Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Default Birthday/Vacation Melt Down!

I have been on vacation for the past two weeks, during which time I went away for my birthday.

I'm not sure whether it was being off my schedule (can I be THAT Type-A??) or the unending stream of cr*p food or being a little more bummed about turning 40 than I thought, but I went crazy! I ate darn near everything that didn't try to eat me this past week. I'm not a big Coldstone Creamery fan and I still ate a huge brownie thing this afternoon!

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I'm so glad I'm going back to work tomorrow. I have my snacks for the week packed and waiting in the refrigerator and I just cooked a bunch of chicken breast for lunches. Work is my only hope of getting back on plan.

Either I'm insane or I have been possessed by an evil spirit. Has anyone else had (having) this type of melt down?
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Vacations and "special" events ALWAYS do that to me. You are handling it beautifully by getting right back on track. If it helps - I always think "a 2 week vacation didn't make me fat." It was years of eating too much of the wrong food ALL THE TIME that made me heavy.

You are going to be fine!! Back on track - keep on going!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #3  

Thanks for the support and encouragement. It means a lot.

What troubles me the most is that I expected that after six months, I'd be better able to resist garbage food and covert family pressure to eat. Instead, I folded like a house of cards. (I'm afraid to go near the scale right now.)

I see that you've been maintaining for two years (WOW!!). I'd love any tips you can offer because the holidays are coming up and I'll be faced with this again. Hopefully, next time will be more successful.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I usually fold too. I try to eat before I go so I'm not hungry, but I can eat when I'm not hungry so that doesn't help much, I just really overeat.

My coping mechanism is to make sure that it is a limited event (one meal, for example) and I immediately get back on track.

I have been maintaining for over 2 years and there have been a LOT of poor eating choices (both planned and unplanned) those blips did not derail my progress because I kept them "blips." I spent time in Vegas (hellooo, Paris buffet!) I had a 5 course menu at the Herb Farm in WA, each course paired with wine, I spent Christmas at my mom's house in Texas (where the table groans with southern food) - my weight has been stable within 4 lbs the entire time. If I come home from vacation, I hit the grocery store on the way into town and get right back on track the next day, every time.

It's actually really good practice for maintenance. Our culture, our lives are food based, food is love, celebration, family, parties, birthdays, holidays. How you handle it, how you forgive yourself, how you move on, how you enjoy yourself - those are all real life lessons for how you're going to manage your weight/food for the rest of your life.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:36 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I've had several meltdowns this summer. I go away most weekends and stay with friends. It is an extremely social time and it's basically a non-stop food fest of unbelievable proportions.

When I was in the losing portion of my journey nothing seemed to deter me. Since entering the maintenance part of my journey - well that was a whole other matter.

But I did manage to get right back on track each and every Monday. I didn't make it an option NOT TO. It wasn't up for discussion and there's no need to ponder it. If it's a rule that you have, well then there's nothing to think about, you just do it. I think that for me has been the key. I've learned that going off plan, doesn't mean STAYING off plan and therefore getting heavy again. It was a big relief to discover this, since basically while I was losing, I didn't go off plan.

Vacations, holidays, stress - whatever - is always going to happen. And there ARE going to be off plan meals, even days. Dare I say, even weeks. And they are part of life. Knowing this, accepting this and moving foward from this and getting back with the program - pronto - each and every time, is what it's all about. The more times you DO get back on track quickly after a slip up, the more confidence you will have the next time it occurs.

Good luck. And Happy Birthday!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #6  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Kylie: Happy birthday, my near twin!

I understand where you're coming from. For me, it's not so much vacations: with the rare exception of trips to suburban **** to see my MIL, our vacations tend to be more active than "regular" life.

The weekends, though, are pretty much a snacking free-for-all, especially if I spend them at home puttering around the house. Even if I stock the fridge with healthy foods, I still overeat. This morning I feel like a giant green grape, with baby carrots for arms and legs and raw cauliflower for hair.

Glad you're recommitting. I'm right there with you!

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/129

Height: 5'4

Glory, this statement is SO true --"a 2 week vacation didn't make me fat. It was years of eating too much of the wrong food ALL THE TIME that made me heavy." I'd never thought of it that way and I ought to because I get super stressed out if I'm off plan for one lousy meal. Thanks for the insight.

Kylie, I am also worried about the holidays. My birthday is also in December so I have an extra day of celebrating. I have to try to keep Glory's point in mind. Just make the best choices you can and if you slip up a little, just get right back on the saddle at the next meal. I think exercise will also help immensely during the holidays. Exercise is a stress reliever for me and the endorphins will definitely keep me focused.

Kaw, I also overeat healthy foods sometimes. It's definitely better than overeating junk but the calories still rack up! Not to mention, my tummy does not appreciate being overstuffed. Anyone have strategies for overcoming this?
Sweet Amor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:28 PM   #8  

You guys are seriously THE BEST. I got a lot out of your suggestions. Even though I'm up three pounds from my ticker, the week has been good and I feel back on track.

Rockin Robin--You're on the money. There is no other option than getting back on plan. Period.

Glory--Thanks for the perspective check. Some times I'll spin things to the point where one day becomes paramount! I will keep your comment "2 weeks (or even a couple days) didn't make me fat" in mind when I slip.

Kim--Hey, twin! I loved the mental picture of you as veggie-girl. Frankly, last Sunday I felt more like a Moon Pie with feet. Hopefully, the week was a better one for you!

Thanks again for the tips and the encouragement. How'd I get so lucky to have you guys?
Old 09-01-2007, 04:38 AM   #9  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Kylie - I think that sometimes we get an idea stuck in our heads and it is VERY hard to get it out. I had heard, and read, that it takes a few weeks to break a habit, or to start a new one. NOT WITH ME!!!! It took me MONTHS, and sometimes close to a year or MORE to break some habits 'totally' and to start some new ones. I mentioned this to my doctor and she said that this is perfectly normal.

I have a feeling that people 'think' they have broken a habit after a few weeks, because it is easier to resist the temptation or whatever they are trying to do, but that little 'niggle' is still there in the back of your mind, which means that the habit hasn't really been broken, just bent a little.

Please don't feel discouraged that you still had cravings or whatever when you were on holiday. It took me probably 12 months before I actually didn't WANT takeaway meals. Before that I was able to not have them, simply because I knew I 'shouldn't' have them, but I still WANTED them. Now I don't think I would eat a takeaway meal (other than a plain old salad or Subway) if you handed it to me and told me that it didn't have any calories or fat in it. I am simply not interested in it now. But it took me a L-O-N-G time to get this way. Give yourself time. It WILL come.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote