Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #1  
redhead veggie

Default Can't eat enough for the points?

Yesterday I started counting points. At 203lbs, I should be eating 26 points (if I remember correctly from the chart I saw). I decided just to count what I normally eat (with a nutrition facts to ww points converter) and see where I am. It was a struggle to hit 23 points (I was done eating for the day at 19 points but then ate a can of ravioli)...

Could this be because I'm vegetarian? The food I eat doesn't have much fat in it to begin with and I eat a lot of fiber. It doesn't make sense that I would have to eat more to lose weight. I keep gaining anyway and I don't do anything!

By the way, I'm not a "paying" member, I found the information online. I'm a broke college student so I try to make use of my resources as best as possible.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If this is truly what you normally eat, then I would say that you need to do a little more tweaking. If your diet is normally low fat and high fiber, you may have to reduce your points further. For an average american diet, 1 point - roughly 50 calories, but for very high fiber, low fat foods, a point may be as much as 100 calories. This would make a huge difference, as your intake could be double the WW "average."

Calorie counting, or food exchanges might be a more precise way for you to "count" your food, or if you really like points, you may have to tweak your program until you find the point range that allows you to lose weight.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/**ticker**/150

Height: 5'4

You could try and add some healthy fats, such as avocado to help with the points. It also won't spike your blood sugar to make you hungry later.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #4  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised a can of ravioli is only 4 pts...I guess it depends on the kind. I found 99% fat free cheese ravioli on dietfacts.com and they give unofficial pts as 5, but for 1/2 a can! You really need to be careful when you're reading labels to make sure you're checking the serving size, some drinks and such are 2 and 1/2 servings per can or bottle. Nothing sucks like thinking you're under and finding out you're figuring wrong and you're over!

That's what makes the meeting worth it, you get more info. I understand about being poor though.

Please don't take offense, but eating what you normally eat got you to where you're at. You're going to need to make some changes. Speaking from experience, here Best of luck to you. There are alot of resources here.

Last edited by kelijpa; 09-11-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #5  

I think it is very smart of you to try take baseline information. Knowing what you usually do, is a great place to start from, and many people are too impatient or don't think to do this. Unfortunately, just the act of paying attention to what you eat, tends to affect what you eat, so you rarely can get a true baseline. All those little snacks and nibbles that are usually unconscious, and writing everthing down makes it conscious.

Also, even if your 23 point day is accurate (I also wonder about the can of raviolis unless it was one of those tiny microcans) and even if the 23 point day is fairly typical, you may have put on weight not from your typical days, but from atypical binge days. If you eat 1200 calories daily, but every week to ten days have have a 15,000 calorie binge day - well you see how that can work.

Giving the point system a try as written may be as good a starting point as any. The scale will tell you, at least over time (not necessarily after only 1 week), whether you're on the right track.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #6  
redhead veggie

I looked toward the points because I found calorie counting to be too cumbersome. I can remember that I have 13 points left right now, and it's ten in the evening!

Oh and I guess I wrote it wrong. The can was 7 points all together. Whoops. Sorry about that. It looks like I typed it in right in my log though.

And no, I didn't take offense to that - I think my problem was when I was hanging out with my best friend. We'd go through boxes of oreos in one night while playing video games and stuff.... bad decision dinosaur was following me everywhere. It doesn't help having to take lithium either. BUT I'm concerned about lowering my point intake- I don't want to put the body into starvation mode, but if I'm content at 23 points, is that okay?

Mmm I could do guacamole but I don't think an avacado would entice me much... Taco Night!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

Well eating at least the daily minimum points is essential. And right now minimum points are based on 5 factors and not a chart....age, weight, height, gender and daily physical (ie, job) activity play into the daily points.

If you are following the 8 Healthy Guidelines it is hard to fall under the daily minimum.

Not to be mean or rude but you didn't gain weight not eating enough calories a day.

BTW fiber plays a small portion and only truly reduced an item by less than a full point....

Dairy (which soy is included now) takes 4-6 points (6-8 if over 50 years old or over 250 pounds)
Healthy oils is another 2 minimum (I believe over 250 needs another point here if I remember correctly).

Here are some Points Pies that may help you

Balanced (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 6-9 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 6-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-3 points a day
Healthy Oils – 2 points a day
Milk and Milk Products – 4-6 points a day

Higher Protein (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 5-6 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 7-13 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-1 points a day

Higher Carb (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 6-10 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 5-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 1-3 points a day

-----

Balanced (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 11 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 10 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 3-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Protein (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 12 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 4-5 points a day

30-34 points a day

Higher Carb (over 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 13 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 8 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 2-4 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 3 points a day

30-34 points a day
Old 09-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Additonally if your daily points are 26 you need to eat at least 26...not 23.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #9  

Weight Watchers leaders do work with people who can't lose on the points allotted (it's rare, but it does happen). If you're following the healthy guidelines, and still not losing on the alotted points (and are being honest with yourself and not cheating), then they will make varying suggestions, including reducing your points. The point levels actually are not set in stone. In a couple of WW groups I belonged to their were a couple of people who could not lose on their allotted points and had to go lower. Although one lady was well into her 70's and the other had a thyroid condition.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #10  
Cowboy Up Chick

Colleen, that is not her issue though...she is saying she can't reach her minimum points because of what she eats.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #11  
.Best & Nothing Less.

S/C/G: 208/208/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchar42 View Post
Yesterday I started counting points. At 203lbs, I should be eating 26 points (if I remember correctly from the chart I saw). I decided just to count what I normally eat (with a nutrition facts to ww points converter) and see where I am. It was a struggle to hit 23 points (I was done eating for the day at 19 points but then ate a can of ravioli)...

Could this be because I'm vegetarian? The food I eat doesn't have much fat in it to begin with and I eat a lot of fiber. It doesn't make sense that I would have to eat more to lose weight. I keep gaining anyway and I don't do anything!

By the way, I'm not a "paying" member, I found the information online. I'm a broke college student so I try to make use of my resources as best as possible.
I just wanted to let you know, Im not paying for it either! haha.
Im a broke kid in general and I learned it all from a friends mom who went to the meetings. if there is any help you need go ahead and ask. maybe I can learn from you too!
where did you learn online?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #12  

I didn't explain my self well I guess. I know that not being able to get in the points is one issue, but also is the fact that superchar42 says that she just decided to try to see how many points she usually eats, and found it to be under her alottment. So:

1. If superchar42 really normally eats less than 26 points, as she states, then it is unlikely that just because she is following weight watchers, she will lose weight without changing any food choices or eating habits with the exception of eating more (at least not without increased exercise). So I was anticipating a problem, that had not yet been stated. You can feel like you're eating more on WW than "before" because of lower fat, higher fiber choices, but superchar says she hasn't changed her eating habits at all.

2. However, just counting your points, or keeping a food journal tends to affect what you eat, so just because it seems a typical day, doesn't mean it is.
3. Adding points is easy with high fat (but healthy) choices, like nuts and heart healthy oils.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #13  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I1. If superchar42 really normally eats less than 26 points, as she states, then it is unlikely that just because she is following weight watchers, she will lose weight without changing any food choices or eating habits with the exception of eating more (at least not without increased exercise).
NO if you continue to read she said she over ate on bags of Oreos so what she said in the original post is not entire accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchar42 View Post
....I think my problem was when I was hanging out with my best friend. We'd go through boxes of oreos in one night while playing video games and stuff.... bad decision dinosaur was following me everywhere.

Last edited by Kelly_S; 09-13-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #14  

I didn't catch that, but I guess it proves my point.

The journaled day isn't a typical day, so starting with the point system as written is a good plan. Finding ways to include good fats will solve the point issue, and if she doesn't lose weight on that, then she can consider dropping her points.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #15  
Cowboy Up Chick

(WINK) See I knew there was something...(total teasing voice) That is why gave her the POINTS PIES and some of the other info for the plan.....
Closed Thread