South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #1  

Talking Salmon!

I've got fresh salmon steaks for supper, but I'm not sure how I'd like to prepare it.. I was thinking of coating the salmon in dijon mustard and then a dusting of ground almonds for a nice crust..

what's your favorite salmon recipe??

PS: What are you having for dinner?
Old 08-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #2  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I don't eat fish, but I do remember my mom making salmon patties and homemade mac n cheese when I was a kid. One of our favorite meals that she made.

Tonight I'm having a large salad with tomatoes and green peppers, some leftover Black Bean & Rice Bake (see Ph2 Entrees,) and.... maybe some SF brownies for dessert, I'm not sure yet.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I personally don't like Salmon, but DH loves it with just a light dusting of lemon pepper - and baked. He likes it with cous-cous, and fresh green beans. Usually I eat the beans

Dinner - leftovers. I roasted a turkey breast this weekend, so I might do cold sandwiches... Or, I made what I'm calling "Chicken Parm on the Beach"

I took a yellow summer squash, and used my shredder/peeler to make 'spaghetti' out of it. I seasoned that with a little garlic and salt, and put that into the bottom of a baking dish. Then I put some home made sauce of crushed tomato, a touch of tomato paste, onion, garlic, and mushrooms on top of the "spaghetti". Topped that with a thin layer of mozz cheese, then some raw chicken breast. Topped the chicken with sauce, and baked for about 1 hour. Then I topped it all off with a little more mozz and parm cheese, and dinner was ready.

It was really yummy - I just wish the squash wasn't so watery... but the pieces were so thin, I didn't want to pre bake them to dry them out - that would've been a mess.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #4  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Oooh - I'm jumping in here to say that I am having salmon tonight, too - with a herb and garlic sauce! Loads of protein - will have it with corn and couscous
Old 08-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 168/157/125

Height: 5 and nothing more

Since I live in the NW I eat salmon all the time. After years of cooking it different ways I found that I was overcooking and making mushy fish. So here is the solution I learned from a professional chef- heat a heavy skillet at medium high heat with a bit of good olive oil. Salt the fish with kosher salt. Throw the salmon in skin side down. When it turns color half way through the slice flip it over. Add fresh garlic to the pan. A 2 inch thick slice takes about 6 minutes a side. Searing quickly this way keeps the moisture in and gives a nice crisp outside.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #6  

This is what I ended up making:

Balsamic Glazed Salmon (ALL PHASES)

Reducing balsamic vinegar turns it into a thick and flavorful glaze that that, because of its sweet taste, pairs perfectly with rich salmon. Once you have this easy sauce mastered you can try it on grilled steaks, chicken or pork.

4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
1 C Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice

Heat oven to 450F.
Season salmon with salt and pepper; place in oven-proof baking dish and bake until opaque throughout, 10-12 minutes.

While fish is cooking, place vinegar in small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until reduced to 1/3 cup, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat, whisk in oil and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Place salmon on serving plates and drizzle with glaze.

Makes 4 Servings

380 Calories, 21g fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 34g protein, 9g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 100 mg. cholesterol, 190 mg. sodium

It was pretty tastey, though I don't recommend using raspberry balsamic vinegar, it was a little too sweet lol but that's all I had.. 2 cheese spaghetti squash was on the side
Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #7  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

Mm salmon is good. Oddly enough- I like it plain! At school they just plop a hunk of fish on the grill- no seasoning- and it is mouth watering! Even better with mango chutney but since only in a perfect world would that have no added sugar... :P

I take a piece of salmon and throw it on my George Foreman grill. Occasionally I'll add a pinch of dill and pepper, but not usually.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I made this the other night and it was really good. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._36449,00.htmlI used some reduced calorie honey mustard salad dressing.

The balsamic recipe sounds really good too.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:24 AM   #9  
I am so hungry

now I am really hungry
Closed Thread