Old 09-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #1  
Living the Laguna life...

Default "How to Be a Skinny B*tch"

Has anyone read this book? I just started and I was wondering what people thought about it...the language is definitely rough, but I think it's hysterical and a GREAT wakeup call. I am mainly a calorie counter, and find myself often feeling sick/bloated/yucky from eating certain foods even though I am staying under my calories count. This book has really taught me more that it's what you eat that matters...at this point, I am struggling with losing those last ten or fifteen pounds, and I really need some motivation/help with figuring what I need to do...I don't really have any more calories to cut or exercise to do! Anyway, just wanted to know what the rest of you thought

Michelle
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #2  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I started reading it but never finished. I thought it was funny at first but it just got tiring and a little anoying, and it honestly wasn't anything new, a little redundant. I stopped after she started talking about animal slaughter...
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisher View Post
I started reading it but never finished. I thought it was funny at first but it just got tiring and a little anoying, and it honestly wasn't anything new, a little redundant. I stopped after she started talking about animal slaughter...
I feel the same way about her book. I also didn't like the title (who wants to be a "skinny Bit@h"? Not me, or anyone I know and like!).

I am curious, why did you stop reading only when she started talking about animal slaughter? It is a vegan diet book.

Last edited by SoulBliss; 09-07-2007 at 09:19 PM.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #4  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I was a little offended at all the gory details. Not because I've never been exposed to that, in fact I grew up on a farm and we ate all our own chicken, pork and beef, I've watched the animals killed and helped cut and clean. But I didn't need to read about it the way that she put it, and I felt like I was being told what a horrible person I was for eating meat throughout the whole chapter (yes for eating eggs and drinking milk too). I felt lectured and chastised and all that from a person (author) that was up on her high horse looking down among the little people being a royal b@tch, as her title implies.

Having said that it wasn't just that chapter that made me stop reading the book, I had already stopped reading and started skimming before the slaughter chapter even showed up. I just didn't like the book much and that part was the icing on the cake. But I was bored and desperately needed something to read *sigh*
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #5  
I restore Teeth.

Have you seen the SKINNY B*TCH in the KITCH recipe book? It looks kinda funny, but i won't buy it because I wouldnt care much for other peoples tastes/...
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #6  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisher View Post
But I didn't need to read about it the way that she put it, and I felt like I was being told what a horrible person I was for eating meat throughout the whole chapter (yes for eating eggs and drinking milk too). I felt lectured and chastised and all that from a person (author) that was up on her high horse looking down among the little people being a royal b@tch, as her title implies.
You're right on this. I've read a lot of books where vegans acts all self-righteous. The truth is, domesticated animals were domesticated soley for the fulfilling the purpose of the human gastronomy. Its not like the rest of us believe in animal cruelty, but we grew up on humble means and were fed meat whenever we could have it. I totally agree with you.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #7  
starting over again

I read it too. It has some valid points....eat fruits & veggies, don't eat processed food...all the stuff we already know. I did find all the meat eater bashing too overbearing also.... and I am a vegetarian. Veggies who go around with a holier than thou attitude give the rest of us veggies a bad name.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Hi Michelle

I haven't read it, only excerpts. The consensus seems to be that it's a pro-vegan eating book and isn't about diet, but more of a commentary. I'll probably pick it up when I get the chance. More entertainment than anything, I think.

I know lots of vegetarians and vegans and the only time they get the hollier-than-thou attitude is when they all get together (say, at a Vegetarian Club of Houston Dinner)
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I just read an article about this book and some of the amazon reviews. It is a vegan diet book, but it's not marketed that way. It's not called "Skinny Vegan", so you get some omnivores turning the pages and it can be kind of a shock, especially when you may not feel the best about yourself and your weight loss journey anyway...

I do agree that this is more of a treatise on veganism than it is a book of practical diet and health advice.

I noticed from what I read that there are contradictions as well, where the reader is told to go natural and organic and stay away from supplements because of thier unverified content, but then says that we should take supplements to make up for any dietary short comings...

I may read it at the library, or page through it at barnes and noble, but I don't think it's that much of an assett to the dietary/weight loss library.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #10  
Living the Laguna life...

LOL Jen, and HI!!! How are you???

I agree about the animal slaughter part - totally skipped it. I eat red meat, dairy, etc., but I definitely think way more now about where my meat is coming from before I eat it. If I have the choice, I go for veggies (regular or organic) over standard, mass-produced meat. After reading a lot about it (this book isn't the first), it kind of sickens me to buy meat at most grocery stores now.
I am definitely a proponent of everything in moderation, but love the point these girls make about the USDA, FDA, and everyone else who is supposed to be "looking out for us."
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #11  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss michelle View Post
After reading a lot about it (this book isn't the first), it kind of sickens me to buy meat at most grocery stores now.
I am definitely a proponent of everything in moderation, but love the point these girls make about the USDA, FDA, and everyone else who is supposed to be "looking out for us."
If that's the one good thing *anyone* takes away from this book, than it's almost worth how awful the rest of the book can be at times!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #12  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
If that's the one good thing *anyone* takes away from this book, than it's almost worth how awful the rest of the book can be at times!
There's a sentence from Fast Food nation that's burned in my head. It's simple, to the point, and needs no explanation. It actually rolls through my head everytime I drive by a McDonalds.

"There's s*** in the meat".
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
There's a sentence from Fast Food nation that's burned in my head. It's simple, to the point, and needs no explanation. It actually rolls through my head everytime I drive by a McDonalds.

"There's s*** in the meat".
I KNOW what you mean! I have seen virtually every environmental, Animal Rights and Welfare and health related films there are in relation to a plant-based diet and lifestyle, read no less than 20 books on these subjects, attended talks and seminars (you get the picture ), so I have a lot of information (and sound bytes) that play through my head too!