Old 09-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #1  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

Default New to counting calories

Hello. Im Daphne. Im going to be 30 in 2 weeks and I figured that it was about time that I did something about all this extra weight. I wasted my 20s being fat and unhappy and I dont want to waste my 30's. I have been on
3FC for a few months. I have been posting in a few other forums. I was doing WW and I only lost 15 pounds in 6 months (but part of that is my fault cause I didnt do what I was supposed to most of the time). I got tired of having to count points and all the other stuff. So I am going to try to count calories.
Can anyone gives me some pointers or words of wosdom that they find helpful.

Thanks
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/141/115ish

Height: 5'2"

A lot of calorie counting is trial and error, and learning over time how to budget your calorie intake. A few tips:

1) Don't start off too low. Eating only 1200 calories a day at first will most likely lead to a binge. Instead, start somewhere between 1500 and 1700, depending on how much you have to lose (I believe there's some better info listed about this in the FAQ thread).

2) Pay close attention to the portion sizes on labels. Often you'll find yourself glancing at a product, being wowed by how low in calories it is, only to realize that the portion size they've listed is obscenely low. NEVER skim over nutrition labels! Pay close attention to what's written.

3) Always make sure you eat a decent sized breakfast, or you'll be likely to binge in the evening. Of all my daily meals, breakfast is usually the highest in cals -- it gives me more energy, puts me in a better mood and I'm more likely to get more exercise.

4) You probably already know this, but never go below 1200 cals a day, unless supervised by a doctor. 1199-1000 is generally considered a borderline starvation diet, and lower than 1000 IS a starvation diet -- you'd be likely to end up making yourself ill and slowing down your metabolism, which would actually hinder weight loss.

5) Don't waste all of your calories on a few high-cal small items, and don't eat too many sugary treats. Eating a wide variety of healthy foods is much better than eating only a few high-cal foods. Veggies, certain soups, tuna, etc. are all great low-cal choices. As well, if your schedule allows it, eating smaller meals throughout the day instead of three big ones really helps to keep your metabolism up, and you'll never have to worry about feeling overly hungry. Even just reducing the size of your main meals and eating a couple of small snacks during the day helps a ton.

6) If you're having trouble keeping track of your cals, carrying a small notebook around to mark things down is really helpful.

7) Take a multivitamin every day. Getting your recommended daily food groups is hard enough as it is, let alone when you're limited to X calories a day.

8) Along with limiting calories, it's also good to throw in some exercise. The more you work out, the more you can eat during the day, the faster your metabolism goes.

9) Most of all, don't be too upset with yourself if you go a little bit over your limit. 50 extra calories isn't going to do much to hinder your weightloss, and it's near impossible to eat exactly the amount of calories you've planned for the day.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope I didn't come off as condescending or rude... Good luck with your diet -- you can do this.

Last edited by curseofcurves; 09-10-2007 at 10:28 PM.
curseofcurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Great list!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:44 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Daphne. I'm glad to see you here. Cutting back my portions, eating only healthy foods just didn't work for me. I needed the accountability of actually counting or at least estimating my calories. It's my version of portion contol. It makes me aware of what's going into my mouth.

I'll surely agree that that is a great list.

I would add there are some sites to help you track your calories. Like Fitday.com. I also love nutritiondata.com. It doesn't keep tabs of your calories, but it will tell you calorie counts and other interesting info. I really suggest you look into Fitday.

I try to get the most volume and nutrition from my calorie allotment. So I choose food high in fiber and protein and other nutrients. Fiber and protein are very filling and weight loss powerhouses.

Calorie counting may seem a slight burden at first, but you will eventually get the hang of it and then it won't seem like so much work. But do keep in mind, even if it does seem a little tedious at first, and it may not at all to you, you may love it off the bat, that it IS worth it and that losing weight does require some work and effort. But when you start dropping those pounds, you will surely see that that hard work and effort does indeed payoff - BIGTIME. Good luck to you!!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #5  
Highest Weight ever, 225

S/C/G: 225/185/160

Height: 5'8"

Once you get used to calorie counting its really great! Just know that after a week or two you might get frustrated at needing to write everything down, and having a hard time measuring and finding nutrition facts. Push past it, get a scale (love my digital one!) and know that there are a lot!!!! of success stories here for calorie counters. Plus if you read anything from a pro trainer they will say count calories, that is most important, exercise is second to that.

Also what has helped my lots is to figure out snacks and meals ahead of time that have the right balance of calories, protein, and fiber! I gotta go but later I will show you an example of what I mean.
edzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #6  
doinTHEbestIcan

Height: 5'4"

Curseofcurves - great list and very, very helpful!!! Thanx!!!
mrsgeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote