Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/222/150

Height: 5'3

Default On the go - Protein breakfast ideas??

This is my first stop, first post, and I really hope ya'll can help me with this.. I need to start making some major changes to my lifestyle and my first step is SAYING NO TO GOING FAST FOOD FOR BREAKFAST.

I crave protein, but I don't have the time to scramble an egg in the morning. I usually stop either at Sonic or McDonalds (ugh I said it) for a breakfast burrito. Do any of you know of something that I can make and freeze and heat it up when I get to work? I just can't force myself to eat my "diet" plain oatmeal with splenda.. I don't want "sweet" in the morning.. I don't even crave bread!?
Rapvnzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM   #2  

Hello Rapvnzle.. I'm glad you brought this question up. I am interested in some ideas too. I recently started working out with a trainer and this was our second meeting. She chose Thursday mornings at 8:30am. I didn't realize how hard it was going to be until actually trying to get a husband up, dressed and off to work AND three elementary aged kids up, dressed and taken to school. I needed to get dressed and then to the gym by 8:30. Um... I needed breakfast, right?

The first meeting I had with her, I did not have any protein prior to working out. I really wanted to make sure I had my protein this time. On my way out the door, I grabbed 2 high fiber muffins, for my carbs... a banana for my fruit and a chocolate slimfast Meal-On-the-Go drink. It worked. I didn't feel sick afterwards. But.... was that an ok thing to do??

I'm interested in what others may say I should have done... or would this be a good meal to use each week.
diannawv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I do breakfast prep the night before--I saute some veggies or season some black beans--and then throw together an egg white omelet or frittata in the morning. It takes fewer than 10 minutes to put together an omelet, really.

Lumifan has a recipe for egg muffins that I think she feezes and heats up in the oven in the mornings. She's posted the recipe several times, so you'll probably be able to find it with a search.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #4  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I say hard boil some eggs and keep them in the fridge...a couple of those with an apple or some strawberries is a good breakfast full of protein...this morning I took and hardboiled 2 eggs and squished them on some light toast with a slice of tomato and onion and salt and pepper for a REALLY good sandwich. I cut up an apple with it and it fills me up for at least 4 hours.

Egg white omelettes are also a good choice...they really don't take that long especially if you chop the veggies the night before..like mushrooms, green pepper, onion and whatever else you like in them. That and a fruit smoothie would be a good choice to get you going.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/172/130

Height: 5'5"

Have you tried some of the Kashi cereals? (you can find them in the natural food section of your grocery store). They are high in protein and fiber. For example, one serving of the Honey Almond Clusters have 9 grams of protein (and 8 g. fiber) and that doesn't count the milk. With the 1/2 cup milk, you'd get 13.2 g protein with no prep time.
Journey1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

If your office has a microwave and or fridge, then the possibilities are endless. There are meal to go shakes, bars etc. You can also find healthy frozen breakfast meals, that you can pack and heat up the instant you get to work, dont forget your fork!

Also, if you have a fridge handy, prefill a take-a-long jug with milk, and bring along some cereal in a tupperware bowl with a lid. I personally try to eat my cereal everyday, otherwise I get hungry by 10 and I'm eating my lunch by 10:30, then I'm without food till 6:45 and I'm starving all day!

If you like yogurt, you can do that with some fruit for breakfast. Also, I know people who make toast at home, butter it or spread jam over it, wrap it in aluminum foil and eat it when they get to work. I've also scrambled an egg or two, then tossed in some cheese and put that in aluminum foil and eaten it when I've arrived at work.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #7  
hara hachi bu

I do the hard-boiled egg thing, too. Sometimes I have just a piece of meat for breakfast (lean ham steak), or I have cottage cheese or even yogurt for protein.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #8  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

How about some sort of trail mix? If you get one low on sugar (no chocolate chips) and really high in almonds, then you could get your protein and fiber to get you through.

I make my own that I love. I use Cheerios, almonds, freeze dried strawberries and sometimes some raisins. It really is tasty.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #9  
Dieting Diva

i make these breakfast cookies. I make the recipe for ten and end up making 20 smaller cookies. They are big on carbs and protein, but low on fat. I think the calcium boost is really a winner for one. I eat one a day and have some yogurt mid morning. My son has football practice in the morning so he eats a couple every day.
They aren't so sweet, but it's not the oatmeal and splenda ( yukkk !) that you are worried about. It's like a cookie-but more filling.
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:30 AM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Nonfat yogurt and cottage cheese are both high in protein and make a good breakfast. My standard breakfast is 1 cup Trader Joe's plain nonfat yogurt with 1/2 cup Trader Joe's High Fiber Cereal (similar to Fiber One) and 2 oz raspberries. This comes to around 200 calories, with .5g fat, 23g carbs (7g fiber), and 22g protein.

If I am working out in the morning, I usually don't eat until afterwards. I really have to wait an hour after eating before I work out and I usually don't want to get up early enough to do that. Sometimes I might eat a small piece of fruit before heading over to the gym, but that's usually it.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote