Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 02:27 PM   #1  

Default 12 Week Challenge -- Week 4 -- Dec 31 - Jan 6

Hey there all surviving Challengettes!

It's Week 4 of the Challenge... and a brand new year to boot!

Ok, so we know that the New Year always seems to get us reflecting on what we've done, and what we want to do.

I'd also like us to tweak it a bit in terms of what we've done to help ourselves... and what we'd like to concentrate on for the next month to help us get there.

The determination alone that has kept you guys coming back - has always been such an inspiration to me.

I'd also like to throw in the question: What makes this commitment worthwhile? Why come back? What enjoyment can we get out of this, besides "just" satisfaction. For me sometimes January can tend to be a doldrum month and I don't want to let myself go there. Any ideas?
Old 01-01-2002, 05:11 PM   #2  

Hi,

Okay. Tomorrow I join the challenge. I am lifetime but am up 9 pounds over goal. That's a lot because I only had to lose about 15 to get there, and in fact had been 5 pounds under goal (still a very healthy and safe weight for me) a year ago. My family has had a tough and stressful year and I just haven't been able to get through it without turning to that old short term food fix.

So, how does this challenge work again? We all post our week's numbers on a Sunday? I hope I can stick with this as I am feel pretty bummed out about the weight gain. Medical issues limit my exercise choices to just walking and boy is it cold out here on the east coast. So, I really need to stick to the numbers.

A healthy, happy and safe new year to you all.

Saturngirl.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:10 PM   #3  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

Welcome Saturngirl!

While I've been holding my own, the past few weeks I've been feeling like I am losing control. I've stayed OP (barely) but it has been a struggle doing so. This week due to commitments I am going to be exercising less and that scares me. That means I can't keep eating at the top of my range and beyond like I've been doing. Today was a good day. I ate at the low end of my range. Hopefully I can keep this up. What I want to do is approach program as if I just joined and get back to basics and muster all the motivation I can get my hands on. I have come far since May, when things seemed to click again. I don't want to lose that. Getting back to goal is within my reach. This is not the time to falter. Thank God for this board and others like it and the e-mail lists I belong to. You guys keep me together when I feel like I am starting to slip.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:08 AM   #4  

Welcome Saturngirl -- we're glad to have ya. I think for so many of us this past year has been a very tough one and the holidays, while often a blessing in terms of family and friends, can definitely add to the stress.

But amazingly here we are! And I think that says a lot about our grit, determination, and (thank G-d) sense of humor. I tend to post my numbers midweek and then edit and add to them. Others wait 'til the end of the week and post all at once. It's definitely whatever suits your fancy. We also post our weekly weighins here to see how we're doing as it relates to our week's worth of daily points. It also has really helped me to use our online daily journal to see how I'm doing foodwise. Hang in there a number of us have also gone through medical trials - so know you're not alone. By the way... quite a few of us are walkers as well!

Myra - you truly are doing so well. This holiday season, I really lost it... what I really admired was that you kept on posting - no matter what - and from what I saw, your points were right within range. Like you, I'm going to focus on getting back to the basics.

M --- 32 - 5 activity = 27
Tu -- 35 - 3 activity = 32
We - 28.5 - 2 activity = 26.5
Th -- 25 -- earned 2 activity
F --- 23 banked 2
Sa -- 45 (yep) - 10 actvty pts = 35
Su -- est 25

Last edited by patch30; 01-06-2002 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:12 PM   #5  

Happy New Year to all.

I'm happy to be back to work and to have some semblance of normalcy once again. I definitely ate way too much this year, altho it isn't yet reflected on the scale. That will likely happen just before my official weigh-in for January. I expect I'll be doing that this coming Saturday.

Welcome Saturngirl. Your timing is good; we'll all be on the straight and narrow for the next few months cause -- guess what -- bathing suit season isn't that far away

Myra: You're doing just great. Journaling over the holidays gets top marks in my books. You're so close to goal - and you're gonna get there!

Patch: Re this week's topic - I would like to do what several others have already mentioned - work the program like it was my first week. I'm off to a good start - went out for a resolution run yesterday (my knees are still aching...it had been three weeks ) and I'm where I want to be with points so far today.

Beautiful sunny day here in Halifax. Hope you're all enjoying the same wherever you are.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:52 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Welcome Saturngirl!

Myra: At my meeting you would've gotten a bravo sticker for keeping your journal over the holidays! Try as I might I have some blank days from the holidays and those days were not low pointers! Give yourself a nice pat on the back

I went to my meeting today at noon and was a little scared of where I was at but surprisingly I was down the 1.4# I had gained the last week. I'm doing the happy dance because of the 1.4 loss I didn't have to pay! I'm right at the top of my ww goal of 2# over so I don't have room to play.

Patch: You always come up with some good topics! I'd like to concentrate on the same as the others--working the program like I am a new member, catch the excitement of keeping my journal, looking at things with a fresh outlook, and trying new recipes.

What makes this commitment worthwhile? For me it's fitting into the same clothes as last year...being able to pull something out of the closet and being able to pull it on with confidence knowing that I can still wear it and just the overall feeling of accomplishment.

I'm thinking that since January tends to become so dull that maybe I need to make a mini goal of buying something colorful to wear as a pick-me-up or splurging on a new nail polish or something like that.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:14 PM   #7  
Lifetimer

I'm so happy for you, Melissa! Hopefully your good WI can rub off on me. Keep your fingers crossed. I WI in about an hour. I am sure I gained. I only hope by a miracle I maintained.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:34 PM   #8  

Default I'm baaaack

Hey Patch and everyone! Happy New Year. My apologies for so abruptly abandoning during a previous challenge. Being busy is no excuse so I guess I can't give one.

Everything has been going well. I reached lifetime in November (yay) and have been maintaining very well. But, I have to admit I totally fell off the wagon over Christmas. The scale doesn't show it but my growling stomach and the constant urge to eat everything in sight is making me walk on dangerous ground. So, as of today, back on program. That's it folks - no more foolin' around.

Water
Exercise
Good for me food

It's a new year and a new me. Last year at this time I was 40 lbs heavier so I think I'm already off to a great start. Here we go folks - let's make it a great year and let's do it together.

Patch, thanks as always for taking the initiative to motivate us!

Kena

173.2 Start
140.0 Goal
136.0 present
Old 01-02-2002, 05:37 PM   #9  

Melissa - this news of your 1.4 lb weight loss is just too cool. I'm doing a major happy dance for you.

Kena what great news about reaching lifetime this November. This is the stuff I keep coming back for.

Myra regardless of what the scale says, we all know how you've been workin' it... so be proud of how you have held on and stayed on program (unlike me).

But as Kena just said... "no more foolin' around for me" I probably won't be going on the scale until next Monday.

What makes this commitment worthwhile? like Melissa, I really do love putting on clothes that a year ago were "snug" again and now are loose. I love that I bought a dress for New Years (on sale) that was a size 6 and it fit. I loved that I was able to go skiing (yes I had a great time!) and was wearing longjohns under my jeans and still had room! I love the fact that my DH can't keep his hands off me. I know that sounds like a bragfest... and I don't mean it to, but this is why I keep coming back. Melissa I like you're idea of a reward for getting through this month, I'll have to think on that.
Old 01-02-2002, 05:49 PM   #10  

Bet you all thought I was gone for good--just screwed up--didn't remember that you were on a different page each week. I.m doing ok. Had my first gain last week .6 pounds. Sure hope to see a loss tomorrow--had a few days I didn't journal--I'm still finding it hard to figure points when we eat out etc. but I'm trying. Today I ate out but I'm not worrried about the points--stuck mainly with the freebies--salad etc. Did have a small piece of cheesecake but I allowed for it--so hopefully the scale will be kind tomorrow. Really want to be down the .6 I regained over Christmas and a little more I'll post my numbers tomorrow!
Jo
Old 01-02-2002, 07:48 PM   #11  
Lifetimer

Just back from my meeting, and yes, I did gain, but less than I thought I would. Just .4 lb.

Here are my numbers:

Range: 20-25

Thursday 30.5
Friday 24
Saturday 23
Sunday 24
Monday 25.5
Tuesday 19
Wednesday (so far) 22
Old 01-03-2002, 04:16 PM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

Myra: That's not at all bad! You did really good! That .4 will be gone next week.

Grandma: Hope your WI goes well for you tomorrow!
Old 01-03-2002, 06:00 PM   #13  

Hi all--no time to post my numbers for the week but I did weigh this morning. I DID lose .6 pounds YEA--the only sad part is that it was the same .6 I had regained last week Can't make a habit of that----I will string 7 good days in a row this week--thats my challenge to myself---
Jo
Old 01-04-2002, 10:29 AM   #14  

Hi everyone. Just checking in after the Christmas break. I haven't weighed myself (being the chicken that I am) this week but I wore one of my smaller pairs of jeans today and they don't feel half bad, so I'm hopeful.

Congrats to Jo and Melissa and also to Myra 'cause I don't consider a .4 gain at Christmas a real gain!

I downloaded a wonderful tool from the internet yesterday and thought I would pass the word along in case I'm not the last person in the world to find out about it. For anyone with an electronic organizer , there is a free program called wwcalc on the palm gear web site - www.palmgear.com, search word wwcalc. It truly is amazing - calculates point values for food, contains the entire WW food list with corresponding point values, activity calculator, daily journal, keeps track of daily activity points, water, and banked points as well. I'm feeling a lot more confident now about my ability to journal accurately through this third challenge.

Our last function of the holiday is on Sunday - brunch at one of the bigger hotels in town. I'm looking forward to feasting on seafood, and then I'm gonna buckle down and see what I can do about reaching my dream weight - 138.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:36 PM   #15  

Major congrats to Jo, Melissa and yes you too Myra - I agree with Seasaw - a .4 gain at Christmas is pretty d-mn respectable!

Well, I finally had a day just within range without including activity points. It's funny but I'm itchin' to find out how much I weigh.

Last edited by patch30; 01-05-2002 at 04:12 PM.
Closed Thread