. My body and metabolism do not react well to the extra points. The most I can use is usually right about 5, if that many.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Has anyone had any success with dividing the 35 points equally over the week?

I tend to use them more as a safety net or if I go out to eat. It's hard for me to use them with out thinking I'm off plan.

Today I used 9 because I had wayyyy too much/many corn flakes this morning. I knew I would still have to eat through out the day...

I guess I would feel better about the extra 35 if they were worked into the daily total rather than being optional.

I think it has to to do with the old school mentallity that it's better to eat less rather than more.

My question is does anyone use thier points every week, all thier points, with out fail and still lose?

This seems like such a dilemma for me. I can't imagine having 29 points a day! (22 plus 7 )...
Old 09-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #8  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Yes, YES, and YESSSS!

I had just answered this question on another thread the other day. So forgive the lazy, short on time me, but I am going to do a copy and paste.

Quote:
I eat em'. I love em'. I'm losin thru usin'! ( Flex pts. that is )

I'm the exact oposite of Magfish. Will not nibble, bite, or drink my activity points. To me, its counter productive. I'm not working out to get extra food. I'm working out to get a better body.

My daily and flex pts provide all that I need. I started this program with 24 pts a day, add the 35 weekly and I get 59 points total. Even with the occassional aka "naughty" or questionable choice I still fall within my limit consistantly week after week. It all averages out. Some weeks I am hungrier then others. Some I'm not. Toss in everyone's nemesis "TOM" week... and well. Never really had a problem with that week truth be told. Not after a little research. I found if ever there was a week to stick to the plan thats the week! Our bodies metabolism is kicked into high gear doing what it does internally. So I work with it avoiding pasta and chinese food like the plague. I work into my plan that fruity-licious cake or piece of chocolate and I up my water by a glass or two. After my body is done whooshing away the waste, I usually have a whoosh weight too. Another added bonus that I found for me was ( remember I've been doing this a year now. Lot's of time to figure out how I tick. ) That even if I felt like I blew it before TOM ( early stages of

I would like to mention too, that I havent dropped to the next level of points either. I don't feel the need. I'm still losing. Could I lose faster if I did? Probably. But I am happy here. I like my lifestyle. I like my weight loss as it is. I may lose two pounds a month now but what a month! It's not a race for me. It's learning to live this life with style! With all it's celebrations and heart breaking sorrows. The boring ho-hums, the daily do's, the infuriating little things, coupled with all the things that make us smile.

Krista Scott-Dixon at www.stumptuous.com said it best and I quote...

"You see, progress is not exactly a linear onward-and-upward thing. It's more like a thousand little tiny stops and starts. Even for the so-called experts, life intervenes with multiple pressures to fail.

It doesn't get any easier. You just get better at managing it, problem solving, and coming up with creative strategies to combat it. You get better at saying no to things that rob your of your energy and better at saying yes to the things that are truly valuable and essential.

There is no better time. There is no better life stage. All you have is now; all you have is you. These things that seem to impede you - you don't wait till they're done then start your life. They are your life."

I have 16 more pounds to maintainace. The proof is in the fat-free pudding.

Last edited by sweetnsassyfied; 09-25-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Wow! Thank you so much for indulging me, and not making me search for the answer. I always seem to use too few words when searching. You and I are about the same height and have the same goal. I used to weigh 220... I don't know what I weigh right now, but my clothes are between an 8 and a 10. I'm thinking of playing with my points, either allotting them equally through out the week or using more or less on certain days, if I plan on eating something a bit higher in points, like chicken tetrazinni or something... it's also if I can lose on more points, i.e. more food, why wouldn't I? Like you, I don't use my activity points... I used to use my ap's before I wouldd go into the extra 35, but what's the point? I work out to get activity points, but it's more so to have numerical, point proof that I worked out, i.e. 15 or more points a week, if that makes any sense.

Thank you so much for your reply...what kind of work outs do you do? I mainly walk, but do lift weights. My husband and I are going to get a treadmill for the winter time, too... I will run on a treadmill because it forces me to, while I rarely do so outside

Thanks again!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #10  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Forgive me for taking so long to reply. I've been so busy working, which as it happens, IS the only exercise I am getting right now. I'm a waitress, plus a Mom of 3. But I used to be, and hope to be, after I get into this house I have my heart on, a weight lifting enthusiast (again).

I've dabbled here and there this past year at varying types of exercises. Cardio stuffs mostly, but consistancy was not my forte. A few years back I lifted and loved what it did for me mentally and physically. For some unknown reason I couldnt get myself back into it. My want to's just didnt want to! Goodness the shape I could have right now.... No regrets I've had an amazing journey thus far.

Meanwhile I worked on my eating. It's taken me a year to get a grip on my eating. All those why's and whatfor's will kill a girl. Not to mention portion distortion and comfort foods... arrrrg. Truth be told I probably started closer to 220 myself but vanity wouldnt allow me to admit it. But now that I feel I have that area down pat. It is time....

To make a long babble short... This is going to be my transformation year. I am going to build me a better body. Stronger, leaner, more defined! My motto will be.... 43 this is for Me!
Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #11  
Cowboy Up Chick

While each person is different my leader suggests you start from day one/week one using all of them for at least 3-4 weeks. If at the end of that time you are not losing between .5-2 pounds a week average cut back on them by 7 a week and do that for at least 2 more weeks...again re-eval.

Some people truly cannot but most can and the more you eat and lose the more you usually end up with on maintenance.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 239.9/226.8/175

Height: 5'4"

What Kelly said makes sense, but I could be in trouble! I just started over this last Monday, it's Friday and I have only used 1 flex point. I really haven't been hungry, its more of I want than I need, so I haven't been using them. I'm a little worried now, Monday will tell more...
Old 10-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #13  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
My own, personal approach to the bonus 35 points is to use them if I need them and not worry about them if I don't. I never count activity points.
That's what i do. i used to count activity points but then I'd have 10 or more points at the end of the day.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #14  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

I hardly ever use extra points. I just don't want to rely on them. I'm only allowed 20 points a day but it usually works. If I go a little over I don't get upset because I don't use those extra points.
I also never count activity points, and I work out or walk a couple of times a week.
Closed Thread