Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 283/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Scale Shenanigans

Ugh. So frustrating. I bought a new digital scale to replace the old dial one that I had--easier to read, less guessing if the needle was on the 3 hash mark or the 4, etc. I got on my new scale for weigh-in day, and was astonished to see that I had gained 8 lbs from the day before. I knew that was highly unlikely, so I checked my old scale. Yep, I was down a pound from the previous day on that one. As it turns out, my old scale was off by almost 10 pounds--underweighing.

It isn't the biggest deal, and I am down 11 pounds in two weeks (according to the new scale), but it was just one of those "could have done without that" moments. I feel, despite losing 11 pounds, I'm right where I started. I know I shouldn't focus on the numbers--I've made definite progress in lifestyle changes and am eating far better and exercising and these are all good things, but there is power in that number on the scale and it's a little disheartening. Well, off to adjust my ticker. Boo.
Bobbie Wickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I feel your pain. I have one of those old dial scales and it IS hard to read the numbers sometimes. Plus, I have to get on and off 3 times and take the average. Some days the numbers are all the same and other days they are quite different (if you can interpret the hash marks).

But I think my scale is lower than any other scale would be! And even after losing 120 pounds, I don't want a "setback"! Even though I know it's not "real" and I really did lose the weight!

Good luck on resetting psychologically, but that IS all it is!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #3  
I restore Teeth.

awwww I feel your pain! I would hate having that happen. It feels alright, losing some but actually starting at square one... Did you try to calibrate both scales using weights?
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I did. I wanted to see how much the one was off and if my new one was accurate. Alas, the new one was right on target and the old one definitely underweighs. It told me that 20 lbs was 11 lbs. If only... I'm still losing, so I'm most definitely pleased about that, it's just so annoying that I have 10 or so lbs more to go than I initially thought. Grrr. At least I want to vent my frustration with a little tennis rather than a brownie. That has to be progress, right?
Bobbie Wickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

The exact same thing happened to me part way through my weight loss journey. I adjusted my highest weight upwards so I could still say I'd lost the exact same amount of weight and that made me feel much better. It's still just a number, though, and you should be proud that you have lost 11 pounds. That's a lot of weight no matter what you started at.
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Oh how frustrating! Tennis is definitely a better vent than a brownie - hitting inanimate objects is always a good stress reliever!

The upside is that even with the difference between them - you've still lost the same number of pounds, and should be proud of that. It's definitely annoying to adjust your numbers, but 11lbs lost is 11lbs lost, no matter what you started at. Go you!!
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #7  
Getting Better Every Day!

Location: Ireland - The green green grass and the grey grey skies

Height: 5ft 11"

the same happened me stupid scales
ih8diets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I didn't have that happen to me but i was afraid it might happen when i switched from dial scales to digital ones. But i agree...11 pounds lost is 11 pounds lost. Good job on the weight loss. I'm kinda of vein, so i'd probably set my original weight up that 11 pounds so i could still count my 11 pound loss. But it is just a number and as you get thinner, it won't matter how high you started off from. You'll just be glad to be down to a thinner you!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #9  
I restore Teeth.

awwww. just hold on to the brownie thought til you win a match
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote