Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Default Ladies...tell me what I'm doing wrong!

Hello all,

I've been on this site for quite some time, but this is my first time posting. I'm hoping all of you in your infinite wisdom can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong

Basically, for the past 5 weeks I have been tracking calories with The Daily Plate. First TDP suggested I eat 1,050 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week; I tried that for 2 weeks and did lose a few pounds, but I'm pretty sure it was all water, as one "free day" sent the scale right back to 140.

I decided to up my calories to see if that would help, and set my weight loss goal lower. Since that time, about 3 weeks, I've been eating 1300-1450 calories a day. I've also been walking at least 30 minutes a day, usually 45-60 minutes a day. I know TDP really overestimates calories burned, so I enter half the exercise time to get a more accurate calculation.

Still, I was not losing ANY weight. I tried upping my protein intake at the suggestion of a friend about 8 days ago...no effect.

What am I doing wrong? I know people will say portion sizes first, but I religiously measure everything and count calories. I even pre-pack snacks to work in ziplock bags to control portions. I've also been careful to eat more fiber, drink 10 glasses of water a day, etc.

I know 15lbs isn't that much to lose and I am not expecting to lose some huge amount of weight each week, but just steady consistent progress would be nice. Help! Any ideas?
atlgirl009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #2  
Getting Better Every Day!

Location: Ireland - The green green grass and the grey grey skies

Height: 5ft 11"

i would say keep at it... my weight hasnt shifted in ages but just keep at it...
ih8diets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #3  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

You're taller than average, so this weight might be where your body is comfortable. That is, you might be able to lose some more weight from here but it'll be a battle. Do you want to work that hard? It'll most likely mean really clean food and a lot of exercise. Do you want to live your life that way?

What size do you wear? I'd say address the exercise and change your body that way, rather than chasing a number on a scale.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #4  

Right now I'm a size 8, but I am small boned so I would feel better losing a bit of weight. Previously my body was always sort of "set" around 125. If I were 140lbs and really fit and muscular I wouldn't care; or if my measurements were going down!

Basically, that's part of the reason I'm keeping such good track of what I eat. I am trying to lose body fat and increase my physical fitness level...despite being a size 8, I can barely stay on the elliptical machine for 5 minutes. That's just, well...sad.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Hi there! Our stats are quite similar and I'll tell you, it took me about five months to lose five pounds, no joking. That's okay for me, since I've made a lifestyle change wherein I now exercise and don't eat the huge quantities the rest of my ethnic family does! I eat anywhere from 1250-1400 calories per day and run about 2.5 miles per day, plus I weight train. I really only see the scale budge when I'm quite fastidious about staying on the low end of my caloric intake - which isn't a huge revelation, of course, but I believe that given our current height and weight, you and I simply won't experience pounds dropping off like some others on this site. This was actually a difficult concept for me to grasp, as I am very analytical and I am aware of the mathematics involved behind losing weight (i.e., create a deficit of 500 calories per day through either diet or exercise or a combination of both to lose 1 pound per week). It simply hasn't happened that way for me. Additionally, if you're not already, start a weight-training regime. I lost fat and gained muscle by doing so, making me leaner, and it will aid you in burning stubborn calories even while at rest. Also, I think you really need to kick some butt when walking -- I mean, hustle like crazy! If you're not sweating and feeling the burn and all that, step it up a notch or two. Essentially, you might have to work even harder to melt away the pounds, but it CAN be done! Keep up the good work!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

What they all said!

Your BMI is already in the normal range, so that will make it harder for you to lose weight.

Your calories-eaten range looks OK. I'd say, increase your exercise. By that I mean, in addition to walking every day, do some sort of aerobic workout (videos, machines, etc) 4-5 days a week, and perhaps some light weight training 3 times a week.

Keep strictly to your calorie range. Don't go below 1200 calories per day for an extended period of time.

You can do it! You just have to make a few adjustments!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

It took me almost 9 months to go from 140 to 127. I am also 5'7". I found it very difficult to lose weight the closer I got to my goal weight.

I would suggest increasing the intensity of your workouts, walking is GREAT but it really doesn't get the heart rate up like more intensive aerobic activity. I couldn't do 5 minutes to start on the elliptical either, but you will build endurance. Working out is great for losing weight, but also great for your cardio vascular health!! Strength training is also a fabulous option, build some muscle (which means, eating enough to build muscle)!

Last edited by Glory87; 09-05-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #8  

Wow it is very encouraging to know it's not just me... I'll incorporate more strength training (and maybe the evil elliptical as well, just to prove to myself I can), or some running with the walking.

Thank y'all so much, very helpful! It's nice to hear it from people who've been succeeding at losing that stubborn fat.