South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #1  

Question Phase 1 **** - South Beach Diet

Hello, I just started the South Beach Diet and I am in Phase 1 ****. I can feel myself getting evil and this is only the second day. I don't care home much celery I eat, I want a muffin. Also I have so many questions. If anyone can give me advice I would appreciate it.
2 days down - 10 to go!

Sheila
Old 09-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #2  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Just my opinion, but if you are describing the plan you're on as "****" maybe it's not the right plan for you? Maybe you want to try calorie counting, a whole foods diet, intuitive eating, etc. The list goes on. There are plenty of plans that could include muffins if that would make your life happier. They could even be low-fat sugar free whole wheat muffins. There are ways to incorporate good nutrition, weight loss, and keeping your sanity. You just have to experiment to find out what works for you.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I agree. On the other hand, it could mean that you have major carb cravings. What was it that motivated you to try this plan?
Post your questions and we'll see if we can help.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

First, I'd try to stick it out if you can. Of course you're going to feel urges to eat carbs, but they will lessen as you stick with it.

If you really just can't hack it, then shananigans has a point--it may not be the plan for you. There are many approaches that can work. Just be sure you don't give up too soon on any of them.

(Off topic: shananigans, I find myself wondering why anyone would want to eat a low fat sugar free whole wheat muffin... Maybe use it as a doorstop... Oh, OK, I know it's healthy and program-correct... but I'd just as soon skip the muffin entirely! And I do. They are not on my food list.)

Jay
Old 09-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Sheila,

Phase 1 can be tough....some compare it to having the flu. If you were like me, I had a serious sugar addiction. My body went through major withdrawal, but it only lasted about 3-4 days. After that, I felt like a million bucks!....so much energy, my brain wasnt foggy anymore, my depression lifted, I slept better. Please hang in there. It does get much much better.

Are you eating enough? Celery doesn't give you much "bang for your buck" unless you top it with some natural peanut butter or lite Laughing Cow Cheese. Are you eating protein with every meal? Are you eating a lot of veggies? Please remember, on this plan you don't have to be hungry to lose weight. Hunger does not equal success.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I turned into a screaming hellion for a little bit around day 2-4, after the tiredness and headaches went away. My dh was offering to go to the store and buy me some chocolate because he didn't like what I was becoming. Which caused me to scream and yell more because he didn't understand. But...it passes and soon I had so much energy it was amazing.

Sarah
Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #7  

You might post your menu here. Often if you are not eating enough dairy and beans you will feel bad.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #8  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

You know the first part of it is supposed to be a bit rough because its a detox... but if you get to phase II you actually could have muffins.

It might not be "In the book" but my diet is really close to South Beach and those vitamuffins are really high and fiber and only 100 calories. I wasn't thrilled with most of the flavors but the chocolate ones taste a lot like cupcakes. The high fiber seems to balance out any other negitive carb/sugar effects. I have 2 dozen in my freezer, and I've been able to only have one per day and I have a major sweet tooth.

I'd give it time the first few days are hard, but getting through them is what helps your cravings go away. This being said you don't HAVE to do the detox it just makes your life easier. I didn't do any low-carb detox on my program but again I'm not "by the book" either.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #9  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
(Off topic: shananigans, I find myself wondering why anyone would want to eat a low fat sugar free whole wheat muffin... Maybe use it as a doorstop...)

Jay
You only feel that way because you've never had my banana nut muffins.

I've never gone through sugar withdrawal, but the flu-like thing others are describing sounds a lot like the 2 weeks after I quit smoking. I'd say it's a good idea to try out any plan for at least 2 weeks to a month before assessing how it's working out, otherwise it can be hard to tell.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #10  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Sheila...if you are living on celery...forget it!! EAT, girl, EAT!!!..
Lots of protein, lots of vegs, lots of water...and eat beans!!! They will fill you up and give you energy. Don't let yourself get hungry at all.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #11  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Most of the weight lost in phase 1 is water weight. Beyond that, its effects are largely psychological. This is not to downplay these effects, but merely to suggest that it is possible to lose weight and be healthy if you go directly to phase 2.

The cynic in me thinks that SB makes such a big deal out of phase 1 because phase 2 is virtually indistinguishable from many other diet plans, and hence not a money maker / book seller. Then again, I'm skeptical of the value added of any named or branded diet plan.

Kim
Old 09-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #12  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
Most of the weight lost in phase 1 is water weight. Beyond that, its effects are largely psychological. This is not to downplay these effects, but merely to suggest that it is possible to lose weight and be healthy if you go directly to phase 2.

The cynic in me thinks that SB makes such a big deal out of phase 1 because phase 2 is virtually indistinguishable from many other diet plans, and hence not a money maker / book seller. Then again, I'm skeptical of the value added of any named or branded diet plan.

Kim
I'm going to be nice and not say what I really want to say. Let me just reassure you that breaking the sugar/starch addiction is very much a physical battle. I encourage you to read "You on a Diet" which does a very good job of explaining sugar addiction and the physical impact as well as the psychological impact. I lost 12 pounds in the first two weeks on Southbeach......along with 3 inches off my waist and two inches off my hips. Water? Hmmm...I don't think so!

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 09-04-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

Shelia what you are feeling is "normal" and will go away if you follow the plan. Eat darlin. What is it you are missing? The carbs, the sweets? SF Fudge bars were a life saver to me! The peanut butter cup is still a staple in my food plan!

I believe p1 is necessary to help remove those cravings (this coming from a mac & cheese lover!) You say you have questions, ask away, you've come to the right place for both questions and support. We are here for you!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Sheila, I know exactly how your feeling...

Days 2 and 3 were horrible for me... Thankfully, I had read enough posts from people who had gone through it that I wasn't surprised and I knew it was a short term issue. By Day 4, I was no longer in ****... By the end of the first week, I felt pretty good. By the end of Phase 1, I felt better than I had in years!

If you can stick with it, I really think you'll be glad you did.

You can do it.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #15  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Also off topic but...

Quote:
You only feel that way because you've never had my banana nut muffins
how about sharing that recipe? If it's already here, can you just direct me?

Thanks.

and, since this is off topic, PM me if you want.
Closed Thread