Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

Default See...I told her so!

Well this was my third month on my 6 month diet plan that I have to do for my insurance.

As I have stated before I have been pulling out my hair because of the amount of food my NUT wanted me to eat. I did everything like she said for two months. For the first month I think I gained something like 2-3 pounds. Last month (that was my second month) I gained 6 or 7 pounds.

I told her again last month that I felt that this was way too much food. It averages out to be something like 1500 calories. I know I can not eat that many calories and plan on loosing anything. Finally last month she told me to try what I wanted to try for this month..........well today I went in and she was very, very pleased to see that I lost a whopping 11 pounds I was very happy!! All I did was cut out some of the breads that she expected me to eat. I left everything else the same.

I'll be doing it "my way" for the rest of this 6 month diet. I'm just glad that she finally listened to me.......
FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

Silly question, is NUT short for anything, and if so, what? lol
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

I believe it is short for Nutritionist.

But perhaps in this case, she was just "crazy".
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

congratulations! and now it's documented that you can't lose weight the way the rest of the world does!!!!

she truly IS a NUT!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #5  
Hockey Mom

S/C/G: 265

Height: 5'1"

Unchartered territory, post op nutrition is!!!!
drives me crazy
MeBigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Well Flour, looks like we are about the same time line. I started my 6 months on May 8, 2007. I so wish I could get the surgery over and done with! I have been lucky and not had to see a NUT. But, 1500 calories is what my doc put me on. I have done good so far and lost 23 lbs. But I have gotten out of grove and gained back 5 of them and am struggling to get back on track. Keep up the good work and look forward to getting to know you are we travel down this road together!
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks, jax! Lol, sounds like in this case, one and/or both responses from your reply can probably be totally accurate, lol. Even though bariatric surgery isn't exactly a brand-new thing, the medical community's understanding (as well as our own) is comparable to the level of "new" discoveries. Old recommendations and common practices are being rewritten because they are/can be counterproductive, dangerous, not well thought-out, unintelligent and down-right wasteful of our time and energy sometimes. The scary truth is, any kind of weight loss surgery is not thoroughly predictable. the same exact procedure can be performed on two seemingly-identical people and the results usually are as individualistic as each person's fingerprint, down to the side effects and complications. I am 2 years and 9 months post-op and am STILL losing weight. As far as I can tell, that's unheard of. I'm sure I'll hear of it somewhere soon, lol. But I digress. The point I wanted to make was that you have to find out what works best for you. I had far better results when I listened to my body and not always the nutritionists. I was told I taught them a thing or two, lol. One very important lesson I learned was to listen to my body. I still need a minimum of 120 grams of protein a day or I exhibit symptoms of malnutrition and I have to take B12 shots every month. I think it's a fair trade-off for losing 165 lbs! Hope everyone had a good weekend!
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote