Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 07:10 AM   #1  
Running Babe

Default Thursday, we're getting close to the Weekend!

Hi All,

Okay all, I have a confession. I gained Yup. I noticed my once loose tight jeans were feeling awfully tight and that I was looking flabbier. I have been eating badly since my 24th birthday and now the middle digit of my weight is a 5 (I know this is all relative, but I looked fab between 142-144). Part of the problem was my weight got too low. 140 was too low for me, I honestly was starting to look gaunt. My goal for now is to get back to the gym, journal regularly and to get to 145 by my february break.

So for now, I am going to try and drink more water (keeping a bottle with me wherever I go) and reflect on my weight-loss. Trust me, I was pigging out and deserve the gain. I also have been reflecting on the good habits that I got into last year that I had let slide, like if I go to a restaurant if I want dessert, eat a low-fat main course. I was also taking too much bread and such as well, which certainly doesn't help. Another terrible habit I got into was if I started off with a bad food day, I would keep it a bad food day and have a chocolate bar (or two) and lots of other unhealthy treats.

Now, sorry to sound so negative and all, but on the upside, I am glad I caught myself now and not with another 10 or so pounds on me. I still fit all my small tops and even though my jeans are tight I can still get them on. This experience has taught me, that I will ALWAYS have to be careful what I eat and not to let being stressed get to me.

Take care!

Ali
Old 01-03-2002, 08:45 AM   #2  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Ali,

You're right... it's great that you're catching yourself now and not 10-15 pounds from now. Think about it - people who have never had weight problems still have the same problem with tight pants after the holidays. It's one of those things.

And it's only been 2 days since the new year - so the holidays have just ended. You're an enormous inspiration to us all, and I'm sure it's no fun to start gaining - you'll get it off in no time.

I'm nervous about getting 20 pounds off by May. I hope I can. I was on such a roll, and I've been maintaining for a while now it seems. Not a true plateau, because my habits are what's causing the maintainance. My roommate and I are both working on 20 pounds by May 1st and so we're kind of making a game of it.

I'm also having a hard time with the 20-25 points range. I was at 22-27 for so long and those 2 points seem to make such a huge difference. I know they don't but I feel like it.

New years day I began being back on track, but I've been so hungry the last 2-3 days. I'm the type of person who likes to not snack so that my meals can be more hearty - but I'm finding myself hungry around 10am and then again around 3-4pm even though I'm eating breakfast and lunch. Any tips?

Thanks ladies and have a great day.

Lisa
Old 01-03-2002, 09:01 AM   #3  
Running Babe

Lisa: I am also realizing that I am much better at "meal" eating then snack eating as well... I am trying to fill my brekkie up with lots of protien. I think in general its very good to do that and maybe be lighter on the carbs (today for example, I had a 1 point yogurt, 1 egg beater omellett with 1 slice of fat free processed cheese and 2 slices of WW bread, it keeps me full until lunch).
Thanks for the support. 20 lbs is a realistic goal, but maybe you should break down your goal a bit. 20lbs is a big task, so maybe break it down to 5 lbs by groundhog's day etc... Too bad you didn't come to Montreal, I hardly got to spend any time there myself this xmas time

Take Care!

Ali
Old 01-03-2002, 09:50 AM   #4  

Angry

Good morning!!

Ali ~ I can totally relate to the gain. I got to lifetime and my personal goal last April, 132. I found that many of my family members told me I looked too thin (I am 5' 7"). I noticed it too, and it was really hard for me to maintain the 132. So, I increased my personal goal to 135-137, and it was much easier to maintain, and I looked better. Now, I am 12 pounds heavier, because maintainence is a tough thing, and trying to lose the weight again. It is amazing how fast it creeps back on. It is good to catch it early. Even my WW leader said I was lucky to catch it at 15 pounds up, then some that wait even longer. So, I am back at losing weight again. Maintainence is the toughest part I believe. You can do it though!!!! Take each day at a time!!!

Lisa ~ I am like you, not a snacker, and would rather eat good meals instead. But, what I have found while tracking points is, I would start getting hungry mid-morning and middle afternoon. I used to blow it off thinking "I am not wasting points on snacks when what I really want to use the points on is my meals", it backfired for me, I would be so famished by dinnertime, that I would over eat, and go over in points. So, what I started doing is taking snacks with me. Like carrots, pretzels, FF pringles, kashi, apples and such and eating something small to tied me over, I found then, I wasn't super hungry when mealtimes came. Good luck, I am sure you will lose the weight in no time.

Well, I had WI last night of missing two weeks and eating terribly for the last week and a half, and I gained 2 pounds. I really thought it would be a lot more, so I will take the hit and move on. I am refocused and doing fine again. I journaled yesterday, drank my 70 oz. of water and walked on my treadmill last night. I feel so much better.

Work is still really quiet. Only myself and a guy a work with are the only ones in the office today. So, I think production for my will be minimal. I have lots of projects to work on, but need others to complete them, so I guess I will wait til next week to begin them.

Well, better get some other things done. TTYL!!!!
Old 01-03-2002, 10:15 AM   #5  
Semi-Newbie Member

HIya!

Ali -- Boy can I relate! I lost 30lbs in 4 months early last year, but when summer rolled around I stopped paying close attention. I have since gained back almost 15lbs (most from these holidays!). We are lucky that we caught it in time. I can't imagine gaining ALL that weight back, and then having to lose it all over again. We are learning as we go. This summer taught me how to maintain. Thanksgiving taught me how to be reasonable over a holiday (I lost 1.5lbs that week! and did SUPER!). Christmas and New Year's taught me I can't eat like that anymore if I want to be healthy and thin. I can't eat like my stick figure brother and not gain. I just can't. And I learned that. I needed to see it for myself. But now we are moving forward!!!! I'm sure you'll get back to where you want to before ya know it!!!

Lisa (tilley) -- Don't fret about the 20lbs. But I do agree with Ali, maybe a smaller goal to begin with, if you're that worried. I know when I started WW last year my first goal was 30lbs by 4/20/01, I did it...and even early! When I made a short term goal (10lbs by my birthday), I couldn't keep focus. So, I think it depends on the person. Long term goals seem to work better for me...but other people are different. My goal this year is to lose 10% (19lbs) by 4/20/02. I KNOW I can do this!!!! And I know you can too!!! Keep the faith

Tonya -- So sorry about the weight gain, but you really seem to have the right attitude. I know when I jumped on the scales yesterday I was expecting LOTS more...I was relieved to see it was less, but still disappointed in the gain. But we are back on track now!!

I feel I did really well yesterday with WW and the smoking. I had one smoke ALL day (this is someone who smoked 1 pack/day!). Today I'm not going to have any! I could've done without the one yesterday, but Jeremy talked me into it

I too am finding myself really hungry when I get home. I am like most of you...who likes to save points for the actual meal rather than snacks, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to start snacking in between lunch and dinner to hold me over. Carrots and ff pretzels are a GREAT idea!!

Well hope you all have a GREAT day!!!!!
Old 01-03-2002, 10:21 AM   #6  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Ali, thanks for the advice. I will break it down. It does seem a bit large of a goal and seems overwhelming. Your breakfast sounds EXACTLY like mine. I had 2 slices of bread (1 point for both) and egg beater omlette (with onions, green peppers and like a tbsp of lowfat sargento cheese). Yesterday I had the omlette and yogurt instead of the toast. I think you're right though, protein really seems to help. You'll have to let me know when the best time to see Montreal is. We decided we would definately make the trip since we missed New Years. I'd love to go during hockey season because I LOVE hockey.

TonyaLyn - thanks for the snack ideas. i usually think that it's a waste of points that I could use at mealtime, but you're right... it's not doing the trick. What I hate though, is when I'm hungry - carrots or cucumbers (my favorite) never seem to do the trick. I think apples might though. Maybe some pirates booty. BTW - those 2 pounds will come off in no time. And I'll be happy if I only gained 2 pounds. The average person gains 8-10 between Thanksgiving and New Years, so... The scale at the gym said i gained a pound, but it's not very reliable, and I seem to feel a bit heavier. I'm guessing 2-4 pounds. We'll see on Tuesday I guess.

Okay ladies - take care and really - thanks for the pep talk. I'm feeling better already!

Lisa
Old 01-03-2002, 10:24 AM   #7  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Mandie - we must have posted at the same time. Thanks for the advice. Looks like you're doing awesome. I read you love scrapbooking. Me too. I'm addicted. It helps to do that while I watch TV because it keeps my hands busy and out of the cookie jar!

Lisa
Old 01-03-2002, 10:51 AM   #8  
Fed Up With Fat!!

Default Good Morning!

Quickie since I'm still busy with year end wrap ups...
Ali: Good for you for realizing early! When I lost my weight a couple of years ago, I'd tell myself, oh, it'll just take me a few weeks to lose these 5 pounds, then 5 became 20, then 20 became 60!! When I started WW I was back where I began!
My problem is snacking, but with me, it's out of sight, out of mind.
If I don't see it, then I don't want it! So, I try to stay out of the kitchen.
Jen: To answer you're questions, I use e-tools. I haven't experienced WW online. Has anyone else?
Hi to everyone! Sorry I can't post properly...maybe when boss goes to lunch.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:02 PM   #9  
Running Babe

In general, I know I look "good" between 142-158, but due to the modesty and fitness aspects, I prefer to be near the lower end of that (plus most of my clothes fit me better down near 145 or so ).

I wish I was an intuative eater, but b*tching about it won't do anything will it. I have to learn (or at least fake it). I will be buying a scale which sounds bad, but in the book "Thin For Life" it is recommended for "maintainers" to have one, to keep their weight on track.

Also, got my blood pressure taken and my systolic is up, though my diastolic is down (136/76). That's another reason to keep my healthy lifestyle. I don't want a stroke (people in my family have HUGE problems with BP regardless of weight, but weight exacerbates the situation often).

Stacey: yeah, I am glad too... This weigh loss thing is really hard and so is maintance. I wish there were more support for maintainers at WW (sure I like the free meetings and all ), I know the meetings are geared at people losing weight more, I wish maybe they could have a monthly maintainers and lifetimers meeting or something. I think it would help a lot of us.

Tilley: hmmmm May is great, but the hockey season is over then (well the regular season). April is really good, though we are prone to snowstorms then. Summers are amazing though!!

Mandie: yeah last year I lost weight over xmas and thanksgiving, but I think I was way too strict with myself. This year I went overboard, I guess I'll have to get a new strategy next year. The thing was for a while, I was eating 30-31 points a day and still losing.... that was weird. For now, I have gone down to the 20-25 range to help me lose those holiday pounds. Still, you're still down a lot and congrats for not gaining on the holidays! You have the right attitude.

Tonya: yeah, though I am shorter than you (by an inch), for some reason I weigh a lot (when I am in prime shape I am a size 5 in most places), so yeah, my mom was starting to get a little worried about my size and stuff.. you could start to see the ripples on my sternum and stuff and my ribs were really showing (they still do now). Now, is the time to determine which weight I can really live with for life (in the book Thin for Life this apparently can take a few years).

Oh looks like my student job is all on and stuff, so I am happy about that!!! So I get some extra money which will be nice on top of my retail job heheheh!!

Take Care!

Ali
Old 01-03-2002, 01:18 PM   #10  
A Yankee in Virginia

Ahhh ... this day seems out-of-control. We had snow this morning, and the state of Virginia has lost its mind. This area doesn't deal with snow very well. People sliding off the roads everywhere, and in Roanoke, we only got a DUSTING. Not even half an inch.

Eating wise ... still can't seem to get that willpower. Last night, I was going to cook, but I got Chinese food. I've GOT to stop doing that. I ate crap for breakfast, but at least I'm having just soup for lunch. I've got to get a hold on this. The good news ... I had no cigarettes yesterday and just one today (because BF and I had a little fight and I was stressed). Food or cigarette? I wish there was a wonder drug to stop all the cravings!

I believe my weight is now hovering around 190, although I haven't been back to WW since they told me my membership expired and I'd have to pay again to come back. I know registration is free now, but I'm not sure if I want to go back. It wasn't helping me. Making up my mind and doing it seems to be the only thing that helps.

Well, I have tons to do, so I better run.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:46 PM   #11  

Default Hello again and Happy New Year!

I just thought I would pop in to say hello to everyone. I hope you all had a nice holiday season. I certainly did.

I am now 21 weeks along in my pregnancy. Everything seems fine so far. The ultrasounds was good and we decided not to find out if it is a girl or a boy. I have been gaining weight (as expected ) but it is more than I should have gained. I know it is ok and I am supposed to gain weight but I gained way too much between my last doctor visits. And now with the holidays, I am very afraid to get weighed again DH and I are both getting back to healthy eating as of yesterday. We have eaten enough junk food to push us back to healthy food choices. I am hoping to control my gain for the rest of the pregnancy.

At least I have been exercising. I have been going to the gym 4 times a week although I have cut back on my activity level. I have a free personal training session at my gym that I am going to use to get a PG-friendly workout which I am excited about.

How is everyone here? Has anyone heard from Trish - did she have her baby? I hope you all are well. Good luck with your weight loss goals!! Take care.

Sarah B
Boomer due 5/16/02
Old 01-03-2002, 01:51 PM   #12  

Angry

Sarah ~

It is so nice to hear from you. Glad to see the pregnancy is going well. Don't worry too much about the gain. Just try to get back to eating healthy, and the weight will come off after the pregnancy (I know, I have gone thru three pregnancies!!), don't leave us, even though you aren't following WW strictly, we still want to hear from you. Oh yeah, Trish had her baby boy the day after x-mas. I believe he was about 9 lbs and they named him Alexander.

Keep in touch!
Old 01-03-2002, 02:53 PM   #13  

Angry

I just ordered the "Thin for Life" book from Amazon, anyone have it? Are you impressed?
Old 01-03-2002, 03:16 PM   #14  
Running Babe

Tonya: Yes do get Thin for Life! It is so worth it, it gives a lot of sensible advice and most of it is open ended like some things work for some while other things work for others. She does share guidelines from her research, but basically weight loss and maintanance are individual things so she makes sure that everyone realizes that.

Take Care!

Ali
Old 01-03-2002, 06:49 PM   #15  
Proud Canadian

Wow - you guys had such a chatty day. It was absolutely crazy at work today, barely any time to run to the washroom, which is a bad thing with the amount of water I drink. Hey, I hear you on the mid morning snack. My favourite is fruit leather - the kind I get is only 2 pts and sweet!
My little sister just e-mailed me and asked me to take yoga with her. it will be a good way to spend some time together and yay organized fitness!!
Well, I have to get back but I hope everyone is still having a good day.
KT
Closed Thread