Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #1  

Default Natural Help?

Does anyone know if there are herbal and diet solutions to dealing with depression? I am not sure where else to post this. Thanks for the help.
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #2  

There are two herbal supplements that are used for depression with a great deal of success (especially if your depression is in the moderate range, not severe). St. John's Wort and Sam-E. Both have had clinical trials done on them and both work. Sam-E is even prescribed for depression in Europe. I would make sure you discuss this with your Dr. if possible or at the very least, make sure you read up on one or both of these before your start taking them. Both are safe as long as they are taken at the recommended doses. It does take a couple of weeks for either to really start working. I would not take both, but rather choose one or the other. Sam-E is typically more expensive than St. John's Wort. Some people also use 5-HTP for depression as well, but there are arguments in the natural health community over the safety of taking this long term.
auntvonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntvonna View Post
Both are safe as long as they are taken at the recommended doses.
I don't know about Sam-E but I do know that St. John's Wort can interfere with many depression meds. I would strongly recommend you to see your doctor before starting these - especially if you are on meds.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #4  
I am so hungry

Melissa officinalis works fine for me
Angelina 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #5  

I totally agree with Settie, you should never mix herbal remedies for depression with prescription anti-depressants. You should also check with your Dr or Pharmacist for interactions with any other type of medication you are taking before starting the herbal therapy. People take herbs, thinking they are "safe" because they are natural. They are like any other drug on the market, they can be safe if used properly, but if mixed with the wrong things, can be deadly, just like any other medication. Do your homework before starting ANY herbal remedy.
auntvonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Even if you're not taking other medications, I believe St John's wort increases you're sensitivity to the sun and tendency to sunburn. Don't quote me on that, just do your homework if you decide to try it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by settie View Post
I would strongly recommend you to see your doctor before starting these - especially if you are on meds.
Ditto's........ you should never take medical advice given over the internet. Best thing you can do for yourself is discuss it with your doctor.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:33 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

BUT - on a similarly natural but less supplement route, the single most important action I have taken for my depression was beginning a regular, cardio-focused, consistent exercise program. I've had no depressive episode since I started working out regularly, save for one that was about half as long and a quarter as intense as previous episodes.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
BUT - on a similarly natural but less supplement route, the single most important action I have taken for my depression was beginning a regular, cardio-focused, consistent exercise program. I've had no depressive episode since I started working out regularly, save for one that was about half as long and a quarter as intense as previous episodes.
I agree that an exercise program really helped once I was able to. In the midst of the worst of my depression I couldn't get out of my bedroom let alone exercise. It definitely depends on where you are in the cycle. Since my episodes have lifted somewhat and I'm able to get out, you're right I feel much better. I hope that with continued exercise it never comes back with the same vengence.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Denise, based on my experience, it probably won't. At my most depressed, i couldn't motivate to exercise either...i was barely getting out of bed. But if you are able, it can really help.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Hey, I'd suggest making an appointment with a reputable Naturopathic doctor (ND) before taking things. An ND can provide you with a holistic approach to depression looking at all environmental factors (not enough sleep, light pollution, not enough exercise), stress, and nutrition (healthy diet, vitamin deficiencies, etc) as well.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #12  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 205/197/130

Height: 5'5"

Yes, you should never take St John's Wart with an anti-depressant. You should also never take it if you are on hormonal birth control, because it will interfere with the effectiveness of the pill.

I tried SAM-E and 5HTP. Both work reasonably well, but exercise and eating healthy really did the trick for me.
2Fat4myJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Here are some links about Foods that can boost your mood:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15490485

http://rochester.kidsoutandabout.com...ourEnergy.html

http://www.handbag.com/healthfit/diet/moodfood/

I do not take meds for depression anymore. I learned that most of what I considered depression was actually just due to my diet. I dont know of any good herbal remedies for depression itself, but I think maybe incorporating some of the tips from the links above can be helpful in elevating one's mood.

I noticed it worked for me, at least!
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

I agree on the exercise. It makes me feel better and has helped my overall depression and the anxiety to SOME extent. It is hard to get started when you feel so down but start slowly and try to stick with it.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

Yes, exercise! Besides the anecdotal evidence shared here, experimental research has shown that exercise is an effective anti-depressant for mildly to moderately depressed women. I think it's related to the release of serotonin or some related neurotransmitter.

Personally, I tried St. John's Wort when I self-diagnosed depression. I didn't notice a change (but I did have some spotting because I took it while I was on the pill). Eventually the depression got so bad that I saw a psychiatrist, I was officially diagnosed and put on Paxil, and that has made all the difference in the world. The psychiatrist at least indicated that he though St. John's Wort was an effective treatment for some people.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote