Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life - Aug 27/07

Good morning Lifers, soon-to-be Lifers, and anyone else lurking that would like to join us!

I've been able to string together some good days with eating and it's been a real challenge. I will admit that I have dipped into the WPA's but didn't use all of them so I feel good about that. I talked with my leader after the meeting last week and asked her if I could "turn in my journal" to her this week. I know that will keep me "honest". I've used the online journal this week and before I eat I've been logging in my foods and that seems to be helping.

The weather here has been gorgeous--warm days and cool nights. Tomorrow we're supposed to see the return of the humidity but it's only for a day so I can live with that.

DS #2 had his orientation today--it's hard to believe he's starting his junior year in high school! He's been busy with football practice so he keeps me on the run.

I have my doctor's appt this afternoon with my ob/gyn and hopefully things will be moving forward. She also wants to schedule a D&C.

I hope everyone is doing well! I'm looking forward to the long weekend, even if part of it will be taken up with the festival.
MelissaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:56 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Hi ladies! Looks like I am well on my way to reaching my WW goal I think this Saturday when I go to WI I will officially not have to pay for my meetings anymore! However, my personal goal is still lower, so I'm keeping on keeping on.

I'm looking forward to the long weekend too! Going to visit my SIL & BIL and their kids. Also going to paint my bedroom and maybe replace the kitchen floor with some new vinyl. Lots of house projects. Probably won't get them all done, but I'd sure as heck like to try! This is the second weekend in a row I'm actually not working overtime. After this though, its back to 6 day weeks for 3-4 weeks, and FINALLY (after almost the whole summer) I won't have to work any overtime At least I get paid for it!

Melissa - One thing I KNOW I have to do even for maintenance is to still keep my journal. I was doing the monthly pass (since I was weighing every week and had to pay, being a lifetime member over her goal), but I just switched to eTools. I LOVE my eTools! BTW, what is a D&C?
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #3  

Height: 6'0"

Sorry I've been absent, but DH had surgery on Monday for a melanoma on his ear. It was pretty scary; he was not concerned, but as soon as I heard "melanoma," I was upset. The doctor said we caught it early and he was confident. After the surgery, the doctor found another spot on DH's arm and another biopsy was done. Not sure what that is.

I saw this dark spot on DH's ear several months ago and told him to go to the doctor. He wouldn't. Then his hairdresser said that she didn't like that spot on his ear. THEN he wanted to go to the doctor. I'm so glad he did. DH is a marathon runner and is outside a lot. Up to now, DH has refused to wear sunscreen (he will now).

Melissa, maybe showing your journal to someone else will be good. Perhaps your leader will see something that you don't. I envy your weather. It's been so hot here that the weather folks believe we will set a new record for August!

Is the D&C (dilation and curettage) supposed to help you with too much bleeding? I had a D&C years ago and it did help.

Lori, you're doing so well. I, too, met my goal, but kept going. My personal goal is 8-10 pounds below my WW goal. It makes me feel better, but sometimes it's difficult.
Domina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #4  

Hi! It's beautiful here, although the humidity has crept back in. We're supposed to hit the upper 80's later today and then cool back off for the weekend.

Lori: I love e-tools too! As a receptionist we get it free so I try to keep up with things. I've been using the online journal and it has helped. It's also helping knowing that I'm going to be turning it into my leader. D&C (dilation and curettage) is used for abnormal bleeding/fibroid removal.

Lisa: My dad has had a number of spots removed from his face. The good part is that it's easily treated. My dad still refuses to use sunscreen (he's 79). Glad your DH took care of it! The doctor said the D&C would help with both the heavy bleeding and the fibroid. I had the biopsy done yesterday and have another appointment set up for next Friday afternoon to discuss the results and where we're going from here. I'm not crazy about have two TOM visits in such a short span!

On an up note, I was down .4 at today's WI; I wanted more but at least it's down. Next week my WW exercise buddy and I are back to walking 2 days a week over the lunch hour. I need to get moving! I'm also going to try and squeeze in a walk before work, even if it's only a short 10-15 minute one!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #5  

Melissa, Hope things work out at the doctor. Congrats on the loss. It's good that you'll be walking again.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #6  

Good luck with the procedure Melissa! I have fibroids, but the doctors have never recommended doing anything about it. I did have an ovarian cyst removed a year ago, but that was it.

Domina I'm sorry to hear about your husband but glad he is getting treatment! Hopefully they will be able to remove all of the melanoma. Does he have to get any other treatments besides that?

Well ladies, the past couple of days have been alright for me. Eating has been good. Been getting exercise, but not a whole lot. I have back and hip problems... and I'm only 27 but there isn't much I can do about it. Did a bunch of housework today and apparently earned tons of points for that!

Today is my 4 year wedding anniversary. We've been together for just over 9 years now. Really doesn't feel that long! We aren't going out to eat, because I'd rather not, but I'm not sure if we're going to go out and do anything else. Maybe a movie or the arcade
Old 08-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #7  

Lori, no, the doctor thinks he got it all. DH doesn't have to have chemo or radiation (thank God). You're too young to have back and hip problems! Congrats on your anniversary. DH and I just had our 31st anniversary.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #8  

Lori: Happy Anniversary! DH and I are celebrating 25 years in September. Eating here has been pretty good, other than a little collision with potato chips last night A trick I've learned with going out to eat is to share something with my DH or else ask if I can get a smaller portion. For a special occasion I splurge a little but not overboard. Enjoy!

I called my regular doctor this afternoon because it's been 2 months since my synthroid was increased and I'm still feeling tired/draggy. I have an appointment tomorrow morning to talk with her. I just want to get rid of this tired feeling!

The temps here are gorgeous now that the cold front has moved through--it's a beautiful 68 degrees and no humidity! Perfect weather for getting outside for a walk!

Have a great night!

Hi to Susan, Pam!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #9  

Domina - I also think I'm too young to have cancer (I turned 27 in July), but hey that's life! The back and hip problems actually started before I was diagnosed with cancer, but I know for sure the back problem is completely unrelated. Its up in the air whether or not the hip issues are related. I'm in remission, but I still take targeted chemo (don't lose my hair or anything like that) everyday. I'm glad to hear the doc thinks everything is good with your husband. Is he going to have regular checkups now?

Melissa - I will usually ask for half on my plate and half in a to-go box when I order my food. You are much less likely to dig into it if its in a box and you can't see it!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:03 AM   #10  

Good morning ladies!

I had a pretty good evening and am hoping to string together a really good week. The weekend will be a bit of a challenge but I know I can make it through. I'll be getting a lot of walking in at the festival because I'm the person who walks around and collects $$ from the vendors so I'll get some nice activity points! I'm usually okay with the food because one of the vendors makes an awesome smoked turkey that I usually get without any gravy/sauce. The weather is supposed to be nice--70's and sunny which is way better than last year when we had the remnants of the hurricane dropped a ton of water here.

My appointment this morning went well--my doctor is great and she told me again that she will work with me so that I can feel better. She's increasing my synthroid another .25 and then we'll do some blood tests in October to see where my levels are at. I'm so glad/happy to have found her!

Lori: Did you end up doing anything last evening? I guess in this day and age you're never too young to have cancer. The good thing is that the survival rate for a lot of it is good if you have early detection. I'm cautious about my skin because my dad has had skin cancer and has had several surgeries to remove spots. I slipped a couple of years ago and twisted my back and ended up with a deep muscle sprain--my back has never been the same and the doctor told me that I'll know when I push myself too much. Snow shoveling in the winter definitely puts me over the edge!

Lisa: I know the weather in FL has been monstrously hot...we've been pretty lucky with our weather. Last night was nice, cool and perfect for sleeping with the windows open! I love the Fall with the warms days and cool nights.

So what's everyone doing for the holiday weekend? I'll be tied up with German Fest Saturday/Sunday and Monday I'm going to relax and head to a picnic/party with DH.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:43 AM   #11  

Melissa - Early detection is KEY! I have leukemia, and before I was diagnosed I was sick. Quite a few times. Every time I went in to the office, they did a CBC and I got to watch my platelet and white blood count rise. It was the earliest I think anyone could have detected it. Most people don't know they have it until they go in for their annual exam and have a white count through the roof. I was VERY lucky! I have two bulging discs in my back, and they told me I have degenerative disc disease. At first, it was SO bad I couldn't even sit in a chair without crying. Standing hurt too. Only laying down felt ok, but they said that was bad since I was hurting the problem and not helping by building up stomach muscles. I started walking more, and that helped a lot along with stretches they gave me. Since I've lost weight, I haven't had ANY problems with my back, though. Less weight for those discs to hold up

Didn't do anything last night at all! We had leftover Shepherd's Pie (since I didn't want to go out to eat, POINT-wise and money-wise) and went for a short walk. We were thinking about going out and doing something, but we were both sooooo tired that we ended up vegging in front of the TV and going to bed early. But hey, I guess we needed it!
Old 08-31-2007, 03:16 PM   #12  

Lori: That's great that with the weight loss that your back is better. The extra weight really does make a difference. I love Shepherd's pie...it's a great comfort food. Last night must've been the night for just "vegging out" because I did the same thing!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:55 AM   #13  

It's been a nice weekend so far. DH and I played golf with some friends on Saturday. We had a cookout with some other friends on Sunday. We've had some terrible storms with awful lightning and thunder (windows rattle), but we needed the rain.

Melissa, I'm so glad your doctor is helping you and that you feel encouraged. Keep us posted. Are you definitely going to have the D&C? Each year, I envy you going to that German festival. It sounds like so much fun. Aaaah, your weather sounds divine. It has been so HOT here, but it's Florida. Now that it's September we can hope for some relief. Hey, as long as we don't get any hurricanes, I'm a happy camper.

Lori, I'm so sorry you have leukemia. That is a terrible disease. One of our friends was diagnosed a couple years ago. He was just tired all the time, yet he was athletic and a healthy guy. He's also in remission. Yes, less weight means less backaches. I know that I stopped having all sorts of aches when I lost my weight. It was amazing. I have a friend who definitely needs to lose about 50 pounds and she complains about her back and her knees and her ankles. I've mentioned that losing weight would help and she said she's not motivated! DUH! Lori, congrats on reaching your goal. I also posted on your other thread.